What exactly is a Spasm?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What exactly is a Spasm?

Postby nprospekt » 08 Feb 2018, 13:33

Hi Everyone,

I have searched the boards here but haven't come across an answer really. (Perhaps I have but missed it completely? Sorry if this has been answered before!)

My proctologist tells me that my muscles in the anal area are very tight which is most likely the cause of my fissure(s) and why they return and don't heal.

What exactly is everyone referring to when they have a spasm? What is the feeling? How do I know if I am having them?

Besides sitz baths, GTN ointment and heating pads, does anyone have any suggestions on how to relax that area perhaps through an exercise? Tea? etc?

Thank you!
nprospekt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: What exactly is a Spasm?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 Feb 2018, 13:38

Hi me again
My best CRS described it as anything from a burning stinging ache to a ‘proper spasms’ that is like a contraction in your sphincter....having had two babies I kind of agree but think a sphincter spasms is worse than any contraction.
At my worst times I have been unable to pass gas as there is no way my sphincter would relax enough and the gaps between spasms lasted seconds at the most.
I’m sure someone will give you a better medical explanation but basically you know if your having full on spasms
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby nprospekt » 08 Feb 2018, 14:13

Hrm interesting,

I can't say I know what a contraction feels like.

I am usually gassy after Lunch for whatever reason and there are times that I know I need to pass the gas but my body wont let me unless I push extremely hard (which I of course don't do).

So I guess it is safe to say that if I have to push to pass the gas, those muscles aren't relaxing as they should?
nprospekt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Ash1988 » 08 Feb 2018, 14:15

I was also wondering about this!

I am pretty sure I am having a continual spasm, my bum just feels really tight like it’s contracting, but it’s more like a dull weird sensation that actual pain?
Ash1988
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 Feb 2018, 14:20

You could just have a high resting pressure but yes if you have to force gas out then their is probably some mild spasmsing going on.
Ash spasms don’t need to be rolling in agony screaming kind of pain...that’s just how bad it can get, spasms can be a burning aching kind of feeling too.
Also our nerves become hypersensitive the longer we have a fissure and naturally there are lots of nerves in that area for good reason but if they become hyper responsive then it can give a constant dull golf ball feeling.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Ash1988 » 08 Feb 2018, 14:31

Yeah that’s kind of the way I feel! The golf ball thing! I’m quite sad because I think my fissure is healing well!
Is it likely that these spasms will stop? I will be given Botox I think if I’m still symptomatic at my next CRS appointment
Ash1988
Salt Bather

Postby Elle1007 » 08 Feb 2018, 14:40

Ash1988. My fissure healed three weeks ago, but still have spasms after BM. Coconut oil helps as does passing gas. Releases the pressure. Pain pills don’t help.
Elle1007
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 09 Feb 2018, 02:03

Hi ash just because you ave the golf all feeling doesn’t mean your fissure won’t heal I know from mamafizz that she still had that feeling for a while after her fissure healed completely. I think we just have to give the nerves time to settle down
Mypoorbutt

Postby Ash1988 » 09 Feb 2018, 02:26

Thanks mypoor! That makes me feel hopeful! I hope you are feeling a little better!
Ash1988
Salt Bather