Is Magnesium citrate safe for long-term use?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Is Magnesium citrate safe for long-term use?

Postby Okaybum » 13 Jan 2019, 02:04

Oh I have drank less. I kept having pain and retears so my mom recommended increasing water. Honestly, it's super hot here and I am now drinking over 4 litres. My BM are generally very soft and I feel it if I slack off on water.
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby missy moo » 13 Jan 2019, 03:04

Abu yes I completely agree if I drink more then 2ltrs it actually feels like I'm drowning myself when I swollow must be my body telling me to stop! I know I have ow blood pressure but I'll get the numbers tomorrow and let you know how much oxide do you think I should take I'm worried I mite take to much but on the bottle it says take 4-5 a day for mild relief and I'm taking 2 each capsule contains 250mg oxide and 50mg magnesium sulphate? I'm also concerned about taking it long term is it safe? Thanks so much Abu your words ring true for me
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Abu » 13 Jan 2019, 06:08

Unfortunately, Mg in oxide form is the worst for long term use as far as I read. It is the best for treating constipation because it is poorly absorbed. Related to long term usage, as the title of this topic states, there are no studies done so nobody knows. It's all about balance - how long are you willing to risk taking it or risk having another re-tear? We are very unfortunate to be able to go thourgh this but hey, others have it much worse.
I never tried Mg oxide myself so honestly I don't know what to say other than keep under 600mg per day in total like you already do. You can of course try citrate and see how it helps, but there is no guarantee of better results. Did you try Vitamin C? 2000mg per day brings no risks and it really helps. There are people takinh up to 10.000mg a day without issues.
Okaybum I think you are one of the lucky people who can drink so much water and not lose minerals. I have enever heard this before honestly. If you don't feel dizzy or have any form of anemia than you might have found the solution - good for you!
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 Jan 2019, 11:16

I second the prune juice idea. I've tried a 1/4 cup of prune juice on nights when I just don't feel like drinking miralax and the next morning the beginning BM is soft. I prefer eating 4 prunes every morning before breakfast, but I've run out so turned to the prune juice until I stock back up on the prunes. It's theorized that the sorbitol in the prunes helps move things along. Plain prunes are perfectly healthy and will not create a dependency, while prune juice is more concentrated and I guess shouldn't be taken in large doses long term.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Abu » 13 Jan 2019, 11:58

Agree with Patience here, prunes are OK as opposed to juice which has high concentration of sugar (fructose). Remember, we need a balanced diet in order to help our bodies to heal so fruits are quite good as long as we don't over do it.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 13 Jan 2019, 17:04

Hi Abu why is oxide the worst for long-term use? Does it do damage to the body? I have tried prunes and prune juice before bed the problem is is that even if I take heaps I get the plug effect hard plug followed by what ever sometimes perfect stool follows the plug sometimes if I take to much softener of any kind there will be a hard plug followed by diarrhoea it's like sometimes the every lowest part of the stool is untouchable but the softeners put on top of the upper stool if you know what I mean, Abu I'll try the vit C after I finish the oxide and try the citrate man this is a fulltime job, on the plus size today's BM wasnt hard but formed and compact but didn't hurt as much as the last few days of hard tipped bms did, I ate a tin of fruit salad for breakfast a vegetable salad for lunch and cauliflower potato and Kumara curry with quinoa for dinner with my normal 2lrs of water maybe a little less
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Abu » 14 Jan 2019, 00:27

Hi Missy, the oxide form of magnesium acts as an antacid and this causes poor digestion as well as breeding ground for H. Pylori. If you get a H. Pylori infection it will be extremely difficult to eradicate. Also, not having enough stomach acid might lead to GERD.
The diarrhea that follows a hard tip is definitely caused by the Mg oxide supplement, with citrate you should not experience the same.
I see you started eating good, keep up the good work and you will see results. Just remember, patience is a must and this is going to be a lifetime dedication.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 14 Jan 2019, 00:40

Abu I think you made me realise that when I said to you maybe I just need to eat some bad with the good food and not just eat heaps of bad food during the day and you said to me to let you know (when I was ready to get rid of the bad entirely) and something about that statement resignatored with me I'm planning and eatting much more healthier meals now but I'm still not sure what's good and bad but I am loving quinoa I'm trying to call myself gluten-free I look for gluten free options everywhere I'm also considering being a vegetarian just because if I remove meet that forces me to fill that space with nuts seeds vegetables fruits and beans also using the bread I also have to fill that space with more good stuff, do you think all beans are good for us like organic drained and washed beans? I know you don't like grains of any sort and so I remember that when I do my grocery shopping, I want to know everything about what is good for us and what is not good for us to ingest as human beings it's a fun journey now :|:
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Abu » 14 Jan 2019, 02:40

Hey Missy, I am glad you took the plunge. First things first: the fact that I don't eat grains does not mean they are bad for you. This is just me, I noticed they cause me digestion issues and hard stools. You might be different. My advice is to eat natural foods as much as possible and avoid processed foods. If you like quinoa, perfect, if you like legumes, perfect just make sure you can digest them properly. Otherwise look for ways to make them easier on your digestive system, like sprouting them for 24h,,etc. Do not assume that gluten is bad either, this is just a hype of our times. Try, try, try. If you like bread, go ahead and eat it but stay away from white bread which is heavily processed. Stick with sourdough bread instead made of whole grains. Just make sure you pay attention to stool consistency. Yes, vegetable oils are bad, trans-fats are bad, excess sugar is bad. If you stick to natural occurrences of sugar you will be fine, as this always comes packed with fiber. You have a lot to learn but the main Ideea is to stick to natural foods as much as possible and watch how you feel.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 14 Jan 2019, 03:17

Yes I'm just beginning this journey but the fact that I'm aware of what's needed is change is a good step I just need to learn what works for me I love sourdough could live off it but I'm to scared to trial and error every food group I'll just see what works as I try to avoid things that I think are no good like gluten and if on my track I add in some bad things I can see what doesn't affect me like maybe hopefully sourdough bread but for now I just need a break from pain so what's working is working g for now I am looking forward to trying the citrate, I wonder if O need a BM morning and night as sometimes I have 1 a day other times I have 2 when I have 2 they are a breeze but one every 24hrs seems to dry out the tip let it be known that the only problem I have is a hard tip I go everyday and I have a perfect urge it's just the first 10th that aggravates the fissure or makes it bleed because it's hard like pebbles even though I go every day? I always thought that constipation was from not going often enough but in my case it is going often enough but with a hard tip!
missy moo
King Fissure