New and need help!!

Post fissure surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New and need help!!

Postby ktaylor21 » 02 Mar 2019, 15:32

Hello! I’m new and dealing with the horrible pain that is an anal fissure. I had surgery on 2/9 - fissurectomy with Botox. I’m almost four weeks out bad had a hard bowel movement and the pain came back. I had gone back to work after two weeks (doctor told me I could stop stool softener but continue with fiber supplements) and this happened yesterday - Friday. It was painful enough I left work and went home to do sitz baths and take Tylenol and rest while finishing out the day.

IT FELT LIKE A HUGE STEP BACK. I wanted to cry. By night I could sit but when I went to the bathroom again today, pain ensued. I’m laying in bed not in pain now - I think that’s because of the baths and Botox. Does that seem right?

But I’m wanting to know if this has ever happened to any of you after surgery? How did you change your diet to encourage non hard bowels? How long did it take after the setback to feel normal? What supplements did you take until you were healed? Anything help that can help this anxiety induced human I would so appreciate.

Talk soon.
Katie
ktaylor21

Topics: 2

Re: New and need help!!

Postby Okaybum » 02 Mar 2019, 16:13

I'm sorry it happened but I think its fairly common to have set backs. I recommend staying on the stool softeners for awhile longer.
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Abu » 02 Mar 2019, 23:30

Totally agree with Okaybum, please stay on softeners at least 6 months and stop the fiber supplements. these only bulk your stool.
You will not be able to have perfect stools every single day so you need to be prepared to handle harder BMs as well.
Vaseline or coconut oil before BMs also help. You need to learn your body and foresee when a harder one is about to come. For example, if yo normally go twice a day and sometimes in the future you only go once, you should know that the next day it will be harder because it remained inside for longer - so then you have to take measures. Take a higher dose of softener, use vaseline, etc.

Also, it is probably not needed to remind you but you must ditch all non-healthy food for life. There is no turning back so work with yourself to understand this and enjoy a different way of eating and living. Also, you have to prioritize exercise - you know, all this stuff that doctors keep saying for years.
Good luck!
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby ktaylor21 » 03 Mar 2019, 09:39

Abu, thank you so much. So you ditched the fiber? How did you change your diet? What did you eliminate? What did you change that you noticed a difference in? And exercise is joining this club as well. Please any food and drinking fluids advice is really needed!!!

Also, the pain after a hard stool, how do you deal with that? Especially at work? Isn’t the wound from surgery supposed to heal about after 3 months?

Thanks again!!
ktaylor21

Postby MarkM » 03 Mar 2019, 11:18

Abu,
Is the retear could be of many causes ??
Hard stool
Mental stress
Gluten food
Pelvic floor weakness
Lack of mucus in rectal area
Hydration
Bulk stool
What else ?
MarkM
Salt Bather

Postby Abu » 03 Mar 2019, 11:19

Hi K, I am not referring to ditching the fiber but the fiber supplements. Natural fiber found in vegetables and fruits is much better and healthier and recommended. I personally completely eliminated processed foods, sugar and grains. Only occasionally I indulge in sourdough bread. But it is important to get to know your body. There are many healthy diets around and you can choose whatever works for you and the one which you like and put no effort in keeping it.
Think about eating a variet diet in order to give your body all the nutrients it needs. Vegetables, diary, meat, fish, fruits, honey, starches - there is a lot for you to choose from.
My personal plan of fighting this is to build a healthy gut flora. This is why I do not take any medicines and rely soley on Magnesium and Vitamin C as stool softeners. I also hidrate my body according to the need - I tried in the past to drink more than my body told me to with dire consequences in terms of fissure recurrence.

For the pain, I cannot give you any advice because I am pain free for 4 years already. I also never had any surgery so cannot guide you here but there are many others on this board that will help you with this.

I can give you many other advice that worked for me but this doesn;t guarantee it will have the same effect on you. Just be positive and know that there will be an end to this, even if we have to tend to our bums for the rest of our lives, it will become a habbit or second nature just.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ktaylor21 » 03 Mar 2019, 13:41

Very helpful. Any recommendations on vegetables that you like and have found that work well? I’ve started with oatmeal in the morning, changes snacks to things like apples and plums, lunch will just be a piece of chicken or fish. And same for dinner - just trying to figure out what soluble fiber food also works and I can coordinate in. Does dairy not irritate? Magnesium I’ll look up! Any other helpful hints are great - I love the idea of changing my diet with the right fiber so I don’t have to take the fiber pills!!

Thanks all and any!!!
ktaylor21

Postby MarkM » 03 Mar 2019, 16:45

Abu wrote:Hi K, I am not referring to ditching the fiber but the fiber supplements. Natural fiber found in vegetables and fruits is much better and healthier and recommended. I personally completely eliminated processed foods, sugar and grains. Only occasionally I indulge in sourdough bread. But it is important to get to know your body. There are many healthy diets around and you can choose whatever works for you and the one which you like and put no effort in keeping it.
Think about eating a variet diet in order to give your body all the nutrients it needs. Vegetables, diary, meat, fish, fruits, honey, starches - there is a lot for you to choose from.
My personal plan of fighting this is to build a healthy gut flora. This is why I do not take any medicines and rely soley on Magnesium and Vitamin C as stool softeners. I also hidrate my body according to the need - I tried in the past to drink more than my body told me to with dire consequences in terms of fissure recurrence.

For the pain, I cannot give you any advice because I am pain free for 4 years already. I also never had any surgery so cannot guide you here but there are many others on this board that will help you with this.

I can give you many other advice that worked for me but this doesn;t guarantee it will have the same effect on you. Just be positive and know that there will be an end to this, even if we have to tend to our bums for the rest of our lives, it will become a habbit or second nature just.

Well said Abu.

Magnesium , do you take magnesium citrate how much mg?
MarkM
Salt Bather

Postby Abu » 04 Mar 2019, 11:43

Hi K, you are free to eat whatever vegetables you like, as long as you don't experience symptoms like bloating or other pains. I personally like to avoid skin (like tomato, cucumber, potato or apple skin) but others do not have any issues incorporating insoluble fiber as well.
Diary it depends, some people experience slower motility from cheese for example. I enjoy home made yogurt, heavy cream and raw milk every single day and never had any issues - including harder stools from diary. Butter is also very good because fat encourages motility.

Hi Mark, Magnesium citrate I take between 400 and 600mg a day. others take less others more, it very much depends on how your body responds. It is crucial to take it on empty stomach otherwise it will not work as a softener.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby js50z » 23 Mar 2019, 08:31

hi,
also had operation in December 2017. Still had TERRIBLE PAINS after year every stool, whole body in pain, terrible pelvic pain, headaches, hearth fast beating,pains that no one would beleive how much it hurts. Pains are constant. Went trough all food prodedure and pain is getting worse and worse. I am trying to find some help after this years and half but seems nothing is helpfull any more. Is it normal to have such pains after year and half operation????WHAT WOULD BE THE NEXT STEP. I was adviced from dr. it is finnal time to do MR neurography and MR of pelvic flor. I did CT before operation and nothing. PLEASE HELP WITH ANY ADVICE!!!!! i am female
js50z
Fibre Addict