Lis recovery/ what to expect

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Lis recovery/ what to expect

Postby Jase1 » 14 Nov 2018, 06:20

Hi everyone, good to see the forum running smoothly. Just a quick question, I had my lis surgery back in August, and in September i had my final check up / signed off as everything felt good. However Now after a bm i get pain, similar to my old fissure but more like a burn/stinging pain and it does go on most of the day without painkillers. My question is, is it the fissure or is it part of the healing process ? My surgeon did say after my last appointment that if any pain returns go back to see him. I’m hoping it’s the healing but I’m more thinking it’s the fissure again. Either way I will not let it beat me
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Lis recovery/ what to expect

Postby TomatoSoup » 14 Nov 2018, 15:06

Sounds like your best bet is to have the doctor take a look.

I had LIS 8/16 so I'm 3 months post op. I haven't had pain but still have inexplicable spotting of blood on stool about once or twice a week. Very unnerving. I also had a follow up at 2-3 weeks post op and the doctor said the fissure was gone. Then around week 4 I think I had a small retear and he gave nifedipine but I've never noticed a benefit from the creams. Unfortunately I moved cross country at week 5 so I'm just kinda waiting it out and hoping it spontaneously stops bleeding. Every time I think I'm good after a few days of nothing, I'll look back and see a little red.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Jase1 » 14 Nov 2018, 15:15

TomatoSoup wrote:Sounds like your best bet is to have the doctor take a look.

I had LIS 8/16 so I'm 3 months post op. I haven't had pain but still have inexplicable spotting of blood on stool about once or twice a week. Very unnerving. I also had a follow up at 2-3 weeks post op and the doctor said the fissure was gone. Then around week 4 I think I had a small retear and he gave nifedipine but I've never noticed a benefit from the creams. Unfortunately I moved cross country at week 5 so I'm just kinda waiting it out and hoping it spontaneously stops bleeding. Every time I
think I'm good after a few days of nothing, I'll look back and see a little red.

Sorry to hear that, I truly hope you get sorted as I know how bad it can get ..It’s literally a pain in the ass from start to finish. I’m at the point if it has come back, what can they do if the lis didn’t work. The other bad thing is my dr has stopped giving me painkillers (tramadol) as I’ve been signed off from the surgeon. It’s the only painkiller that works so I’m stuck now ?
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Postby hopeful87 » 15 Nov 2018, 20:47

i just had my surgery 2 days ago , didnt expect pain to be that severe , doctor prescribed usual NSAI that doesnt help with pain..i literally cried after every bm from the pain .
fissure diagnosed : 2013
LIS :13 Nov 2018
hopeful87
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Jase1 » 15 Nov 2018, 23:24

hopeful87 wrote:i just had my surgery 2 days ago , didnt expect pain to be that severe , doctor prescribed usual NSAI that doesnt help with pain..i literally cried after every bm from the pain .

I won’t lie, it hurts. however it does get better. Take stool softeners they do help
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Postby hopeful87 » 16 Nov 2018, 06:35

Jase1 wrote:
hopeful87 wrote:i just had my surgery 2 days ago , didnt expect pain to be that severe , doctor prescribed usual NSAI that doesnt help with pain..i literally cried after every bm from the pain .

I won’t lie, it hurts. however it does get better. Take stool softeners they do help

thank you! i will .
is it normal to have involuntary contractions every now and then ?
hopeful87
Salt Bather

Postby Jase1 » 16 Nov 2018, 06:42

hopeful87 wrote:
Jase1 wrote:

thank you! i will .
is it normal to have involuntary contractions every now and then ?

I did get what I can only describe as a pulsating feeling which has now stopped. I think a few on here had similar.
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Postby Naina » 18 Nov 2018, 07:31

How much more time after lis do you get a little relief?
Naina
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby hopeful87 » 18 Nov 2018, 08:38

the opening feels tight and small ,just like before the surgery ..does it take time to loosen and relax ?
before the surgery pushing would only hurt the fissure,now pushing hurts the fissure and the surgery site, im almost fainting from pain when im pushing the stool.
hopeful87
Salt Bather

Postby Jase1 » 18 Nov 2018, 09:57

Naina wrote:How much more time after lis do you get a little relief?

From what I’ve read about others it varies from a week to several weeks / months. Me personally the first few days were horrendous but it does get better. My mistake was not to use stool softeners. They are brilliant for the obvious reason and helps a lot ( me personally). I also had painkillers (tramadol) which helped also. It’s a long process and still ongoing for me.
Jase1
Fibre Addict