Brand new to AF

Healing AF when you have IBS-D

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Brand new to AF

Postby BarrieCov » 17 Mar 2019, 13:17

Hi all.

I was just diagnosed with an AF. I have had IBS-D for year, but finally had it under control. I had one difficult bowel movement, which tore me and here I am.

The CRS I saw gave me the standard lines about fiber, water, sitz baths, etc. He also gave me a calcium-blocker cream (I think I'm allergic to it actually, so had to stop).

My issue is that I've been increasing the fiber, which has only resulted in multiple bouts of diarrhea, which is irritating the AF even more. I'm afraid to cut back too much, since I don't want to get constipated. I was using Colace, which was useless, so tried magnesium, which gave me more diarrhea.

I've been doing the sitz baths, using Calmo-4 at night, putting coconut oil mixed with turmeric on the tear. It seemed to be getting a little better until all of the fiber kicked in and now it's bleeding again.

As you all know firsthand, this is miserable. I can't seem to strike the right balance, so that I can still go comfortably, but not multiple times and also start to heal the fissure.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Barrie
BarrieCov
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Brand new to AF

Postby patience_and_healing » 17 Mar 2019, 18:34

Sorry that you're dealing with this awful problem. I think IBS-D in general reacts badly to insoluble fiber like beans, leafy greens, etc. Try following the fodmap diet for the correct types of fiber. Miralax is a good option for keeping BMs soft but not runny, though it takes a bit of trial and error to find the right dose. Also you need to be well hydrated for it to work correctly. Ask your doctor if there's a different ointment he can prescribe since you reacted badly to the first one.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby BarrieCov » 18 Mar 2019, 13:09

Thank you for the advice!

Unfortunately, the low fodmap diet is what got me here in the first place. I will definitely try the Miralax option -hopefully, that will be more gentle than the magnesium.
BarrieCov
Fibre Addict

Postby Okaybum » 22 Mar 2019, 04:51

Did you have diarrhea or constipation with low FODMAP?
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby BarrieCov » 22 Mar 2019, 07:02

I have IBS-D. The low FODMAP helped somewhat, but when I removed too many of them, my stool got too hard to pass, which created the tear.
BarrieCov
Fibre Addict

Postby Okaybum » 22 Mar 2019, 07:17

I was simply curious. I have IBS but it fluctuates. I have been great up until last Saturday. I suspect I made it bleed but it was so little that it's difficult to tell. Low FODMAP cured my excess gas. It was perfect but I was struggling to have a 2nd BM and 7pm would pass and nothing. I'd drink prune juice. This wasn't normal as I usually would go at 6am and 3pm, and again that night with a few days of going at 6. 12, 3, 10. It was a welcome change but the BM soon became hard and big. I couldn't place it, I even blamed the cheese.
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby BarrieCov » 22 Mar 2019, 07:25

Okaybum - it's a delicate balance. It might be that you need some FODMAP foods (as I discovered) and removing the most problematic ones will calm things down, but not block you up. My biggest trigger seemed to be onions.
BarrieCov
Fibre Addict

Postby Okaybum » 22 Mar 2019, 16:26

I'll be looking into it more and do my own investigations. You're absolutely right, it is a delicate balance.
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby BarrieCov » 22 Mar 2019, 16:34

Okaybum - I hope you find that sweet spot! It's definitely a challenge and I wish you healing.
BarrieCov
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 7275 » 22 Mar 2019, 19:54

-
Last edited by Deleted User 7275 on 23 Mar 2019, 05:02, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 7275