BOTOX

What to expect as it wears off

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

BOTOX

Postby Jennyb » 04 Mar 2018, 06:25

Hello

I've had my fissure for almost 4 months and 9 weeks ago I had botox which has left me incontinent but unfortunately hasn't helped the fissure which my consultant now says is not going to heal without further intervention

He wants to wait 6 weeks before seeing me again to enable the botox to wear off and incontinence to be restored

Anyone know what I can expect as the botox wears off ?

Will the horrendous spasms I first experienced return ?

I'm already in a lot of pain can't bear he thought of the spasms returning

Anyone got experience of failed botox and the sensations experienced as it wears off ?

Many thanks
Jennyb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: BOTOX

Postby Lsfb1989 » 04 Mar 2018, 06:33

Heya,

As it wore off, I just was more aware of being able to fart - when I first had the botox I had about 0.2 seconds warning that I was going to fart :p

I had reduced sensation for about 3 months. The pain didnt instantly come back, more of a slow sensation.

I am also waiting to see CRS to discuss another round of botox. Hang on in there xx
Lsfb1989
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Jennyb » 04 Mar 2018, 06:38

Thank you

Consultant has said this week I'm not having more botox as I've had in his words "an adverse reaction "

Scared of LIS as I fear permanent incontinence having been rendered incontinent by the botox
Jennyb
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Mar 2018, 07:02

Hi I had Botox that didn’t heal my fissure but like you stopped the horrendous spasms. Unlike you I know it wasn’t going to fully heal my fissure as it was down to the muscle and nearly 2 inches long. I didn’t get any incontinence.
Botox can and does paralyse the sphincter LIS doesn’t work that way
Yes my spasms returned around the twelve week mark but certainly not as intense as in the beginning, I wasn’t screaming and rolling on the floor. It was painful I would say between a 5 on a good day and a 7 on a bad day. Try and get some decent pain relief in place in case they return...which they may not...I found gabapentin the most useful for my spasms bringing the level 11 rolling agony down to a 7 sometimes even a 5.
Are you in the U.K. as you could ask for a resting pressure test to see if your tone is above normal if it isn’t then LIS may not be helpful.
To help your fears about permanent incontinence, they NEVER cut the full length of the sphincter in the U.K. so it can and does still work. Botox stopped my spasms from day 1 the LIS didn’t and I even had the level 11 spasms two weeks after my LIS as I had a crohns flare. Also your sphincter is a muscle that can and does regain tone after LIS, mine already has after 16 months but that is because my resting pressure was very high so even after the op it was above normal.
I’m sure that LIS would help but also consider the advancement flap if your resting pressure is normal or if your surgeon is also worried about incontinence.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Reliefatlast? » 04 Mar 2018, 20:26

Jennyb wrote:Thank you

Consultant has said this week I'm not having more botox as I've had in his words "an adverse reaction "

Scared of LIS as I fear permanent incontinence having been rendered incontinent by the botox

Hi Jennyb I had incontinence both times I had botox. I had LIS just over 2 weeks ago and hadn't had any issues until yesterday. I think that was my fault though as I got a bit overconfident (normally I rush to the loo as soon as I feel the urge) and didn't go straight away. I've been fine since and I think I will continue to be. It feels totally different to botox in that respect. The surgeon did say he would be very conservative and I shouldn't have any issues.

I hope it work well for you if you go for it!
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby Jennyb » 04 Mar 2018, 21:41

That's reassuring thank you

Obviouly you had surgery in the end but did any healing take place with the botox ?

As the botox wore off did you experience a return of worse symptoms ?

Are you Uk based ?

Many thanks
Jennyb
Fibre Addict