I can't take the pain!

3 plus years of dealing with chronic fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I can't take the pain!

Postby Rubyblues » 04 Nov 2018, 12:13

I want to start by saying how grateful I am to have found this forum. People who have never dealt with this pain just don't understand how bad it can get. About three years ago I developed what I thought was a hemorrhoid. I did all the normal treatment, creams, sitz baths, fiber etc. The lump, bleeding, and pain never really went away but I just dealt with it because I did not have insurance. About a year ago, I started having episodes in the middle of the night of agonizing pain that would last for hours! Nothing would help and I would just have to ride it out. I could barely sit or stand and was suffering so badly. One morning after a particularly painful BM I had massive amounts of bleeding. It would be running down my legs.i went to urgent Care where they wanted to do an internal exam that I could not tolerate. I was immediately referred to a colectoral surgeon. Within a week I was in the hospital, sedated so they could look to see what's going on. The surgeon said I had a chronic fissure that appeared to be healing with extreme tension in my sphincter. He gave me Botox and removed the sentinel pile. I spent the next week in the worst pain imaginable. The spasms would last 8 to 10 hours. Finally that subsided and I had a few months where I did not have pain. As soon as the Botox wore off, the fissure tore open and for the last six months I have been battling to get it to heal. About a week ago, I had another massive bleed and now have the spasms, burning, stabbing pain in a different spot than before. I am so frustrated and depressed to be right back where I was. My insurance sucks and the Botox surgery cost me $4000 and I just can't afford to go back in. Do you have any suggestions to help deal with the pain? Thank you for any support and suggestions you may have.
Suffering in Vancouver Washington :cry:
Rubyblues
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: I can't take the pain!

Postby dmcff » 05 Nov 2018, 04:03

Sorry you are suffering. It's indeed true that people who haven't experienced the pain of AF don't understand how bad it can be. I don't know of any quick fix, but like others here have found some medication that helps. The anticonvulsants gabapentin (neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica) can be effective - I don't have experience of the former, but have been on pregabalin for several years now, and find that over time it keeps the pain at bay, especially at night, without many side effects. I certainly find it preferable to opioids like Tramadol and NSAIDs like ibuprofen, which often seem to cause more problems than they solve.

Maybe you could discuss pain medication with your GP?
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Postby Rubyblues » 05 Nov 2018, 21:17

Thank you. I am hoping to make it until the first of the year to address possible LIS. I will ask about those meds as I have not been offered anything like that before. Some days the pain is so unbearable that I want to scream at the top of my lungs! I still have to work my 40 hours a week and I am sure my coworkes are sick of hearing my sharp intakes of breath from the stabbing sensation and my groans of pain when the spasms hit! Thank goodness my BM are usually at home so I can cry my way through it :(
Rubyblues
Fibre Addict

Postby dmcff » 06 Nov 2018, 03:21

Hope you can get some effective treatment, including LIS. Let us know how you get on.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby hurtinend » 06 Nov 2018, 19:16

I'm from Vancouver...Canada

when I first got my fissure, I wanted to die, the pain was unbearable....nobody understands but us.

cold packs, the ones at the drug store that go in the freezer. Wrap it in a light towel and stick it in your butt crack. Keep it there for half an hour, repeat later if necessary, it helps big time. Trust me and try.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Postby bottice » 19 Nov 2018, 06:51

let me ask you, how much water do you drink each day?
bottice
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Rubyblues » 19 Nov 2018, 20:56

Water is all I drink, so I would guess it is a lot.
Rubyblues
Fibre Addict

Postby bottice » 21 Nov 2018, 18:04

hmm OK thats weird. Usually when I had my BM I would drink some water afterwards and the pain would go away eventually.

You said you feel a stabbing pain. I think I got that too and I found out its from a skin tag.
Do you know if you have a skin tag?
bottice
Fibre Addict

Postby Rubyblues » 21 Nov 2018, 18:59

Yes on the skin tag. They removed it when I had Botox last year but it came back.
Rubyblues
Fibre Addict

Postby bottice » 21 Nov 2018, 22:28

oh wow it came back? thats terrible.

I dont know if this is enough but I went online to search for something for the pain and someone said to buy a cream with Lidocaine in it. I personally used Recticare and it does help minimize the pain on my skin tag.
bottice
Fibre Addict