Is Magnesium citrate safe for long-term use?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Is Magnesium citrate safe for long-term use?

Postby John667 » 04 Jan 2019, 15:12

Abu wrote:Because of the AF, it is a vicious circle. This is why LIS was invented, to break the circle - relax the muscle so the AF can heal. The AF itself causes the spasms and the muscle tightens. This is controlled by the autonomous nervous system - to the best of my knowledge, only a handful of people on Earth are able to control that, and only on specific circumstances (see the Iceman for example).
Botox also helps because it freezes the muscle and it cannot contract anymore. Maybe you can try this, I have no experience with it whatsoever.
GTN ointments were also designed for this, and also Nifedipine. These are calcium blockers which should assist with muscle relaxation, however, I am sure you tried them with not much success.

For me, keeping the stools soft for many months in a row helps with getting in a suitable position to start manual dilation. But we are all so different.

Thanks for the info. Is this a case of the body trying to protect itself from pain and then each time it feels a BM coming the muscle tightens to avoid the pain? Yep I tried Nifedipine and it doesn't work that well (but it helps). Anything else besides LIS that could help when ultra-tight muscle prevent even putting a finger there?

As for LIS, not sure I could deal with a 8-10% chance of fecal incontinence...
John667
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby missy moo » 04 Jan 2019, 15:41

John667 yes I believe it's the anxiety and anticipation of pain makes us tense without us trying to tense up our brains have made a connection between bms and pain also I'd the BM starts out fine then we get a bit of pain the muscle shuts off I've experienced this alot and it's hard to relax that muscle which is trying to protect itseft from pain and more damage, I've had Botox and believe me it's made my life so much better I can think clearly now and live without constantly thinking about this issue before Botox my life was hell now it's not so bad but like most Botox patience we live with setbacks because it's not as successful at loosening the muscle as lis and Botox isn't permanent but it helps alot. As for lis I'm not worried about pooping my pants because that is supper rare 4 of the surgeons ive spoken to over the last 5 years have not mentioned it at all but all have mentioned a potential for gas incontinence but most of the people I've read on here that have had gas incontinence have recovered from that within the first year after lis because it takes a year after lis for the muscle to gain back quite a bit of its tone and strength it takes a year for the muscle to recover the lis and in that time the fissure heals and strengthens as it also takes a year for a fissure to heal an gain strength in the healed tissue. I wouldn't worry about loss of stool after lis if I was you unless you have another conditions which ups your chances but there are a few people on this website who have IBS diarrhoea and need the bathroom 10-20 times a day and need it in a hurry they have had lis and haven't got incontinence issues from their lis.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby missy moo » 04 Jan 2019, 15:44

Also John I'm a female who has had babies and wants to have more and woman who have had it want to have babies are at much more risk of incontinence plus men's sphincters are longer an thicker then females so therefore more stronger and resilient read some success stories on here about lis or go for Botox there's next to no risks with that an it can only help or do nothing may aswel give it a go that was my thoughts and it's helped
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby John667 » 04 Jan 2019, 15:50

Thanks missy moo, it sure helped. I guess I could live with gas incontinence, but I work in a store with customers, so it's not something that would be cool... I guess I need to think about botox as well. Any reayson you chose botox over LIS?

I've read a bit about Wim Hof and how he is supposedly able to control his autonomous system. That would be a way. I wonder what people did with this problem a century or two ago.
John667
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 04 Jan 2019, 17:07

The surgeon wanted to try Botox before lis because I'm a female who's given birth plus I want to have more children so Botox is the best option for me at the moment I've had one round and will have another round this year I'm hoping to have another baby soon then if I still have the fissure after that I'll get lis also lis is the gold standard it has been around since atleast 1975 not sure of exact date
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby John667 » 04 Jan 2019, 17:21

missy moo wrote:The surgeon wanted to try Botox before lis because I'm a female who's given birth plus I want to have more children so Botox is the best option for me at the moment I've had one round and will have another round this year I'm hoping to have another baby soon then if I still have the fissure after that I'll get lis also lis is the gold standard it has been around since atleast 1975 not sure of exact date

You can't have more babies with LIS?
John667
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 04 Jan 2019, 18:18

During childbirth theres a risk of damage to the anal muscle so that could weaken the muscle plus childbirth and pregnancy weakens the pelvic floor muscles if you get lis (weaken the muscle) then give birth an just so happen to damage the anal muscle in the process from say a big baby or complications or what even that will weaken the muscle further which could end up in simeone having to wear adult diapers for the rest of there life it's better for a woman to have all her children then see how the muscle is then get lis it's just more complicated for women whom want to have children I've had two and my muscle is NOT weakened some days when it's really playing up it's so painful and tight I can't get cream in there like you mentioned before. But since having Botox I've only gotten that bad once! Which unfortunately happens to be the last few days but I've done tons of research Botox is a good option but fissure reoccurrence after Botox is much higher then after lis. I guess we have to get to a point were we decide if we'd rather take a chance at maybe not being able to control our gas and avoid eatting foods that make people gassy or stay on the fissure rollercoaster I came to terms with this about 4 years in I guess I'm stubborn and didn't want to admit I need the most major fix surgery. But there's always hope in Botox some people heal completely with it. I recommed it and I'm having more so that says something.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby John667 » 04 Jan 2019, 18:58

OK thanks I understand. Any chance Botox can cure it once for all or do you need to take it again and again and again?
John667
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 04 Jan 2019, 21:22

I've heard of people having it 5 times but my surgeon told me alot of people get same what better from the first shot but most get fixed from the second so who knows but it's worth a shot :%_+:
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby John667 » 04 Jan 2019, 21:39

missy moo wrote:I've heard of people having it 5 times but my surgeon told me alot of people get same what better from the first shot but most get fixed from the second so who knows but it's worth a shot :%_+:

How does it work exactly? I mean: how can it make it permanent? When Botox effect decreases, wouldn't muscle tightness come back with a vengence? Anyway, that's certainly an idea to try and I will ask my doc about this. Thanks.
John667
Salt Bather