10 yrs of Pain...Fresh Out of Surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

10 yrs of Pain...Fresh Out of Surgery

Postby FissureLegend » 09 Aug 2018, 13:54

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking on these forums for the past several years, and finally decided to contribute. I'm embarrassed to admit that my fissure pain has been with me for the better part of a decade. I've had the typical pattern of tear / heal / tear / heal for so many years that it just became the norm. Looking back now, how stubborn was I to let this control my life for so long?

Just a quick background; My fissure developed when I was 19yrs old after taking the drug Accutane (how I wish I could go back in time and stop myself). The fissure would pop up once or twice a year and then I'd be fine for months and it was as though nothing happened. However, these past 3 years have been hell and after trying every topical treatment/diet/fasting/home remedy on the planet, I finally agreed to LIS surgery. Those of you that have posted your stories truly helped me with my decision.

Anyway, my operation was earlier this morning. The doctor preformed a LIS, Fissurectomy, and removed a skin tag. I'm in a good amount of pain (5ish), and have the next 7 days off before I return to work. Starting yesterday I've only consumed bone broth, trying to avoid that first post-op BM :poop: . How was everyone's pain on the day of surgery, I really wasn't expecting this amount of discomfort?? Thanks again everyone!
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 10 yrs of Pain...Fresh Out of Surgery

Postby FissureLegend » 10 Aug 2018, 11:31

DAY 2 Post surgery

The pain did settle down last night after taking prescribed pain meds. I slept pretty well too, only waking to use the bathroom. I'm a little over 24hrs post surgery and this morning my pain is basically nonexistent; going to hold off on any more pain meds and risk constipation. I do have tightness, struggling to even pass gas. BUT overall, it doesn't feel like I had surgery yesterday. The big test is still my first BM. I've been on a liquid diet for the past 48hrs, and may have my first solid meal for dinner. I do still have a small amount of leakage from my wounds, but that's expected. Don't want to jinx myself, but so far so good!
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Postby FissureLegend » 11 Aug 2018, 16:19

Day 3 Post Surgery

About 55hrs post surgery and basically no pain. Just can't believe how uneventful my recovery has been. I know I still need to stay the course with stool softeners and fiber, but I feel great. I did have my first BM earlier today and it was nice. No pain, no spasms, very little straining and didn't notice a lot of blood either. Still some leakage from the LIS site, but nothing major. As for incontinence, I still have control over passing gas, so I think I'm all good there too. Not sure what else to say, other than I hate myself for waiting this long for surgery :roll:
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Postby FissureLegend » 13 Aug 2018, 10:59

Day 4-5

I feel good. Not 100% of course, but I'm able to run errands in the car, cook, take walks and sit on the couch with minimal discomfort. Most importantly, my BMs are only a 1-2 on the pain scale; not so much fissure pain but more irritation from the actual LIS site. The biggest relief is not having to strain on the toilet anymore. I still have blood in my stool, but after I took a look at the LIS wound, I'm shocked I'm not bleeding out more. How does this not get infected immediately after a BM?

Of those of you that have had LIS surgery, did you apply any topical RX or over the counter antibacterial medicine? Im just worried about infection even though my doc said it rare.
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Postby FissureLegend » 15 Aug 2018, 20:48

I know it's still very early, but unfortunately I took a step back the other day. A BM felt like a re-tear and I had pain that lingered for several hours. I'm also dealing with lot of leakage. Both from the LIS site and anus. I've started wearing pads, which I change 3-4X a day. VERY discouraging and I'm starting to get depressed. I keep telling myself it's only been a week post surgery, but having anal leakage is demoralizing.

Maybe I'm taking too many stool softeners (3X), but I feel as though the fiber bulks me up too much causing tears. UGH and lucky me I have to return to work.
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Postby clarissairene » 16 Aug 2018, 09:29

Thanks for posting about your LIS and recovery... I have mine in a month. Part of me cant wait because I have 10-12 hours of spasms and burning but then I keep thinking.... what if the LIS doesn't work :(

How are you feeling today? I to only have 7 days off work. Wondering if I should have took more off. You think you will be ready to go back to work?
clarissairene
Fibre Addict

Postby mike1971 » 16 Aug 2018, 09:44

Claris I feel for you. How on earth do you manage 10-12 hours of spasms and burning and still manage to go to work?

Does this solely happen after bowel movement?

Are you taking any pain meds?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby FissureLegend » 16 Aug 2018, 10:50

clariss - I too was experiencing pain/spasms that lasted most of the day. I can assure you that my spasm pain disappeared after LIS. The pain I’ve had since surgery is different, more mild burning and aching (the first 3 days post-OP were actually pain free).

I spoke with a surgical assistant today over the phone. She assured my the leakage is normal, possibly up to 6 weeks. This is the scariest part for me because some posts on this site have reported no leakage at all.

As for work, I think 7 days off is fine; depending on how much physical labor is required. My CRS said I only need 4, which I think is too short. I feel much better today though, increased my fiber intake yesterday (15g soluble fiber + extra with food + 2 stool softeners). Had a blood free poop this morning with mild burning that went away after a sitz bath.

Hang in there, I know my two weeks waiting for surgery felt like 2 months.
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Postby clarissairene » 17 Aug 2018, 09:27

mike1971 wrote:Claris I feel for you. How on earth do you manage 10-12 hours of spasms and burning and still manage to go to work?

Does this solely happen after bowel movement?

Are you taking any pain meds?

Hey Mike!
I take Motrin 800 mg about twice a day. when I am desperate I take a 50mg tramadol but try to keep that at a minimum and when I am not at work. It really doesn't help just takes the edge off. So I have a bm like clockwork at 930 am.... burns but I can handle it. I go to my office and about 1 hour later BAM.... delayed spsams omg I die. I have a heating pad at work and I just do what I have to do. by about 6pm the spasm wear off and I just feel a burn. My hubby gets the kids and makes dinner. I skip dinner and jump in the bath for about an hour. Oh and I have a travel bidet at work to ease the spasms sometimes. BEST $10 ive ever spent. I cant take it anymore. My first CRS wanted to do an advance flap. I don't want that. 2nd opinion guy was like stop it. its been 2 years. Lets do the LIS and so I am doing it. But man I'm so nervous it wont work.
clarissairene
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 7275 » 23 Aug 2018, 20:46

I’m 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I have burning and full pain thru the day and 3 or 4 sharp spasms at night. Weird. Seeing doc tomorrow am for 2 week check☝️. I read here someone had post spasms and started taking low valeum that helped heal in 2 weeks.
Deleted User 7275