Surgery scheduled

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery scheduled

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2007, 20:35

I went today to my appt finally! I found a surgeon who at least somewhat sypathetic to my pain. He did examine me and seemed a bit doubtful of the pain I was in. He said it shouldnt hurt so much unless its down to the muscle?? Is that true? But anyway he did agree that surgery would probably be the best way to go. The other thing is-he uses a spinal block-has anyone had that? It looks quite painful. I am very anxious about needles but will to go through it to get rid of this pain! Surgery is in three weeks.

Re: Surgery scheduled

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2007, 08:17

Hi Noelle,
I am glad to hear you found a surgeon who is at least a bit sympathetic though I can't for the life of me figure out why doctors are so quick to say you should or shouldn't be in so much pain. The fact is that you are!
When I last saw my CRS I asked about differences in amount of pain people experience with fissures. She said that she has seen some people with small superficial tears like a paper cut in extreme amount of pain and then she has seen people with a large gaping fissure that didn't even know that they had one. So there must be some real differences among us all in how much pain we experience and it is not necessarily related to just how big the fissure.
I haven't had a spinal but I have had an epidural for nerve pain which is a similar procedure. I think the thought of it is much worse than actually getting it. I don't remember much more than a poke because they will numb that area up. Some doctors will give you versed before they do it which doesn't knock you out but does put you in kind of a twilight state.
Is the amount of pain you are in now pretty constant or do you have good days and bad days? Do you have family near by that can help you?
It will be great to get on with the healing!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2007, 12:03

Yeah actually I do ok, when I don't have any movements. It's just I know I got something deeper insided, that he couldn't see. Just because intially when I went in, I didn't feel pain til she put a q-tip way in, then somehow everything near the end seemed to open up?? It was weird. My sister is going to take me there and pick me up, but that's about all I got..A good friend said she would be on standby for me. I am anxious to be completely well, thanks so much though for your answers.

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2007, 17:40

Just wanted to make sure you could tolerate the next few weeks while you are waiting for the surgery. I wonder if your fissure is higher up or closer to the outside? Maybe it is referred pain you have higher up when sometimes the nerve will trigger pain in an area from the wound to another part that isn't really affected and when she touched that part it made the muscle relax or do something to make the bottom part open up.
I never realized how painful a rectum could be! If only we didn't have to poop!
Hang in there,
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Apr 2007, 10:17

Hi, Noelle
I wouldn't sweat the spinal too much. Consider the good side; yu won't have GA which means you won't suffer any possible serious side effects!! That's what had me worried more than anything.
I believe the CRS when they say the deeper the fissure (into the muscle) the worse the pain. I'm sure many of us had superficial fissures before they got deeper (with time). Anal fissures don't always cause the pain we've all experienced (mainly just bleeding), so it only makes sense that as they get more developed they cause more problems and soon the spasms and painful BMs kick in.
Good luck in three weeks, I'll be thinking of you!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2007, 06:20

Thanks Lecia, I should be ok. I alone but I will have to manage I guess. Yeah I am not sure what I got going on, but hes gonna do a sigmoid when he get's in there to be on the safe side.