Anal Fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal Fissure

Postby Ow1984 » 23 Feb 2019, 14:36

Had blood in toilet intermittently since last March but it seemed to only be in the toilet after I had a night drinking heavily. But when I wpied was often on the toilet paper. Decided to go to doctors last November expecting them to say hemmeroids. Got referred to a CRS who then proceeded to a flex sigmoidoscopy. On having the sigmoidoscopy he didnt see anything but on coming out he noticed a anal fissure. Started taking the rectogesic early January proceeded for 3 weeks and then thought I'd be OK 1 week later and heavy night drinking bosh blood In the toilet again. How long till these things go? I don't have the extreme pain that some have but it can sting for a time. Anyone else have alcohol effect their fissure?
Ow1984
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Anal Fissure

Postby Abu » 23 Feb 2019, 23:07

Hi Ow and welcome to this forum. Does the alcohool causes harder stools for you? This would explain the blod from the fissure, otherwise the issue might be elsewhere.
You are lucky for not being in pain but please be aware of what might happen if you don't deal with this now before it becomes worse.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ow1984 » 24 Feb 2019, 02:51

I'm not sure because normally it's when I'm very drunk and in the middle of the night. I would imagine I strain quite a bit in the night as that's fairly standard for me. The flexible sigmoidoscopy was clear apart from the fissure. Think that's why my crs is happy it's nothing else. Just can't get my head round why alcohol seems to effect it. Do have slight pain / stinging but not the hours / days people have on here.
Ow1984
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 26 Feb 2019, 12:50

It's probably because alcohol dehydrates your body and that can have all sorts of effects. If I were you I'd give up the straining habit because that's going to cause hypertrophy of the sphincter muscles plus additional fun things like hemorrhoids. Deep breathing and focusing on the diaphragm while having a BM is a safer way.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Ow1984 » 27 Feb 2019, 06:37

OK it's just everywhere I read is that Fissures don't bleed much. Also is it possible that I had hemmeroids and 3-4 weeks later they had shrunk enough not to be visible during signoidoscopy
Ow1984
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 27 Feb 2019, 19:11

I really don't know much about hemorrhoids but I imagine it's certainly possible that they can shrink if the inflammation goes down.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby hurtinend » 28 Feb 2019, 19:26

In my opinion diet and drinking (alcohol) have very little to do with bum problems. Some of us are prone to it and other factors like stress etc can contribute. I know many many folks who live free and do not think for one moment about potential impacts of poor diet and excessive alcohol....they all are fine...that doesn't mean it won't catch up to them in the future in some way, not necessarily fissure related.

Whatever you do, don't strain...I recommend flax seed, couple tablespoons every morning with berries for breakfast, follow it with lots of liquid. Magnesium Citrate approx 400 to 600 mg per day..this will keep stools soft and easy to pass.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52