Chronicles of my AF and LIS

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Chronicles of my AF and LIS

Postby msimon » 05 Mar 2018, 23:21

Wow! I cannot believe you had to get a second LIS, and a year after your retear. All this time I thought you were well and had moved on. Glad you got to see your original CRS and that things went well. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and that you can finally fully heal! Keep us updated.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby mmklinemm » 06 Mar 2018, 19:16

Day 1 - I had a hard time sleeping last night. In the morning, I took a pain pill expecting to have my first post op BM. Nope. I have felt like I needed to go quite a few times today, but nothing. I don't know if it's because I ate so little yesterday or if it's fear of the pain. I took half a dose of miralax a little while ago. Hopefully that will get things moving soon.

I am hurting, but not extremely bad.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby mmklinemm » 07 Mar 2018, 07:20

Day 2 - I went! It was about an 8 on the pain scale and WAY bulkier than any of us ever want. There was some blood afterwards, but I expected that. I'm so thankful that first BM is over. I'll probably stick with the miralax for a little while to try to make things easier.

msimon - thanks for checking on me. I kind of have a love/hate thing with this site, and that's why I haven't posted much. I just can't believe I'm still dealing with a fissure after 4 years. For the last year, the pain has been bearable. It wasn't excruciating like it was before my first LIS. It was more annoying than painful. So I really struggled with whether or not I should even have the 2nd LIS. But knowing this is the same exact AF that never fully healed, I knew I had to have it or this damn thing would never heal.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 08 Mar 2018, 14:38

Day 3: Another painful BM, with some blood. I've felt ok the rest of the day. No spasms, no serious pain. I think the swelling might be starting to diminish. I'm so over this, though.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 10 Mar 2018, 10:38

Day 4: Very loose BM which hurt quite a bit. I had only taken 1 psyllium capsule x 3 the day before thinking the lower amount might make the BMs smaller and easier to pass. Nope. Looser hurt more. The rest of the day was better. I took it easy, then took a short trip to the store.

Day 5: Horrible. There was a LOT of fresh blood with my BM this morning. More than I have ever seen. Even when my fissure was new I only ever had a spot or two. This was bad. It was coming from inside, not my incision site. I've sent my CRS a message. My husband said she excised a flap of skin, he didn't know any details about it, though. I don't know if the blood came from that. Maybe a stitch popped or it was cauterized and broke open? I don't know, but I'm a bit freaked. I can feel a throbbing inside on the right. Not spasms. Just kind of painful. I haven't seen any more blood since. I'm so tired of this. My first LIS in '14 seemed to go so much smoother. I have to return to work on the 13th. Not sure how that's going to go.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 11 Mar 2018, 15:57

Day 6: What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was so bad and I was so scared and mentally beat down. All I ate was my morning smoothie, then soup and saltines for lunch and dinner. I was worried the salad I had the night before aggravated things causing the bleeding.

I had 3 very small loose BMs this morning. All were about a 3-4 on the pain scale. No blood. So different from yesterday! I realized I didn't use any Vaseline pre-BM yesterday, either. Since my surgery last week, I've been applying it as soon as I wake up, followed by a couple ibuprofen. Yesterday I had to go as soon as I woke up (not normal).

Today I've had my smootie, soup for lunch, and planning on roasted sweet potatoes with coconut oil for dinner. Those are usually safe for me. I hope tomorrow is a good day, too.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 12 Mar 2018, 21:33

Day 7: Another fairly good day. The only pain with my BM was right before I went. The actual movement was pain-free. Progress! I walked around the grocery store for about 45 minutes this morning. Took my time, but it felt so good to be out and about. I had no real pain for the rest of the day, just a few minor twinges here or there.

My CRS got my message re: all the blood and called me. She said she found a very large hypertrophied anal papilla. She removed and cauterized it and a large skin tag during my surgery. She said I was probably bleeding from one of those sites and is not worried. She did warn that I could see more blood when the cauterization scabs fall off.

I'm back to work tomorrow. Hopefully it goes well and each day is a little better than the last!
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 Mar 2018, 12:03

Hi mmklinemm, I read your diary this morning and just wanted to wish you speedy healing from here on out. It sounds enormously stressful to have that much blood after a BM, and I hope that you're less worried after hearing from your doctor. Take care!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby mmklinemm » 13 Mar 2018, 18:43

patience_and_healing wrote:Hi mmklinemm, I read your diary this morning and just wanted to wish you speedy healing from here on out. It sounds enormously stressful to have that much blood after a BM, and I hope that you're less worried after hearing from your doctor. Take care!

Thank you, P&H! Yes, I was very worried when I saw all that. I feel much better after talking to my CRS. She's awesome. We spent about 10 minutes just chatting yesterday. I've had 2 other CRSs in the course of all this and am so glad to have found her - Dr. Monica Hum, ATL Colorectal in Atlanta, GA, in case anyone needs a recommendation near Atlanta.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 13 Mar 2018, 18:49

Day 8: No pain! No pain! Only a tiny bit of discomfort before my BM. Work went great. I took everything very slowly and didn't overdo anything at all. I occasionally feel little twinges, but they've all been at the incision site.

The worst today is that I've developed a chest cold. I've been very careful when I've coughed not to strain or tighten anything down below. No pain or incontinence at all. I did have some uncontrollable gas after dinner. It was probably the black beans. :)
mmklinemm
VIP