I'm new here.

Anal fissure support

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I'm new here.

Postby amandag2385 » 30 Sep 2019, 21:27

Hi, my name is Amanda and I have suffered with hemmroids for about 15 years. 3 years ago, I had a colonoscopy(with no findings of polyps) and during that procedure, I also underwent a hemorroidindectomy for 3 internal and one external hemmroid. About 2 months ago I started experiencing the hemmroids again to the extent of moderate discomfort. About a month ago I began experiencing severe discomfort and burning and a feeling of passing, what feels like glass, during bowel movements. I followed up with my gastroenterologist, who did an examination and diagnosed me with an anal fissure. Before seeing me he prescribed hydrocortisone and lidocaine cream because he was still treating me for my known reoccurrence of hemorrhoids. These only made the burning sensation that much worse, since neither of us knew it was a fissure. Since my appointment 6 days ago, he has since prescribed diltiazem 2% ointment for treatment, and it does seem to be helping, sometimes. Today the spasms I was experiencing were almost intolerable. When I feel like I need to have a bowel movement, the pain is excruciating. It feels like I can feel my stool pushing on the fissure. I have done a lot of research and I haven't found anyone who has cited this occurrence. The spasms afterward only persist when I can feel I haven't emptied my bowels completely. I can only get relief when I strain to release the rest of the stool. I know this is NOT ideal because straining csn further rupture or cause a new fissure. Can anyone relate to my experience and/or give me some advice?
amandag2385

Topics: 1

Re: I'm new here.

Postby chachacha » 01 Oct 2019, 08:18

Welcome to the forum and a personal congratulations on surviving a hemorrhoidectomy (I had one about 18 months ago). The amount of pain and whether it happens during, after a bowel movement or both, depends on its location and its dimensions. There have been many posters on this forum who report extreme pain while passing a movement and say that it feels like a broken glass of vinegar as it exits. I, myself, had most of the pain for about 10 hours after each movement, and only moderate pain during it.

You should take a look at posts in the general anal fissure discussion forum, and see what information you can glean from there.

Also, I hope that our posters who've had a similar experience, can share their own experiences with you too.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby amandag2385 » 01 Oct 2019, 19:49

Thank you for your feedback. I guess I am just looking for someone who understands what I am going through. No one I know has had a fissure(at least that they are willing to admit). I am really happy I found somewhere to share my experience.
amandag2385

Postby Notsobootylicious » 11 Oct 2019, 19:01

I totally understand what you are going through. I also suffer from an anal fissure and like you feel the need to push out the leftovers. However I have reached a point where going has become too painful that I can’t/won’t go. In fact, it hurts to even pass gas.

I have read a few of the posts and it seems that changing your diet seems to make a big difference. And of course soaking.
Notsobootylicious

Postby SueMac » 15 Oct 2019, 13:04

Welcome to the forum. Definitely worth searching old posts. People have had all sorts of different experiences on here. It seems that fissures and the like cause different types of response in people and can vary hugely.
SueMac
Fissureologist

Topics: 7