Greek surgeons' fissure treatment

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Greek surgeons' fissure treatment

Postby patience_and_healing » 14 Dec 2018, 12:06

An interesting paper that I found which describes how fissures can be fixed without LIS: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5566784/

Might be useful for those who live there or can travel to Greece for this.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Re: Greek surgeons' fissure treatment

Postby Bloops » 08 Mar 2019, 02:29

I live in Holland and I visited this guy about one week ago. I saw him on Tuesday 27th and had the operation on Wednesday February 28th

I must say the difference so far has been amazing.

He is insisting that I use a suppository for the healing of the laser wound.. But I find it really bothers me and has made things slightly worse but nothing compared to the 4-8 hours of pain after the toilet. Just some stinging on the toilet and very minimal dull pain during the day. Only 4 suppositories left so I hope it doesn't set me back too much. Afterwards it's coconut oil.

But I would suggest this guy to anyone. Dr. Pappas has 10 years experience and is a really understanding person and more so a bum professional. Google search "procto clinic Athens" and see the reviews for yourself.

I will post my recovery diary at a later date with more details. Just wanna wait a bit and see what happens first.

Wish u well
Bloops
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby patience_and_healing » 08 Mar 2019, 10:56

When I posted that link I never thought that someone would actually post about their experience there. It's great that you were able to be treated by the doctor! I hope you have a quick recovery and can stop thinking about your rear end constantly.

Did you stay back in Athens to recover for a few days before traveling home?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Bloops » 08 Mar 2019, 13:27

Yes. After the surgery was performed on Wednesday, I left Greece on Sunday evening.

I was even able to sightsee a bit that morning before leaving.
Bloops
Fibre Addict

Postby Bkan » 08 Mar 2019, 17:05

Hi bloops

I'm glad you are on the road to recovery.
Laser is becoming very popular now as I've been researching a lot in this area due to my fissure issue. Found a few surgeons in India and even spoken to them on the phone (phone consultations) regarding my current status and next steps. The ones I've contacted carry a laser sphincteroctomy, is that what you had done?

One surgeon I spoke to in India advised I may need a laser stricturoplasty as I've had multiple surgery's in that area and that can cause anal narrowing. He advised that also based on my symptoms of feeling of constipation when passing stools, but my stools are definitely soft as I'm on a very strict high fibre diet. I also have a skin tag and he advised he would remove that too with laser.(I've had not ox injected and skin tag incision previously, but my skin tag returned and fissure intermittently bleeds).

I'm so glad I've seen.your post about a place in Greece as Greece is a lot closer for me to travel as I'm based in the UK. I will look up the details you sent thank you.
Bkan
Fibre Addict

Postby Bkan » 08 Mar 2019, 17:08

Thank you patience and healing for sharing that link
Bkan
Fibre Addict

Postby Bloops » 08 Mar 2019, 17:50

Hey Bkan..

I actually thought it was a laser sphincterotomy.. But I was mistaken. It was a laser fissurectomy.. Where he just refreshes the area by burning away the scar tissue and gives the Fisher a fresh atmosphere for healing.

I was scared and skeptical... But from the time of my first bowel movement which was Friday March 1st, (after the Wednesday procedure) I knew things were very different for the better.

The procedure was done in a clinic with anaesthesia. The worst part for me was the enema cuz I'm not good with anything going up (enemas or suppositories). The day before the procedure I had 2 BMs.. So I don't know if that is the reason that the enema did not make me poop. But they said it happens sometimes and still went ahead.

I woke up with some dull pain in the area.. A nurse came and changed the dressing and gave me instructions as well as a prescription. My biggest worry was that I had a swollen bump on the outside but they said its normal and prescribed an ointment as well as a drink for it and now it's more or less gone.

I still use docusate sodium (dulcoease) and I spoke to the secretary today and she said to stop the suppository is causing so much discomfort. So I will melt them and try to get them in with a qtip and my finger.

Dr. Pappas' English is not great but his secretary speaks fluently and she is quite knowledgeable and kind.

The key now, from what they keep stressing is to avoid constipation.. And so far I'm pretty good. I will update u in 2 days as I think the suppository attempts for 6 nights is the only reason I don't say fantastic instead of pretty good. I started the suppository Saturday night (March 2nd) as instructed, but I feel like the bowel movements i had prior to those were slightly better than the ones I have these days cuz I feel a very slight sting. Or maybe cuz I'm a bit too excited and eating more.

They are worth the call. I called them and they made the appointment for a week later. They really care about solving the pain. If you go tell them stefan says hi :)

Hoping for the best for you. I'll keep u posted about my next few days.

PS.. I had a botox also on Feb 1st but it didn't do much. And Dr. Pappas says it is fine to do the procedure with the botox and can even be helpful.
Bloops
Fibre Addict

Postby Bkan » 11 Mar 2019, 06:55

Hi Stefan

Sorry for the late reply. How are you feeling now? Any pain our bumps?

I have heard of a fissureoctomy hear in the UK, but again they don't do that with laser.

Was that done under local or general anestetic?

Prunes or prune juice is very good to avoid constipation.

Can I ask you did you find it difficult to go through your history with the dr as he didn't know much English?
Bkan
Fibre Addict

Postby Bloops » 13 Mar 2019, 16:00

Hi Bkan,

The 1 Bump is 95% gone. Pain is almost gone completely. Only if I walk too much or lift something too heavy then I get a pinch.

My bowel movements are pretty good. A dull sensation but no pain to talk about really. Still have lots of anxiety so I won't abandon the stool softener. I don't have constipation at all being vegan and a lover of fruits.. But I really want the stool to be quite soft and diet alone cannot guarantee that. Over the next few weeks I will slowly decrease the docusate sodium.

I plan to return to work Monday.

For the procedure I was under general anaesthetic, but not for very long I think as it's a pretty quick procedure.

And to answer your question about communication, yes it was a bit difficult directly to the doctor. I was lucky that I had a friend in Greece who was able to talk to him on two occasions for me. Otherwise I would advise talking to his assistant who can speak to him on your behalf. Perhaps using written correspondence.

Hope this info is helpful! All the best!
Bloops
Fibre Addict

Postby Bkan » 14 Mar 2019, 08:59

Thank you Stefan

I am glad you are doing well. Plenty of water is the key and I feel that helps me to avoid constipation.

Thank you for your help, I am still researching places to get laser done and making sure I feel comfortable with the one I pick. I guess I a worried about the pain after as with any surgery in that area, time is important for healing.

I think with laser I am scared of the burning pain after as I automatically think of burning skin with laser...did you get the symptoms of burning?
Bkan
Fibre Addict