One week post op LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One week post op LIS

Postby Deleted User 7275 » 20 Aug 2018, 11:28

Hello thanks for all the information to all you healing post writers!
Short bio, felt a tear during bm in February not much pain no blood. Have felt with it before, even had blood before but everyone says “hems”. I’ve had hems since 25 yrs old now 44. After the split I started getting hems more and more. I have a high intensity job and a family with a newborn. Major stress unlike no other. ( alcohol, bad sleep, long hours, no sleep, bad eating habits, no sleep...) I tried to lose weight to lighten the load which is what I have always done in the past. Stop drinking, stop eating crap and cut the quantity down. No avail. After work slowed I took my kid to a birthday party and had the most intense burn at the tail bone site. The ride was an hour long, never felt this pain before.
Long story short and 25 lbs lighter, 1 doctor said hemorhoids( didn’t even look) suppositories made worse. Next doc said colonoscopy, got the colonoscopy and gastric said “internal hems, I zapped them and oh, btw you got a fissure, bye”
I didn’t even know what a fissure was, never heard of them, had them here and there but went away I thought. Got a little better after colonoscopy then got worse. Fast fwrd 2 months go see a crs and he rips the thing open and first time blood for 8 days. Mad now, and try to use the ointment called R6. Pain is up and down, now the “spasms” I’ve been reading about are coming in strobes and I now live in the tub. Next crs says I have a fissure barely looks, nice and gentle and says” you’ve lost weight, tried the creams and it seems you’ve had this for 5-6 months , next move is people get the LIS” I asked about the incontinence he said 93% and that he has done 1000 and never heard of it. I told him to give me a month I got this. Called in a week later had the LIS 2 weeks later. I’m in pain at 10 days now because I got constipated from coffee, benefiber or meds or all 3. Drank mineral oil and feel 50% better. O more internal sphincter spasms, those were the worst. I’m on the mend but my biggest question for all you experienced pros is how do I up my calories? I eat basically oatmeal, ghee, peanut butter, whole w pasta, brown rice, kale, salad, EVOO, apple juice, apples, peaches, prunes and barely get 2000 ca. I need 2500+. If I go there my stools get large. Btw I am starting miralax tonite and maybe a ducosat. 44yr m 190lbs 6’3. Thanks again. Ps check out Bambi posts she has some real informative ones.
Deleted User 7275

Re: One week post op LIS

Postby chachacha » 20 Aug 2018, 12:43

Ice cream, chocolate, french fries, candy, and anything else that tastes great!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby TomatoSoup » 21 Aug 2018, 01:02

Hey WalkingWednesday,

I saw your question to me about diet on another thread. I'm making a point to include my diet in my recovery diary. I'm living off of steel cut oatmeal and chicken sausages. Occasionally getting hungry and smashing some saltines or goldfish. I throw in a little chocolate for sanity.

I'm also feeling a bit underfed but I'm cool with it for the time being. I'm trying to view these recovery weeks as "you go through that sometimes" and am just focusing on other things. But damn, I will appreciate food on a new level when I'm back to 100%. Folks don't realize how carefree they are when it comes to food. Now that I'm restricted to oatmeal and water I notice that everywhere I go someone is offering me a burger, pizza, beer, taco, etc.

Stay strong. Maybe give my water therapy approach a try. If it works for you you'll find that you can pass huge stools but they are so easy to pass that it's great. Once you get your BM's super smooth you could reintroduce foods to your diet. I'm just being overly cautious, as we all are who got the surgery, and am listening to my body's signals to stick with safe foods for another week at least.

I've got a full wedding weekend coming up in 10 days so I'm hoping to be closer to my regular diet by then since it'll be nothing but party food and drinks for 3 days. That said, when I went to the CRS I thought he might say anal cancer so I keep reminding myself how grateful I am to just have this fissure recovery and will happily eat bland foods for a month if I need to.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Deleted User 7275 » 21 Aug 2018, 13:16

I hear you. I’m all bland foods now when I used to eat everything in sight. Lost 25lbs much needed but would like 5 back. It’s a life changer for sure but I. Elieve it’s for the good. Relaxing more and not stressing as much is what I’m into. Thanks for the reply and I hope you a greater future!
Deleted User 7275

Postby mike1971 » 21 Aug 2018, 13:40

How r u feeling today WW?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Deleted User 7275 » 23 Aug 2018, 22:21

I have had continual pain after a couple bad bms. I’m going on tomorrow for my 2 week check up. Possible infection I think, tender and continual pain also red. May be nothing but will see tomorrow. Thanks for asking how are you feeling , mike?
Deleted User 7275