Starting Miralax a month or two before LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Starting Miralax a month or two before LIS?

Postby NikF » 17 Jun 2018, 21:48

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'd like to start off by thanking everyone on this forum. I've been suffering from a fissure for years, and while I've only recently found the forum, I can't tell you how helpful it's been to read everyone's advice and experiences.

I'm thinking about having LIS in 4 to 8 weeks, and am trying to decide whether or not to take Miralax ahead of time to see how it works for me.

I aggravated my fissure two months ago and started experiencing terrible pain and spams. The pain has eased up somewhat since then, but, given how many people it seems to have helped here both before the surgery and during recovery, I was thinking about trying Miralax to see if it could further bring down the level of my pain.

However, I'm worried about trying Miralax for the first time only 4 to 8 weeks before potentially having LIS. For years, I've generally had about one BM a day (regularly in the morning) and more BMs tend to significantly aggravate my fissure. I'm concerned that Miralax may lead to more BMs and potentially make things worse in the near future, especially right ahead of the potential LIS.

On the other hand, it sounds like Miralax has been a big help for many here, and it would be nice to try something that may further lower my pain. Also, it sounds like it may be helpful to take Miralax after LIS to help with the recovery, and there's part of me that would rather try Miralax ahead of time so that it's not an entirely new, anxiety-causing experience post-surgery.

Did anyone start taking Miralax not long before having LIS? Would you recommend trying it ahead of time?

Also, if I do try Miralax, I'd prefer to ease into it rather than to take a full cap or more from the get-go. If anyone has advice on how much Miralax it might be helpful to try taking initially, any info would be much appreciated.
NikF

Topics: 2

Re: Starting Miralax a month or two before LIS?

Postby mike1971 » 18 Jun 2018, 13:30

I've been using Restoralax which is the equivalent to Miralax here in Canada.

I've been taking one capful in a glass of water usually in the evenings every other day or so.

Lately my bowel movements have been every second day and they are large (width) and long.

Today ( day two ) I had one of the worst experiences passing a #2. I had the feeling of fullness and needing to go. It was ready but I had to strain some to get it moving (not a good idea but what do you do when you feel it's halfway there? ). I had not taken any Restoralax the night before, so I believe this contributed to the problem.

I'm afraid of becoming dependant on the Restoralax to help my bm. Apparently it is not good to use it on a regular basis. I need to adjust my diet so as bm's are softer, narrower, smoother, and more regular.

Maybe another member can make some suggestions on natural food and supplement products that help in this situation.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby NikF » 19 Jun 2018, 01:20

Thank for the advice! I'm sorry to hear you had such a tough experience with your bm the other day.
NikF

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 23 Jun 2018, 15:51

It's great stuff an people can live on it it's safe for long term use it draws water into your bowel so bms are softer it doesn't make me go more often still just once a day sometimes twice but soft I need to adjust my diet too I'd like to not take anything one day
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby mike1971 » 23 Jun 2018, 16:09

I believe you're right Missy Moo I noticed it hasn't made me run to the washroom right away the few times I've used it now has it made my bm's watery.

I'm still going every 2nd day and I have to strain and push. May need to up my Restoralax (Miralax ) dosage. Odd because I'm making an effort to include lots of fruits and veggies in my diet. No bread, lots of water.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 23 Jun 2018, 16:54

If you use it everyday it makes your bms soft but I don't want to have to take anything no natural I mean we should be fine with food an water but I'm thinking about taking magnesium it's natural an it's ment to help bms stress an muscles apparently most people are low in it and every cell in our body needs it.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Hopefull123 » 23 Jun 2018, 20:11

Hey Mike, I think I know why do you have pelvic pain, you said you have BM every other day and you have to strain. I think this is your problem, by straining, you are aggregating not only your hems but your sphincter muscles. I think your pain comes from your muscles spasming because of the intense straining. If you get regulatory under control, since you don't have fissure, tour muscles will calm down and stop spasming as well as your hems will shrink. I take psyllium husk and I don't even need to push at all, I feel my muscles pushing everything out on their own. Metamucil is in pills and you have to take tons to get the daily dose. I recommend bying fine psyllium powder and take one teaspoon shaken with a little water, then drink immediately because it will start expanding. Then drink another 6 oz of water ride away. But careful with too much fiber from foods though, because it may back you up. The psyllium powder does not cause me any bloating or gas, and I hardly eat any other fiber except leafy greens everyday.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby mike1971 » 23 Jun 2018, 20:56

I eat several small meals a day Hopefull.

I try to get ad much fiber and water as I can. Oats, dried prunes, prune juice, steamed veggies, avocados, apples, pears. I'll have some baked chicken fish or eggs for my protein. Try to stay away from beans and rice. Due to the stress I snack on 3 or 4 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter (hope this doesn't back me up).

I have Metamucil sugar free but with aspartame (the only one I could find at the time) and take it 9n occasion.

But my bm's are already bulky and firm. How do I soften them ?

a should I use more Miralax or Metamucil or both?

Yes I'm afraid I am straining and its scary when you get caught in that position. I never had this problem beforehand.

My gut has also become lazy did inactivity due to illness.

Help :(
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hopefull123 » 23 Jun 2018, 21:09

Psyllium husk makes them softer, but I would suggest to avoid but butter temporarily and avocado, because their type of fiber can make consistency sticky. Forget about metamucil and get just plain fine ground psyllium husk powder and take one teaspoon per day. If you eat too little though you may not be able to go everyday because the amount will be top little, so eat up, but add more chicken and fish and some low fiber veggies like cucumbers and radishes. Again, too much insoluble fiber can create top much bulk. Psyllium should correct the consistency and make it easy to pass. This type of fiber is different than those from fruits and veggies. I didn't believe my doctor but when he insisted of me trying it, I was amazed how easy it made me go. I wasn't taking anything else laxative. Even before or after my surgery I only took psyllium.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby missy moo » 24 Jun 2018, 20:53

Hey hopeful I take Metamucil sometimes do you think the plan husk powder is better? And Mike I wouldn't eat peanuts at all or peanut butter apparently peanuts aren't suppose to be eaten raw an I know people on this site say to avoid things like peanuts so I avoid them
missy moo
King Fissure