stool softeners and Itches

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

stool softeners and Itches

Postby Guest » 22 Apr 2008, 02:23

Hi Guys , 3 weeks after LIS i have been doing pretty well. I have been on MOM since then, my poop stays soft for the most of the part, except for the initial poop that has been hard once in a while.... and have been having itches for a week now.Is there anything i could do for this?

Re: stool softeners and Itches

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Apr 2008, 06:17

Try to keep the area dry to avoid the itch, but it would seem that everyone who gets the LIS has the itch a couple three weeks later! It can only be a healing itch, which is wonderful though it can drive you crazy! I used talcum powder which seemed to help some, others even used a blow-dryer to keep it dry after a bath.
Getting rid of that hard tipped poo is much more problematic. Try eating juicy, water-rich foods at breakfast like oranges, etc and see if that brings more water to the stool. It can't hurt to try!
Deleted User 5

Postby small_flower » 22 Apr 2008, 08:16

I find that taking fish oil really helps to lubricate anything your trying to pass. I have the same "hard tip"problem that you do and fish oil really seems to help.
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Guest » 22 Apr 2008, 08:43

I struggle with that too. I find lubing up before a bm helps. I use a little kY jelly and then add some A&D ointment to help protect the area.

Itchies, though maddening, is a usually a sign that you are healing!

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Apr 2008, 12:57

Yes, most people after surgery have some kind of itch during healing! I used medicated powder that has some menthol inside , I think it was Goldbond, or something like that. I would not recommend long term use if you are a girl since it contains talcum.
Happy healing !
PS: KIM - now I have to travel to GA with one of those humongous movie set fans !!!!! ; )
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby buttgirl » 22 Apr 2008, 13:02

The water rich foods for breakfast is a must.
I have also found that hard tipped poos happen if I eat too big a dinner too late causing it all not to come out in the morning. I recently began experimenting with bromelain again and it seems to help this problem if I take it with dinner.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 22 Apr 2008, 23:11

thanks a lot for the responses guys,u guys have been wonderful.
Buttgirl whats bromelain???? and is it helping with the initial poop staying soft.....? have u tried fish oils before and where can i get them?