Botox questions

Botox questions

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Botox questions

Postby Reliefatlast? » 25 Feb 2018, 13:56

Hi I had Botox twice last year in June and October. Although the fissure pain and the spasms did decrease both times they never went away completely. I didn't have any other tears from the procedure. I also found that although the fissure didn't heal the spasms were never as intense after it.

I found that both time I had incontinence for the first day or two after the procedure. I did have a general anaesthetic though which upset my stomach. Once my stomach settled down I didn't have full on incontinence apart from a couple of incidences when I had a stomach bug. I would have had urgency though and wouldn't have been able to hold on for long when I needed to go which I found stressful. I just had LIS a week ago and haven't had any issues at all which is great. My surgeon did tell me afterwards though that he was as conservative as he could be so didn't think I'd have any problems. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work now!!

Have you got Botox booked?
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopefull123 » 25 Feb 2018, 14:20

Hi reliefatlast, can you share some info about your surgery, anesthesia type, post op pain, painkillers, BMs after op, did you have bleeding during?
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Mypoorbutt » 25 Feb 2018, 15:27

I never experienced any incontinence at all. I would say passing wind was easier after Botox as I didn’t feel like I had to force it out, but certainly wouldn’t class that as incontinence.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Reliefatlast? » 25 Feb 2018, 19:12

Hopefull123 wrote:Hi reliefatlast, can you share some info about your surgery, anesthesia type, post op pain, painkillers, BMs after op, did you have bleeding during?

Sure - I had LIS on the 16th Feb and I had a GA. I had the op at 8.30am and I was ready to go by 3pm. When I woke up in the recovery room I was surprised that I had some pain as both times I had Botox I also had a GA but I had a local too so I had no pain at all for quite a few hours. The nurse asked me if I had any pain and when I said I did she injected painkiller into the cannula. I assume it was morphine as I felt very woozy afterwards but I didn't ask what it was so not 100%. When the surgeon came to see me he said that I had a few dissolvable stitches and all went well. He said that I would be sore for a week to two weeks and that he had been as conservative as he could so I shouldn't have any incontinence.
Back in my room i went to the toilet to pee & there was quite a lot of blood and what I think was the orange antiseptic stuff used during the op. I think there was some on the inside too as it seemed to come out for the rest of the day!
Surgeon gave me a prescription for tramadol and paracetamol. I didnt have bad pain at that stage but was very uncomfortable and could feel the exact position of the incision.
The pain after was different to botox. It was very localised to the incision where after botox the whole area was sore and very swollen and bled for longer - although the 2nd time I had botox i had banding too and that definitely caused some of the bleeding. With the LIS the bleeding stopped the same day. The painkillers worked well but the only position that I was really comfortable was lying on my left side which was the same side as the incision. I had my first BM the next morning and it wasn't too bad at all. There was some pain during and after for a while but it was manageable. No incontinence (which I had after botox both times). On day 4 the pain increased and I was kindworried about infection so I went to my GP who had a look (that hurt because the wound is totally on the inside) and felt it could be the start of an infection as it was red and swollen and prescribed antibiotics. There was also a small haematoma. That pain eased off in a couple of days and i stopped all painkillers on Friday. I'm still taking antibiotics and movicol though. So not a terrible experience and I hope the end of 14 months of pain and issues! Not totally convinced that this is the end of it but I'm hopeful!
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopefull123 » 25 Feb 2018, 19:17

Thanks for the info, I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted. Many people benefit from sharing experiences.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Reliefatlast? » 25 Feb 2018, 19:26

Hopefull123 wrote:Thanks for the info, I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted. Many people benefit from sharing experiences.

:thankyou: will do!
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby SusieUK » 12 Mar 2018, 12:38

Hopefull123 wrote:Susie, what kind of painkillers did they prescribe after the surgery. Did the skin tag wound heal fast. Any special care right after?

Hi, so sorry for not replying sooner but not got used to this forum yet! I was prescribed codeine which I refused as I know it makes me constipated so they gave me Ibuprofen & paracetamol. I never took the Ibuprofen just the paracetamol. I had 3 skin tags removed & I think that most of the pain post surgery came from those. Probably took about a week for the skin tags to heal & within 2 weeks I was just about back to normal. No special care but did use non scented moist toilet tissue wipes after rather than loo roll (still do). It's been 7 weeks now & I'm still not having any pain so hopefully it's healed! Still dreading the botox wearing off in case the fissure opens up again!
SusieUK
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby SusieUK » 12 Mar 2018, 13:08

Sadbum wrote:
SusieUK wrote:Hi I had botox 5 weeks ago along with a fissurectomy & skin tag removal

Do you feel like it’s helped??

Hi sorry for not replying sooner! Yes it's definitely helped ....... I had it done 7 weeks ago only had pain for the first couple of weeks ..... and even that wasn't as bad as i'd expected!
SusieUK
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 13 Mar 2018, 17:05

Susie UK I had mine fissure for 4.5 years on an off every few weeks they didn't clean up the fissure with a fissurectomy which concerns me I only had Botox which was 4 weeks ago an today I saw blood on the stool an my skin tag is huge an red I'm only having discomfort during a bm so it's better then before Botox but I'm not confident because they like I said didn't remove any scar plus still seeing blood an tag large an red any advice? Plus how long did you have your fissure before Botox? Thank you
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby SusieUK » 14 Mar 2018, 07:42

Hi missy, started with 3 fissures 20 years ago .......I'm absolutely certain it was pregnancy hormones and breast feeding that caused them! I remember sitting on the toilet for hours on end crying in pain when I should have been enjoying spending time with my son! Two of the fissures eventually healed & the other used to open up every few weeks & then heal again for a few weeks. Looking back on it now I think that was probably tied in with my periods. I did go 5 years with no problems although I had to be very careful with my diet & still took a movicol daily, then about 7 years ago it opened up again! Sometimes I could go 3 months pain free other times a couple of weeks. I had a sigmoidoscopy about 5 years ago to check that there was nothing 'sinister' going on all they found was a polyp which they left alone. My consultant at the time decided that surgery could cause even more scar tissue & that it was best to leave well alone! (was it or was it NHS cut backs?). Over the last couple of years it's gradually got more frequent & lasted longer 6-7 weeks at times, Diltiazem was useless I honestly think it made things worse! Then towards the end of last year I decided I'd had enough we'd been away on holiday twice & both times I'd spent most of my time in agony yet again, missed out on going to a wedding due to it & started to become a bit of a recluse! I was referred yet again & this time it was going to be done on the NHS but at a private hospital .....I think this made all the difference as I've had so many bad experiences with NHS hospitals! My consultant said that he was going in 'blind' as he hadn't been able to examine me as my sphincter was so tight! & do whatever needed doing ......... he cut all the scar tissue away, removed the polyp, removed the 3 skin tags & botoxed me !! He had told me that he would be leaving it as an open wound which scared the life out of me but it wasn't a problem. I had a follow up appointment last week I asked him about fibre etc as I still don't think I'm doing any bulky poo's & he said don't worry about it as bulk could cause it to tear again. I used to get a lot of pain & irritation with my skin tag & found medical grade manuka honey helped.
SusieUK
Fibre Addict