OTC help? Chronic fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

OTC help? Chronic fissure

Postby petrichor » 14 Jun 2018, 19:03

I've had a fissure for several years. It always "heals" (or at least becomes completely asymptomatic) after a few weeks because I'm very good with my fiber, water, Miralax, etc. I only ever had a doctor look at it once, and stubbornly never went back despite multiple recurrences over the past few years. I honestly don't know if it's the same fissure over and over again or if I'm just getting new ones, but my guess is it's the same one because although I can't see it, it feels like its in the same place.

After the last recurrence yesterday, I knew I had to suck it up and go to a doctor again. I scheduled with a CRS but it's not til August.

My two main questions are:

1) is there an OTC cream I can use? I emailed my PCP and she mentioned hydrocortisine cream but isn't that just for hemorrhoids/itchiness? I have no itching really. I'm interested in something that will speed up healing.

2) Since I stupidly never tried any prescription ointments in the past, and my fissure is now almost definitely classified as chronic, I'm worried that I've missed my window in which Nitro or Diltiazem would heal it. Am I doomed to surgery? Anyone have a chronic fissure healed with prescriptions alone?
Diltiazem
Metamucil capsules (easier than the gross orange drink!)
Miralax
Culturelle probiotics
Managing anxiety - therapy, Zoloft, Xanax for the really hard days
petrichor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: OTC help? Chronic fissure

Postby dmcff » 15 Jun 2018, 01:54

1) My physical therapist recommends aqueous cream - I can't say that it's helped me much, but it hasn't caused too much damage, either. It's probably best to be wary of hydrocortisone preparations, as they thin the skin with protracted use.

2) Nitro and DT can be used for chronic AF, as far as I know. But if no healing has occurred after 8 weeks, it's probably best to stop. Also, no one is 'doomed' to surgery. It's ultimately a matter of choice.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Re: OTC help? Chronic fissure

Postby petrichor » 19 Jun 2018, 18:26

Thanks! I messaged my PCP and she prescribed me diltiazem so I have something while I'm waiting to get in with the CRS. I'll start it today. I'm already no longer having symptoms other than the occasional mild pain during the day (when stressed), so.. *fingers crossed*
Diltiazem
Metamucil capsules (easier than the gross orange drink!)
Miralax
Culturelle probiotics
Managing anxiety - therapy, Zoloft, Xanax for the really hard days
petrichor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4