1 week until surgery and counting...questions on recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

1 week until surgery and counting...questions on recovery

Postby Guest » 27 Mar 2007, 15:43

Just one week until surgery for my AF and I’m nervous about it but also looking forward to getting it done with! I have come up with so many questions in my head since I scheduled this surgery a few weeks ago, I figure I can turn to you all for some help. I'm nervous because it seems strange to go in there and cut muscle, but I know it will help me. I just have this weird fear about altering my body, like I am nervous about not being the same physically after the surgery. But, I know that the surgery should go really well and I will feel so much better after getting it done
On to my questions about post-surgery(I’m having an lateral sphincterotomy(sp?)):
-Any tips on things to help speed the recovery?
-What is the recovery process? I know I will have to do sitz baths afterwards, but how many a day? With epsom salt or without?
- What should I eat/not eat post-surgery? I assume a healthy diet filled with fiber, but can I eat fruit and nuts?
-How long does it take for the surgery incision to heal? How long do you bleed afterwards? (might be two separate questions)
-Tips for help with itching once the cut starts to heal? The itching I have experienced previously is miserable
-When can you get back to normal physical activity, like exercising and such?
Thank you SO much in advance for any answers and or tips!! I will keep you posted for sure as to how the surgery goes for me.
Thanks,
Suzy

Re: 1 week until surgery and counting...questions on recovery

Postby happyass » 27 Mar 2007, 17:42

well i haven't had the surgery so i can't tell you much about post-surgery preparations.
however, before your surgery, try to have a really healthy fiber filled diet with little if any meat to go. you will want to have very easy bowel movements post-surgery.
as soon as everyone chimes in, you will see that everyone heals on their own time table but from what it looks like, mostly all have had great recuperations and are still on the path to healing.
i'd probably not eat nuts before or immediately after the surgery.
good luck!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 27 Mar 2007, 20:32

Hi Suzy,
I haven't had the LIS procedure done but I have had rectal surgery 3 months ago (hemorrhoid) so I am familiar with healing in that area!
I can't recommend baths enough for healing. It speeds up healing and helps with pain and keeps the area clean. I have some cheapie paperback books next to the tub to give me something to do. Three 20 minutes soaks would be good. I don't use epsom salts all the time.
I use a little bit of A and D ointment and KY Jelly to help occlude the fissure and smooth things coming out to protect the wound.
I would not eat nuts or anything potentially rough that may not digest fully. It could scrape coming out. I had a problem eating Luna bars because they had these crunchy nuggets that didn't break down enough. I would recommend taking 2 teaspoons of flax seed oil or fish oil (they have flavor infused to help with the taste)-1 in the am and 1 in the pm to help make your bms kind of slippery.
I am sure some of our veterans will be stopping by soon to provide more specific info. If I can think of anything else I will pop back in-my brain only holds so much info at a time!
Take care,
Lecia

Postby Guest » 29 Mar 2007, 11:48

Just talked to the surgery coordinator at my dr's office and they told me that i shouldn't remove the bandages from surgery until 72 hours after surgery, or if I have to go to the bathroom before that. Crazy! That seems like such a long time! She said i need to do a bland diet (broth, jello) for a few days, and start metamucil 1 day after surgery. She also said not to start baths until 2 days after surgery....it seems like a long time to wait to 1)go to the bathroom and 2)bath the area after surgery. Anyone else who has had the surgery, did you have this experience???
Thanks!!!
Suzy

Postby fissure101 » 29 Mar 2007, 23:24

i replaced the bandage with sanitary napkin (borrowed from my wife :) and used that for a couple of days.
after that I kept tissue paper in that area for a few more days.
i started taking sitz bath the next day after surgery
fissure101
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Mar 2007, 06:51

I had the LIS last December. I'm at work now, but as soon as I get home I'll try to respond to each of your concerns.
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2007, 13:43

THanks so much! I had a pre-surgery appointment with my dr and he said, contrary to what the nurse said, that with this type of rectal surgery, i can remove the dressing and start baths the day after surgery. So, that was a relief to me, as I had read all the re-caps on this site and 72 hours seemed far to long of a time! So, i'm feeling much better about surgery and just ready for it to be over this time next week.
Still, any tips for recovery would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Suzy

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2007, 20:46

i havent had the surgery but wanted to say good luck, i share sum of ur concerns so i think its brave of u to do it,
xx

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Apr 2007, 10:22

My one big tip is not to take too many painkillers. They messed me up (constipated) and I also fell off my diet just after the surgery, which didn't help. Don't do that, either. The pain from the surgery will be more like an ache by the time you get home; at the hospital they will give you something for the initial pain.
Start pushing yourself physically more and more after about three days, but don't try to resume full physical activity for about 4-6 weeks. Just ratchet up the amount of exertion day by day.
Take or get vitamin C and zinc in your diet to speed healing.
They had me in a whirlpool the same day of the surgery. Hot baths are very crucial to your recovery so don't delay with that.
GOOD LUCK!!
Deleted User 5