Diagnosed with ALS..now have anal fissure

Feedback on course of action

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Diagnosed with ALS..now have anal fissure

Postby Kim » 03 Dec 2018, 20:46

I have been diagnosed with ALS. I can still move around but I have a lot of pain and limitations.

Due to the meds I'm taking, I've always had to take magnesium and psyllium to combat constipation. Until about six months ago this has been working.

I developed three internal hemorrhoids and thought they were the source of my constant rectal pain. Upon examination, my gastro said I had a small fissure and he did a sigmoidoscopy to laser the hemorrhoids and get a better look at the fissure.

The after care involved things that I was already doing and he added a stool softener hoping the fissure would heal. It did not.

I went back today and he added Linzess 72 mcg once a day and nifedipine 0.2%/lidocaine 1.5% rectal ointment to see if that would heal the fissure.

I'm going back in six weeks. If I'm still in so much pain and it has not completely healed, he will refer me to a surgeon for LIS surgery.

When we talked about the rectal ointment, he told me I should put it on my finger and make sure it gets on the fissure but when I read anything about it, it says "topical" and implies it should be put on the outside skin around the anal area. Can someone enlighten me?

I'd also appreciate any feedback from people who have had the LIS procedure.

ALS is a terminal illness. I'm progressing very slowly but don't want to be incapacitated and then have the excruciating pain of a fissure on top of everything else.

Thank you for any info.
Kim
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Diagnosed with ALS..now have anal fissure

Postby chachacha » 03 Dec 2018, 21:44

I can't imagine how devastating the ALS diagnosis must have been, and am so terribly sorry that you are also suffering on the anal front. I had LIS a few years ago and recovered well. It was about 3 weeks until I was completely without pain, but only very sore for the first day. Doctors seem to be evenly split on how to apply the ointments, with some (like mine), saying that it should be applied outside, and the skin will absorb it, and others wanting you to put your finger inside, and apply the cream directly onto the fissure. If you are not improving in about two weeks, I hope that you can contact the CRS again, and ask to be seen sooner. Six weeks in a long time to be in pain.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Vishal » 11 Jan 2019, 18:46

Hi Kim

I'm very sorry that you are going through this. I myself have had some pretty dark days with Fissures and can empathize. I read your other post as well and you mentioned magnesium supplements. Have you stopped taking them? Also try coconut oil and/or olive oil orally as well as topically. It really helped me. Hang in there.

What may be more helpful than medication and diet is a strong resolve that you will overcome this disease.
Vishal
Salt Bather

Postby Kim » 13 Jan 2019, 19:02

So far I believe the ointment and Colace is helping. I've not had blood for over three weeks. The key is keeping my movements soft. I upped the magnesium dose but kept the psyllium to one dose. I've always eaten a lot of fiber and the Colace seems to keep everything moving twice a day with no effort. The bidet toilet seat is also wonderful. I stopped the sitz baths about three weeks ago and have not noticed a difference. Tomorrow I go back to the GI and will ask for more refills on the ointment because I believe the fissure is healing. I have no pain inserting my finger to apply the ointment.

I just have to be very careful not to get constipated and never use preparation H suppositories again. I think they caused the fissure as they are vasoconstricting. Also inserting them sometimes hurt.

I have so many other more serious health issues that I'm just praying this one is under control.
Kim
Fibre Addict

Postby Kim » 25 Mar 2019, 17:34

I went to a CR surgeon and he confirmed that the fissure healed completely. I'm keeping up with the Colace and the ointment and making sure I keep well hydrated.

I guess I surprised my gastro that it healed. Thank you for all your replies.
Kim
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 25 Mar 2019, 20:09

Great news! Congrats and thanks for coming back to let us know how things went. I wish you very good luck with your ALS too.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Kim » 26 Mar 2019, 09:06

Thank you!
Kim
Fibre Addict

Postby Abu » 26 Mar 2019, 11:50

Kim, why do you say ALS is a terminal disease? If you start thinking like this you will not be able to heal.
Did you try researching alternative medicine? There are countless of people with terminal diseases, like stage 4 cancer or AIDS that managed to heal.

You must try, you must work with yourself. read as much as you can about training your mind to help your body heal.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Kim » 26 Mar 2019, 17:58

I am highly educated and hold advanced degrees in both business and naturopathic health. I understand many alternative treatments including both micro and macro nutrition.

That said, I'm very offended that you compare ALS to cancer. You have no idea how many people I've lost who are friends with ALS. I've done extensive work in mind body as well as many other alternative therapies and do use them all.

I guess you are trying to help but your post is both ignorant and insulting. I'll no longer visit this forum so please do not reply to this thread.
Kim
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 26 Mar 2019, 18:51

I'm going to reply, because I was horrified by his comment too! Please don't leave because of one, uneducated poster.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha