Stool softeners don’t work as good

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Stool softeners don’t work as good

Postby IWantANewButt » 05 Mar 2018, 07:11

Hey just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I’ve been on stool softeners for a long time probably solidly for 1 and a half years because it’s the only way I can manage my AF. But recently I just feel like they aren’t working as effectively as they used to. I’m drinking so much water too because originally I thought it was that. I don’t really want to up the dosage either.

Anyone got any tips :thankyou:
IWantANewButt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Stool softeners don’t work as good

Postby Vishal » 06 Mar 2018, 20:21

Hey try using magnesium supplements. Diet also is key for soft stools. Try using more leafy greens in your diet as well as coconut oil and or olive oil. Coconut oil works in helping the stool slide out and also is very soothing when applied topically. Prune juice helps too though if you are not careful it makes things too soft and that can cause problems too.
Vishal
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Jms990 » 20 Jun 2018, 14:26

I’ve had a chronic fissure for over 10 years and have tried so many different combinations of foods and supplements and nothing seems to work for a long time. I needed to find the exact combination of things so I could have a good bowl movement every time. Anyone with a fissure knows just one hard stool can derail months of healing. Just recently I stopped with the added fiber, psyllium husk and every other suggestion found on this site and others and just focused on the following three things. For the last 2months I’ve done this same thing every single day with the best results. All I do is take a full dosage of Miralax in my coffee, 2 stool softeners (generic from Target) and several glasses of water right away and then more liquids during the day. I’ve never had such a long run of perfect bowel movements in the last 10 years. My colon rectal doctor said it’s safe to take Miralax and stool softeners for a long period of time with no harm. I was about to sign up for LIS surgery but I feel so good I’m going to continue with this regime until it no longer works.
Jms990

Topics: 1

Postby IWantANewButt » 04 Nov 2018, 08:29

Thanks for the advice I’ll try it :)
IWantANewButt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5