Is Magnesium citrate safe for long-term use?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Is Magnesium citrate safe for long-term use?

Postby missy moo » 12 Jan 2019, 13:44

Abu just woke up had a painful hard tipped BM which is odd because yesterday morning my body have a good clear out so this wasn't left over from yesterday? So sick of this anxiety every morning not knowing how hard or soft my BM is going to be how painful or painfree it will be what a life! Anyway had my 5year f this fissure moan, so my magnesium citrate says pure magnesium powder and to take with atleast 8 ounces of water WITH a meal?? Once a day
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Okaybum » 12 Jan 2019, 15:43

Hey Missy, can you give me a rundown on the stool softeners you took a fall the food you are and when yesterday? Also, how much water you drank roughly interns of litres
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby missy moo » 12 Jan 2019, 16:24

Hey okaybum
So yesterday morning at about 10am I have french toast as a treat with my partner I'm pointing the finger that this breakfast because first in first out : ( silly but its only french toast which I never eat like never ever maybe once every few years anyway lunch was a salad at about 1.30 which had tomatoes lettuce corn some small bits of chicken and kidney beans with aioli sauce. Then dinner was a big salad with tomatos capsicun red onion lettuce avocado a sausage and a small lamb chop and a few small boiled new potatoes we had a big bbq dinner with visiting family I had 2 glasses of wine with dinner and over the day I drank 2-2.5 ltrs of water and every night I take to magnesium oxide pills for a softening effect which was working but now isn't also I had hard tips for the past 4 days but not as bad as this morning Ive also just a few days ago started the second phase of my cycle which is progesterone dominant which for alot of women causes constipation I'm on day 5 so it lines up too
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 12 Jan 2019, 16:31

I'm now considering a whole foods diet for life not meat eggs dairy or gluten but it's so confusing some say wheat is fine some say no wheat some say eggs are fine some say dairy is fine like Abu some say grains are bad?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 12 Jan 2019, 16:33

I need a list of for I can live off of, some even say no to honey that's just straight out crazy honey like Manuka honey is one of the best things you can eat
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Okaybum » 12 Jan 2019, 16:44

French toast isn't bad but I'd pair it up with some fruit.

Also, fresh Peaches and pears are perfect right now just wait until they are soft. They assist with bowel movements. Apples are good too

Overall food is good. Maybe too good. But that just depends on your level of gas and if it's making you sore.

Food: I'd avoid corn. It doesn't digestso it will come out rough.

Alcohol: my worst pain is generally felt the morning after drinking a glass. Personally, I'd cut it out but that's from my experience.

Water: I'd aim for at least 3 litres.

Medicine: at the end of the day, I don't think your dosage is cutting it. I advise either Movicol or Docusate Sodium or a combination. To stop hard tips in the morning, I take a dose of movicol at 4-5;30pm and then a low dose of the small docusate sodium after dinner.

If you have constipating days, then I recommend drinking warm prune juice, half a glass to keep things moving.

Hope that helps.
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 12 Jan 2019, 16:56

3ltrs would wipe out all minerals I could stop all Alcohol but I don't want to take any non natural softener longterm so I'm trying the magnesium I mite just need to switch to the citrate I don't know what causes hard tips for me I mite start writing down a food diary so I can see
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Okaybum » 12 Jan 2019, 17:51

I don't believe it would, even BuzzFeed had a 3 litre challenge and I drink double what you do and everything is beautiful.

You may not want to take actual stool softeners, but you've posted all over the forum about being in pain, having blood, etc. You need to get that under control and what you're doing isn't working. So ultimately, it's pain vs healing and becoming pain free.
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 12 Jan 2019, 18:01

I was taking miralax/movical for like 2 years have only in the last 3 weeks started trying magnesium I mite need to up my water but 2- 2.5 ltrs a day seems good my sister has about 2 glasses of water a day without any problems actually all my family drink bugger all water and are fine with bms and here I am saying I need more then 2ltrs I read somewhere that if you eat right you almost don't need water at all like most food contain heaps of water, I just think things like bread and eggs mite not work for me hence issues with the French toast I no corns not good for me but it was mixed into the salad so I found it hard picking it out in front of people haha I did up the oxide to 2 morning then 2 at night and it cleared things up I need to find the right amount to create perfect bms everyday and get my diet cleaned right up im going to try whole food diet no meat dairy gluten just natural foods see how that goes but I struggle to stick to diets
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Abu » 13 Jan 2019, 01:07

Hey Missy, I see you still strugle with the water intake. You should not drink more than what your body tells you especially if you have an electrolyte imbalance. Did you take your blood pressure to see where you are with this?
Mg oxide is the least absorbed type of Mg and the best for softening stools. Do not hope for miracles to happen with Mg citrate.
The hard tips are caused by the stool which remains in the rectum, which absorbs water on a faster rate than the upper part of the colon. You can drink water till you drown and you will never be able to push it inside the colon. Btw, the water quantity inside stools does not exceed 70-80ml, so why would you drink 3l a day? The more you drink the less potassium you will have in your body and the harder your stools will become. You don't have to believe my word but try it for yourself - for 1 week drink only how much you want and see how it goes.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3