LIS Recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Recovery

Postby Sarah8818 » 26 Jul 2018, 02:54

I went yesterday for my check up. He said the puss is draining down but if I get any worse to go to a&E! No antibiotics given, he’s now gone away and not back until 15th August. I’m fed up
Sarah8818
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby missy moo » 26 Jul 2018, 05:23

I would go into a&E tomorrow you'll get a second opinion just say you where told to go in if you were concerned just say you are concerned
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby jack_attack29 » 26 Jul 2018, 20:48

My doctor gave me the same advice. He tried to clean it up in his office and told me to call if the pain or drainage got worse. I was back in his office three days later and had surgery three days after that. I am not sure what the next step would be for you since it’s the lis site and not the fissure. Maybe he would put you on antibiotics and surgery won’t be necessary. Crossing my fingers for you!!!
jack_attack29
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby JaiShriRam » 27 Jul 2018, 23:56

Hi, I am a 29 yr old male from India and new to this forum. My shit story started on night of 2nd June when I drank half a bottle of Jack's without sufficient water or food. This isn't something I havent done before. Next day I had Rock solid poop which definitely bled and gave a massive cut. To top it all off, I thought this is constipation and I took extra laxatives. This gave a serious bout of diarrhea, which gave me a new fissure. Before 2nd June, I had never ever known such a thing existed.

Lived with this pain for a month, tried everything on internet. Consulted a GP and he gave me creams and antibiotics. No help. Being from India, tried Ayurveda too. Created a Strom of fire blasting poop in my ass. Finally after 2 months I went to a well known CRS. He diagnosed severe anal spasm to the extent where my opening had reduced to 1 cm from the normal 3cm. To top it all off I had hemorrhoids, both external and internal including skin tags. I was on verge of anal stenosis, where the hole practically shuts up.

Went for a Laser Hemorrhoidoplasty + Sphincterotomy + Skin Tag removal on 24th July.

Today is 4th day of my surgery. I won't lie. It is nothing like my CRS had said. He had said 4th day you will be in office with no pain at all, only mild burning during pooping.

THERE IS PAIN whole day. Pain score is 6 on 10. ND DEFINITELY BURNING DURING POOPING. I am wearing Sanitary pads coz there is constant blood+stool leakage. Hardly any control on my farts, which also adds to more stool leakage. Due to the high fiber diet, I have to go for the burning poop 4 to 5 times a day. The muscle is so weak after the incision that by the time you realize that you need to go, it's already on its way out. SEVERE CRAMPS IF YOU TRY YO HOLD IT IN. And before you can open the bathroom door, 50% of it is already out !! I know it's gross, but for me it's living hell. I won't lie, I am a big guy and have taken some serious physical pain in life during accidents without a single cry. But this makes me have emotional outbursts looking myself in the mirror and asking myself 'what exactly did I do to deserve this' !!!!

I walk twice for 15 mins and perform the kegel exercises recommended by my CRS. In the hopes that I regain control of my sphincter and motions. I am doing everything possible to make a speedy recovery, right food, right amount of liquids, hygiene... But I don't think I will be back to my office anytime before next week ! Can't leave home until I have control on my pooping. I can still manage minor leakage, but since there is stool you definitely need to clean up and change the pads.

Anyone going for this Surgery, just take minimum 2 weeks off, with expectation of everything going right and no complications.

I hope I see the light at the end of this horrendous tunnel soon !
JaiShriRam
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 28 Jul 2018, 02:47

Jaishriram I would say stop any and all stool softeners or laxatives as this sounds like your going to the toilet to often you shouldn't need anything added to just your normal diet if you've never had pooping problems just go back to basics take some extra time off an have lots of warm baths to help with the healing i would also look into putting coconut oil on the whole area but no other creams or anything else just coconut oil it will help with healing an help soften any scars good luck mate I know it's hard I've had my fissure on an off for 5 years
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby JaiShriRam » 28 Jul 2018, 03:04

Thanks Missy. I really appreciate your time in reading through my long post. Doc gave me 4 doses of painkillers, they are Non Steroids (NSAID) . As a trial, I did not take my stool softener on night of Day 2 and ate salad, glass of juice and an oatmeal porridge. Just to see how things go. That was definitely an error. Day 3 morning BM was like thor's hammer going nuts on my hinnie !!!! More blood than all seasons of Spartacus... Today I am planning to skip the softer and just take natural psyllium husk in warm water. What do you think ??
JaiShriRam
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 28 Jul 2018, 03:47

Give it a go start off slow with that stuff I think half dose to start with an see how it goes I'm using it but I only use 1 teaspoon in a large glass of warm or cold water an drink straight away I find that it helps the stool come out nicely without pushing or discomfort it kind of jumps out smoothly haha just don't take any softners or laxatives they will make you stool liquid an go to often but if your stools are hard either try minimum stool softener like miralax its main ingredient is (macrogel) in my country it's called molaxole sachets or skip all softeners an eat 7 prunes twice a day is ment to help alot also try drink about 1.5 litres of water each day feel free to ask any advice or suggestions I'll try help or there's lots of beautiful other people on this site going through the same thing they are all very helpful an supportive. Try think positively an take it easy look after yourself
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby JaiShriRam » 28 Jul 2018, 10:38

In the 1st week of your LIS, did you have sudden and uncontrollable cramps/urgencies of BM through out the day ? Just want to know if I am the only one with this situation. I have such sudden cramps that even before I can reach washroom and undress, I am almost done and soiled everything. I know it's gross, but m living this 4/5 times a day ! It's so sudden that I am unable to foresee these urges or cramps. Did you have these in the first week ????
JaiShriRam
Salt Bather

Postby jack_attack29 » 28 Jul 2018, 17:31

I did not poop multiple times in a day until the 2nd week of my surgery and when I did, that was the first time I bled after surgery. It was discouraging to say the least. It then became a pattern. My first poop, no issues, but my second or third would cause blood. I took miralax after my surgery and it hep keep my morning BM at the right consistency to where it didn’t bother the fissure. As I began to feel better, I ate more, which caused the multiple BMs.

It took me a few weeks before I felt like the control of my sphincter was back to normal. When I had to go, I had to go!

I think the first sign of progress came about 6 days in, but it was a good 2 weeks before I felt like I was i the other side of it.

I think everyone heals differently and you will just have to have patience with the process. Easier said than done. I remember how inpatient I was.

I will have an update on Monday for my situation. I am crossing my fingers that the infection is gone!
jack_attack29
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Sarah8818 » 29 Jul 2018, 16:45

Well I ended up at the doctors the next day and put on Co amociclav for 10 days as I got worse over night. Doctor made me come and see her Friday morning too and again she said it had spread further so sent up hospital and put on metronidazole for 5 days as well. Well fml as I’ve now got constant diarrhoea, feel sick, pains in tummy and headaches, the fissure pain is shit because of the diarrhoea or Atleast I think it’s that or the infection has got worse! So fed up!

Jais... I was like that the first week so I stopped everything other than one satchet of laxative of an evening x
Sarah8818
Fibre Addict