Considering lis help!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Considering lis help!

Postby missy moo » 20 Jul 2019, 16:20

So most of you know me by now been around here suffering from a chronic anal fissure for 6 years. I've had Botox twice my most recent Botox was done 7 weeks ago and for 5 weeks I had my life back! Now the fissure is back. During the 5 weeks of freedom I also had soft bms now my bms have gone back to having hard tips. My question is that since the first Botox made my life a bit better all and all and the second Botox completely freed me am I a good candidate for lis? Since Botox worked well while active does that mean lis would work well for me? Does this mean I basically need lis because my resting tone must be high?

:thankyou:
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Re: Considering lis help!

Postby Tatie » 22 Jul 2019, 18:10

Hi Missy Moo:)

This would be a good question for a CRS...however my instincts lead me to believe that if the botox gave you relief by essentially relaxing your resting anal pressure, I would think a LIS is a more permanent solution? I am relatively new to this forum ( what an amazing place !:) ) and I am scheduled to have a LIS this Thursday July 25th. I have had my chronic AF for two years now and I am DONE with the battle :)
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 23 Jul 2019, 20:10

Hi Tatie first off let me say welcome this place truely is amazing full of lovely supportive people all going though the same thing or something similar. Are you a male or female? Why didn't you try Botox first? And why did your crs say you needed or fit the criteria for an lis?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Tatie » 24 Jul 2019, 07:16

Hi Missy Moo!

I am a 44 yr old female. I did discuss botox with my surgeon, however he said it doesn't have a great long term success rate and since I have had a chronic AF for 2yrs for sure I have a high resting tone and the LIS will be a permanent solution. He said he will do a closed LIS- and in his 17 yr career he has never had a patient suffer with incontinence post-op.He said his success rate is 98% with LIS, however 2% of people require a second LIS on the opposite side because one just isn't enough to relieve the pressure needed for enough blood flow to heal the fissure. My LIS is scheduled tomorrow....I just want my life back :) He gave me the choice of trying botox first...but I want this done and over with and to return to my normal life.

I did a lot of research before choosing this surgeon...he is rated #1 on a long list on CRSs in my area and I read a ton of reviews from his patients. I also had a great vibe from him. He wasn't a surgery pusher ...he was just matter of fact. He gave me nifedipine 0.5% and told me to apply it four times per day - this would give me a 70% chance of healing after 12 weeks. I didn't heal so I opted for the LIS.

Thanks for the welcome message :) I have read tons of posts on here and it has greatly helped my decision process.
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 25 Jul 2019, 01:03

Hey did you have lis today? What country are you in? I'm trying to find a good crs in NZ
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Tatie » 25 Jul 2019, 16:41

Hello Missy Moo!

I did have my LIS today. Good news: It was a piece of cake. Fell asleep in the OR peacefully and home and have no pain. Bad news: I am in the 2% of people who have anal stenosis- this means that I MAY require a second LIS ...only time will tell. I am totally bummed that I may need to go through this again...he said some people do just fine with one surgery and others absolutely need the opposite side cut. So...to be continued :/
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 25 Jul 2019, 17:31

Glad to hear your on the other side Tatie!

I am also part of that 2% with anal stenosis. But surgeon didn't mention possibility of a 2nd cut. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us.
jis76
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Tatie » 25 Jul 2019, 17:40

Aren't we so privileged? :)

My surgeon said that some need it...others don't. One LIS can give your anus enough of a stretch. Are your BMs larger in diameter since the LIS?
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 25 Jul 2019, 17:45

Larger than before.. hard to tell so far. Still pretty soft and not well formed, I probably been over doing it on the fiber....

I can say this, it feels like something wider could make it through now without the tearing feeling.
jis76
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Tatie » 25 Jul 2019, 17:48

I hope my recovery is smooth like yours :) Fingers crossed !Keep the updates coming I like to know what's coming my way :) Especially since we both have the lovely stenosis factor.
Tatie
Salt Bather