rectiv questions

AF bleeding

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: rectiv questions

Postby davminos » 15 Jul 2018, 09:43

Hmmmm....IBS could be a possibility, I eat bran cereal, apples, oranges every day. Thanks
davminos
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby davminos » 15 Jul 2018, 09:55

If this is the case, IBS, then how to have a high fiber diet and avoid things like bran cereal and fruits? If I could only have one or two BM's a day, I feel as if this fissure could properly heal.
davminos
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 15 Jul 2018, 11:27

Oats might be a good alternative to bran. Oranges shouldn't cause a problem because they are low in fodmaps. In general, IBS diarrhea reacts strongly to high fiber and you may find that lower fiber reduces the number of BMs because of reduced irritation. There's a good app made by Monash University that's for $7 or something, and you can go through a full list of foods along with their fodmap contents, plus allowability portions. You may find that even if the app has a red mark on a particular food, you can tolerate it just fine. It varies from person to person.

I don't eat a particularly high fiber diet though I don't have IBS. I eat healthy in general, and use miralax and ginger to keep things moving along. I'm hoping to switch to magnesium soon instead of miralax.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby davminos » 16 Jul 2018, 09:31

IBS could be a possibility, but I don't have any cramping or unusual amounts of gas. Perhaps the daily colace is the culprit in producing too many BM's? My primary care sent me an email suggesting taking it every other day. Of course, the dilemma is that I'm afraid to do so for fear of stools being too hard, etc., but then can't keep up so many BM's each day. I have always gone at three to four times a day, but recently it has been too much. Although, I've been working on eating less. Instead of the full 3/4 cup of bran cereal have gone to about 1/2 cup with low fat plain yogurt with one apple and less V-8 juice along with boiled egg in morning and one cup of tea. Plenty of fluids all day, try not to eat lunch, just water and maybe an orange. For supper, had boiled dandelion greens (covered with olive oil and lemon juice) with white anchovies, a small helping of black bean salad, half of pita bread and feta cheese. So far, today has been fine, only two bm's, so we'll see how rest of day goes. Two days no bleeding, but clock started again after eleven days blood and pain free. I remember reading that such set backs occur and people still heal after a while, is this true or is my memory making it up? I appreciate the responses, it has been very frustrating and fearful these past four months, thanks.
davminos
Salt Bather

question about fissure healing

Postby davminos » 18 Jul 2018, 07:21

I went eleven days with the Rectiv treatment, then had a difficult bm and it bled again; it was doing so well with no pain and no blood; now on day 15 and there has been no bleeding, so that should be a good sign, but some pain each morning for the past four days. Not sure if it is healing again or not. The colorectal surgeon said to take the Rectiv twice a day for four weeks and I'm nearly in the middle of that and had one bout of bleeding and now pain, not very bad but still pain on exit and sore for a time after. The doc said if it didn't heal in the four weeks that I'd do another three weeks before considering a Botox injection, which terrifies me as much as the thought of surgery. Has anyone had this experience?
davminos
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 18 Jul 2018, 11:44

I had Botox in May last year without sedation. It was very quick and really didn't hurt much at all, though I was very scared going into the procedure. I had some tenderness the next few days at the injection sites and then nothing. It's much less invasive than any surgery and it's a good option for many.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby davminos » 26 Jul 2018, 11:03

Just a quick update. I've been using Rectiv (prescription nitroglycerin ointment) since July 5, went about a week or so with no bleeding, some discomfort, then had blood with one bm 13 days ago; since then no bleeding and no pain until yesterday -- had slight pain, no bleeding, but the pain stopped quickly. After bm this AM was some minor pain, no bleeding, but discomfort lasted several hours. It is depressing, was thinking that I was out of the woods so to speak. Hoping the Rectiv will work, doing my best to keep bm's soft, will continue Rectiv for another couple weeks. Actually feel somewhat defeated right now. How long have people been on Rectiv? My dr said to stay on it for four weeks and if not healed then another three weeks. Anyone been on Rectiv or equivalent that long and has it worked? Thanks.
davminos
Salt Bather

Postby mike1971 » 26 Jul 2018, 12:40

dav may I ask what country are you in?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby davminos » 26 Jul 2018, 15:17

Sure, no problem, I'm in U.S.
davminos
Salt Bather

Postby mike1971 » 26 Jul 2018, 16:14

You eat like a Greek!

Wish I could help you with your situation.
Hoping you get well soon.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14