LIS Friday!!!!

Had conversation with CRS today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Friday!!!!

Postby mysorebutt » 18 Apr 2018, 10:59

So, my LIS is scheduled for this coming friday and I am terrified, to say the least. I was able to speak with my CRS by phone this morning to discuss some concerns that I had and I wanted to share this with the group to get your feedback. One of my biggest concerns with with my CRS lack of experience with LIS. She primarily does botox and had told me that she has only performed about 5 or 6 LIS procedures over the past few years. I asked her about this again today and she said that in her first 6 years of practice, she did "a lot" of LIS procedures, but once botox was approved, she started using that since it was less invasive with good results. She said that she doesn't recall having a patient fail to heal following LIS. I also asked her whether she uses the "open" or "closed" method, and she said that she uses the "open" method because this method is easier to accurately control the amount of muscle being cut compared to the closed method. As she described, the closed method is like making a blind cut whereas the open method you can visualize the muscle and see how much is being cut. She said that she will cut 50% of the muscle on one side. My last question was concerning an external hemorrhoid flare up that I am experiencing and whether it would interfere with the surgery. She said that the hemorrhoids will not have any effect on the surgery itself.

I felt a little more confidence following this phone call but wanted some feedback on your thoughts with what mY CRS has said in response to my concerns. Thanks.
mysorebutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: LIS Friday!!!!

Postby patience_and_healing » 18 Apr 2018, 11:48

It sounds like your doctor knows what she's doing. It's not surprising that she prefers the open technique. From what I infer, closed technique is only used by those doctors who do this surgery a lot, so they build up the skill to do a 'blind' cut. Closed LIS typically results in a smaller wound. Depending on the patient's situation, it's possible that they change which technique is used.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Hopefull123 » 18 Apr 2018, 12:20

I don't see why you should be concerned. If she had 100% success with her surgeries, then you should be fine. Just get excited that it will be over soon.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby PreggoAF » 18 Apr 2018, 13:46

I’m getting LIS next Friday!! Please keep us updated so we can compare notes on healing :-)
Chronic fissure: January 2018
Diltiazem since Feb 2018
Miralax and Magnesium
LIS, tag removal, hems banded: July 2018
PreggoAF
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby PreggoAF » 18 Apr 2018, 13:48

Also I have a rather large hemorrhoid as a remnant from my pregnancy. I was worried about the same thing you mention. So glad to hear that it won’t interfere!
Diltiazem since Feb 2018
Miralax and Magnesium
PreggoAF
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hopefull123 » 18 Apr 2018, 13:51

Good luck to both of you and don't forget to ask if they can do fissurectomy as well, that made a huge difference in fissure healing. It is extremely simple, just cleaning up the edges of the cut to promote new cells. It will take 1 minute. Also, please ask for written post operative care and expectation. There are many things that can freak you out, but if you know they are normal part of the healing, you will be calmer.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby mysorebutt » 18 Apr 2018, 14:12

Thank you all for the support and encouraging words. PreggoAF, I will be sure to update on how things are going to we can compare notes. Another thing that my CRS told me is that she is planning to also use some type of long-lasting numbing agent (can't recall what she called it though, but I assume its injected into the rectum) that she said would last 48 to 72 hours and would provide some relief after the procedure. She said this is not typically used with LIS, but she was going to use it with me. Hopefully this won't cause issues in recovery since have a BM while numb can be difficult without an sensation.
mysorebutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby PreggoAF » 18 Apr 2018, 14:59

Thanks Hopeful! I will be getting the fissurectomy as well as skin tag removal :)

And that numbing shot sounds amazing! I’ll ask my CRS about it
Diltiazem since Feb 2018
Miralax and Magnesium
PreggoAF
Proctosphincteranalogist