Finally had LIS surgery

LIS diary - 36 year old female

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Finally had LIS surgery

Postby Water Bear » 11 Dec 2017, 16:22

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't written for a few days - I was away interstate, managed the trip very well even though I was scared to death about having a different diet and getting dehydrated on the plane and everything associated with travelling! In the end it was all fine, even walking around for hours on end I just got a little bit sore, no dramas.

On the question of having this operation as a woman - I was terrified. I'd read that in the UK the surgery guidelines say that this operation should not be done in women hoping to have babies because of the risk of obstetric injury to an already compromised sphincter - resulting in fecal incontinence. This is why I had the Botox at the start of the year - I wanted to exhaust all my options before having the LIS surgery.

I discussed my fears with my surgeon and my GP before having the operation.

My GP said the risk of obstetric injury to the anal sphincter is a real concern but then again you are suffering now, and something has to be done about that. What if you put up with the pain of fissures for years only to find you couldn't have babies after all? Or, you end up having to have a c-section anyway?

My surgeon was almost dismissive of my concerns about future obstetric injury and incontinence - she said she was making a tiny, controlled cut to the muscle. She also said that if I did end up with problems after having a baby, she could fix them.

I would always go with my surgeon's advice - if you trust them and are comfortable with them and their experience. They don't have a crystal ball but they are the experts.

I'm three and a half weeks out from surgery and feeling great. The bottom looks totally normal. I now know that the NTG ointment and the Botox were only resulting in superficial healing - the way things have healed now, the skin looks so much more robust, less red, really just perfectly normal!

And this is probably too much information (sorry!) - but before the operation, the bottom was so overly tight that I couldn't pass anything larger than the width of a pencil without tearing. Now BMs are back to normal.

I hope everyone else is doing as well as I am!
Water Bear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 11 Dec 2017, 16:28

Thanks so much the last bit of your message is just what I needed to know because I'm the same but your whole message was helpful can't get enough info when you have a fissure as I'm sure you know thanks so much
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Water Bear » 20 Dec 2017, 15:38

Hi everyone,

Just had my post op visit to the CRS. Everything is fully healed! Tomorrow it'll be five weeks since the surgery.

I am feeling 100% again and am back to running. I am still experiencing the occasional weird sensation or shooting pain in the bottom, but I think this is to be expected with such a sensitive area. I found after my Botox treatment that it took a good six weeks just to settle down.

The CRS said to keep taking the Benefibre. She said the LIS doesn't guarantee you will never get a fissure ever again, it just ensures that if you do get one, it will heal quickly and without the awful muscle spasms.

All best wishes to everyone for a happy and pain-free Christmas!
Water Bear
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 20 Dec 2017, 15:51

So happy for you merry Christmas : )
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Finally81 » 20 Dec 2017, 16:33

That is great news! I too am feeling great! Merry Christmas/ happy holidays all!
Finally81
Fibre Addict

Postby Chris49 » 11 Jan 2018, 08:34

Had anal fissure and fistula surgery 2 months ago. After the 3 week I was almost pain free. 6 weeks post surgery I started bleeding after bm and feeling little pain.
Now 2 months post I still have bleeding on and off after bm and slight pain. I am worried if this is a sign of new fissure or failed surgery. My crs suggested to wait 2 weeks, take ibuprofen and then see him. Has anybody had problem like that?
Chris49

Postby Water Bear » 11 Jan 2018, 15:40

Hi Chris49, I actually logged into the forum today because I've had a similar experience to you over the past couple of days - at about two months post op. I think my problem was that I got a bit dehydrated in the terrible heatwave we are having here at the moment. For me it's a lesson that I still need to take care of myself.

My CRS said that the LIS doesn't stop us ever getting a fissure ever again, but it does make sure that when we do get one, it can heal. The muscle recovers a little bit over a twelve-month period post LIS, so immediately after the surgery is when it will be the loosest, then it gradually tightens back up, but it should never get as overly tight as it was before the surgery.

I hope your surgeon is able to give you some help and you start feeling better soon!
Water Bear
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Jan 2018, 16:50

Hi,
Yes having LIS doesn’t stop us getting new fissures but it really helps it heal. I had a crohns flare about 8 months after my LIS and def got a new fissure along with a little blood and spasms...it only lasted just over a week and it healed up. Once you have a fissure there can be a weakness in that area but LIS should stop the IS getting too tight to prevent healing.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Katie » 24 Jan 2018, 09:54

Hi how u both feeling now please? I'm day 9 after my lis op pain not to bad not really looking down there but it is a little swollen! no blood and not had painkillers for two days but its still sore when I go to the toliet when it passes the wound area but then goes! Going to get checked out tomorrow at the doctors but so worryed all the time about infection and getting a fistula like once I got from my first op
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 07 Feb 2018, 05:49

How are u now? X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?