Safe stool softener?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Safe stool softener?

Postby Deleted User 7528 » 10 Dec 2018, 06:15

Hello I’ve recently been having some problems down there and have been taking 100mg docusate sodium (dulcoease) every night for about a week now. I just read you shouldn’t take it longer than 7 days. Is there something safe I can take to soften stools for a couple months while I heal from what I think is a fissure?

Thank you
Deleted User 7528

Re: Safe stool softener?

Postby Abu » 10 Dec 2018, 11:06

Buffered Vitamin C or Magnesium citrate.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby missy moo » 25 Dec 2018, 13:51

Abu what type of magnesium I've started taking magnesium oxide and magnesium sulfate it's a formula created to soften stools it's in pill form I'm only taking a low dose but it's working great perfect stools and the same everyday
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Abu » 25 Dec 2018, 23:32

If it works, stick to it. Can you share the product name?
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 26 Dec 2018, 04:38

Sure it's called mg lax I think it's a nz product the website is www.goodhealth.co.nz do you think it's ok for long term use? It's not citrate?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Abu » 28 Dec 2018, 00:29

The are no differences between all those Mg supplements related to how long you can use them - no actual studies were conducted to the best of my knowledge. The only difference between them is how they affect what we are interested in - meaning, stool consistency.
So, if you found something that works - good for you. Do not change it because you may think other forms of Magnesium can be used longer term. indeed, some of them are better absorbed by the body as opposed to other forms - but in the end, we do not take Mg because we lack this mineral but because it promotes softer BMs.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 28 Dec 2018, 01:50

Thanks abu I would also like it to help with sleep and anxiety could I also add some citrate for these things or can the oxide help with these too? I haven't noticed less anxiety but seem to be sleeping a bit better so that's good
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Abu » 28 Dec 2018, 02:03

Don't add another magnesium supplement on top of it as you will intake too much. Anxiety should not be treated with substances, unless it is a desease and a doctor recommends it.
Mg oxide is much less absorbable than citrate or other types so it doesn't really help with sleep. You should try some relaxation techniques instead. Do not look at supplements or medicines as the cure for all - trust your body more, listen to it, help it by eating healthy, exercising regularily, staying active, learning ways to cope with stress and anxiety, enjoying life and being close to your loved ones.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 28 Dec 2018, 02:10

Great words exactly what I needed to hear I've been thinking about all these things lately so you've just backed that all up for me the only thing is is that I feel like I don't know much about the oxide like is it even safe no one on here talks about it everyone talks about citrate but I can't by it in store here in NZ and I don't like buying stuff online.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 03 Jan 2019, 13:42

Well today has started out a sh*t day hard and painful with the most blood I've ever seen I'm so depressed right now looks like the oxide isn't that great after all my stool yesterday was getting a little bit harder but today was just terrible I don't know if I should up the oxide or switch to the citrate I brought some online it's not natural calm but it is plain citrate? What do you think Abu?
missy moo
King Fissure