Surgery Today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery Today

Postby mysorebutt » 20 Apr 2018, 13:36

I went into surgery earlier this morning at 830 and was discharged at about 930. My rectum is still numb so I am not in pain yet, but I expect this to change soon. One thing that concerned me was that the surgeon found both a “posterior and right lateral acute anal fissures”. I have never felt any fissure pain in the right side and wonder if this could be the result of the surgery, stretching of the anal canal during the procedure or even the enema that I did prior to surgery. It seems like this type of fissure is not common and I was still out of it when I spoke to my CRS after the procedure so didn’t think to ask. Anyone have thoughts on this?
mysorebutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Surgery Today

Postby msimon » 20 Apr 2018, 21:27

Congratulations on going ahead with the surgery! I know how difficult that must have been for you. Fingers crossed that you are on your way to some great pain reduction. I, personally, would not worry too much about any 'acute' fissure a Doctor finds. Fissures are very common and many have them and not really know and they heal quickly and people move on. It's the chronic ones that are concerning and cause all sorts of pain and misery for people (they get deeper over time and riddled with scar tissue, making healing more difficult). By the sounds of it you have had a tough few weeks preceding your surgery and much of that could have caused them, or even your enema. As for the surgeon causing it, I doubt it as when we are under general anesthesia things go pretty relaxed and a Doctor would have to be pretty negligent to tear you then. As for the lack of pain, pain is a strange thing, it can be felt in an area different from where it originates (referred pain). It's possible that maybe some of what you attribute to pelvic pain is really from fissures. Just a thought, time will tell anyway. Take care and let us know how you are doing.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64