Worse After Botox- any hope?

Worse After Botox - any hope?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Worse After Botox- any hope?

Postby Canttakethis » 15 Feb 2018, 16:09

Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks post Botox for two CAFs that I’ve had for 14 months. I am feeling worse than before the procedure. I have more severe spasms for hours after going to the bathroom and the fissure pain is worse too. I felt like this months ago but was slightly better before the Botox. I am so sad and frustrated, to not only not be feeling better, but to be WORSE. Has anyone experienced feeling worse after Botox? Did you go back to how you felt before the procedure (manageable pain with medication- not like I’m dying)? Is there still any chance that the Botox could work? My dr said it should work by 2 weeks but I am trying to hold onto any hope. I have been doing everything I’m supposed to for months and months - meds, fibers, baths, creams, etc. and nothing has worked. So I fear this is yet another thing that didn’t work. This is my last resort before surgery which I really do not want to do as I have kids and need to take care of my family and do not want to deal with a surgical recovery. Moreover, how the heck would I explain that to my kids and everyone in my life as this is so embarrassing I haven’t told a soul except my husband. I just want this nightmare to be over. Does anyone think there is still hope this Botox could work? Thank you and hugs to all.
Canttakethis
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Worse After Botox- any hope?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Feb 2018, 06:41

Hi
Unfortunately some surgeons can be less than gentle when the patient is under anaesthetic, they will always have a look to see if anything suspicious is going on down there. This in turn can make some people very swollen and bruised internally which when we have a fissure is the last thing our sphincter needs as it will cause it to spasms more.
Please try gabapentine as it really helped me with my spasms when they were at their worst, without the effects from opioid painkillers
All I can say is that for lots of people Botox can take up to 6 weeks to kick in so all hope is not lost.
On another note LIS isn’t a terrible procedure and if you have no underlying issues most people are back to work within two weeks. I have crohns and had an awful recovery but I was out at the supermarket doing shopping the day after the op and got up every morning t get my children to school...yes when I came home I got in the bath and yes it hurt. But the reason it’s classed as a minor op is because with decent pain management there is no reason life cannot carry on as normal.
I’m a very open person and my children and all my family know about my fissure...I have suffered with crohns since my early 20’s and understand that may have made it easier for me to share. But I also think it’s important for our children whatever ages they may be to understand that people can have bottom troubles and not to be embarrassed by them. On the plus side understanding family members will offer to help more.
Plus you would be surprised by how many people have a fissure...I was discussing in the hairdressers and one of their sisters had been suffering for years.
Really good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Canttakethis » 16 Feb 2018, 15:53

Thank you! Yes I did have an exam under anesthesia. It’s the first digital exam I’ve had in about a year as my fissures are visibly noticeable and bad so no dr wanted to put my through that awake, lol. I am praying that all this new pain is from that exam and that it will go away soon. My dr called in Gabapentine for me and I will start it tonight, thank you. Hopefully that will help too. I am glad that you are able to share this with your family and friends. I wish I had the courage to do so. I do not have any underlying health issues but I am still terrified of the surgery. I guess I’m just a coward all around..... Thanks again. Wishing you and everyone here speedy recovery and continued good health.
Canttakethis
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 18 Feb 2018, 16:32

Hi how are you feeling now? Any improvement?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Canttakethis » 18 Feb 2018, 16:58

Hi. Thanks so much for asking. I am not feeling any better AT ALL. Terrible spams and pain every minute. And i’m Taking Valium, Tramadol and Gabepentin! And still feel awful! And I have a high pain threshold, especially after all this. And I’m also bleeding which hasn’t happened in months. I am so upset that I did not know that getting worse was a possible outcome of my Botox procedure. I knew I was having an “exam under anesthesia” bc the dr wanted to double check for any tumors just as an extra precaution (even though I”m an otherwise health women, in good shape, and in my early 40s, and the chances of me having anal cancer is next to none). He never once said that it was in any way possible that this would make me worse. The exam definitely made my current fissures worse than ever and I think I may have gotten additional fissures also - it hurst so much, I’m just not sure. I would have never consented to this had I know this was the potential outcome. The only possible negative outcome I was told was that the Botox might not work (and obviously it didn’t). I’m supposed to be taking my kids to Disney in less than a week and I can’t even walk or stand. The only time I feel like I’m not going to die is if I’m sitting on laying down. I feel so hopeless. I don’t even know what to do any more. How are you feeling??? I hope better.
Canttakethis
Salt Bather

Postby Elle1007 » 18 Feb 2018, 21:11

Canttakethis. How are you feeling now? 8 hope you are all better.
Elle1007
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Mypoorbutt » 19 Feb 2018, 02:34

Oh my goodness CTT that’s awful he should have told you beforehand that he was going to do that...my CRS offered me the option of taking some biopsies to check for anal cancer or peri anal crohns but was quite honest and said it could cause a new fissure or two and was I happy with him just having a look...I know he had a good look as my hems were really swollen but he didn’t do any cutting which can obviously by it’s very nature cause more wounds at the very least if not more fissures
You must be in extreme pain for it to be fighting over all those meds, I honestly don’t know what to say or to advise...have you tried GTN(nitro) cream as that helped lessen my spasms. I thankfully only had 7 weeks of pain like that and I was rolling on the floor screaming...I didn’t manage any sleep and was actually hallucinating...I’m not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t been give the GTN or what would have happened if it didn’t work. My body was at the limit of what my mind could endure.
Could you perhaps ask for LIS as your Botox plainly hasn’t worked...you could do what I did and refuse to eat for a week or two when a dr sees you losing weight so fast they are duty bound to help you and as I said to them, eating when knowing it will bring on that much pain is self torture and who does that
I truly sympathise with you and hope you somehow find a speedy resolution to this
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Elle1007 » 19 Feb 2018, 10:10

CTT. I am so very sorry. At my darkest time, I found that none of the heavy duty pills that you listed worked at all. The creams did not work either -for me. My problem was the awful anal spasms which would last for about five hours after BM. Maybe this might help: What worked for me were: 3 Advil 30 minutes before BM, baths, hot water pad or bottle to sit on, and using coconut oil as a suppository before BM and after. Also, I took stool softeners at night.

Also, when it was at its worst I was so depressed, angry and sad about it all. I felt like it was ruling my life. So one day, I just made myself carry on and live with the pain. No-one understands, unless they have had this pain. Plus it is embarrassing to talk about.

I am sending you best wishes for wellness and happiness. Go hug Mickey Mouse...
Elle1007
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Canttakethis » 20 Feb 2018, 14:31

Thank you! Still feeling the same. I was able to move up my dr’s appt to 3/1 so we can discuss where to go from here. I really wish I had never done the Botox and exam under anesthesia. For anyone else out there considering doing this, please discuss this in detail with your dr (I did not) the potential consequences and make sure you aware there’s a chance you can end up worse instead of better. Hang in there for all! Hopefully better days ahead, someday!
Canttakethis
Salt Bather

Postby Marko » 21 Feb 2018, 07:49

I wish you best and fast healing from fissure to have normal living..
Marko
Salt Bather