Scheduled for LIS on 10/10/19

Ongoing Sphincter Spasm

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Scheduled for LIS on 10/10/19

Postby tight80 » 28 Jan 2020, 02:03

Hi NWJ - Thank you for posting the update and glad to hear that you are on your way to recovery! I hope you have the same experience as I did with the first BM, which was totally pain free! : )

One thing to keep in mind over these next few months: whenever you get frustrated with a plateau or a setback, just keep reminding yourself that it's totally NORMAL for this type of recovery to move in ups and downs. Try to be patient with your body and give yourself time (lots and lots of time). At 3.5 months post op I still have to remind myself of this, but I can't tell you how blessed I feel to have some normalcy back. It had been 15 years of problems for me and now it's like time has been reversed and I've gained all of those years back! Yes, there have been adjustments and new routines to put into place, but I'm very happy to say that it was totally worth it. The people on this board really helped with the recovery process so please reach out and post if you have any questions or concerns as you move through yours. I wish you a very successful recovery!
tight80
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby trillo » 28 Jan 2020, 08:29

Hi North West Jen, I'm glad you did the LIS and fissurectomy because your odds now are very high that you will be completely cured of this terrible problem. Keep hydrated and follow all the instructions. My first week post-op was very difficult and painful but yours may not be. Even if it is, remember that it WILL get better soon, and in time you will be rid of the problem. Keep us posted. All best wishes.
trillo
Fibre Addict

Postby trillo » 13 Aug 2021, 23:15

I haven't posted here for a long time and I can't find my posts, but I want to give an update and hopefully give some info that might be helpful to others...

I had LIS surgery in March, 2019 after about six months of terrible pain from what turned out to be TWO anal fissures. So, my surgery was an open LIS for BOTH fissures plus my CRS removed two large scar tissue areas near EACH fissure. From what I've subsequently read, CLOSED LIS seems preferable to OPEN regarding post-op pain and recovery time, but my CRS only does open.

FIrst, the good news: I am completely healed. No pain, and moving my bowels is generally much easier and more comfortable than anytime I can remember from BEFORE I developed anal fissures.

The only "negative" regarding my LIS is that my recovery took MUCH longer than my CRS assured me it would. I know that everyone heals differently depending on their particular condition and general health etc. In my case I did not feel COMPLETELY healed until about 15 months post-op. Along the way I was worried that I'll never completely heal, because the pain and itching was still there for so long. I did VERY gradually begin to feel less pain and less itching, even though it took about 13 months longer than my CRS predicted to completely feel healed. And focusing on the positive here, the bottom line is that I have felt completely healed now for about a year and a half. So, keep that in mind if you are contemplating LIS - you may recover very quickly as many patients do, but even if your recovery is very slow - as mine was - you still will PROBABLY be on the road to a complete recovery. And that is certainly something to look forward to.
trillo
Fibre Addict

Postby ken2021 » 16 Aug 2021, 00:05

trillo wrote:I haven't posted here for a long time and I can't find my posts, but I want to give an update and hopefully give some info that might be helpful to others...

I had LIS surgery in March, 2019 after about six months of terrible pain from what turned out to be TWO anal fissures. So, my surgery was an open LIS for BOTH fissures plus my CRS removed two large scar tissue areas near EACH fissure. From what I've subsequently read, CLOSED LIS seems preferable to OPEN regarding post-op pain and recovery time, but my CRS only does open.

FIrst, the good news: I am completely healed. No pain, and moving my bowels is generally much easier and more comfortable than anytime I can remember from BEFORE I developed anal fissures.

The only "negative" regarding my LIS is that my recovery took MUCH longer than my CRS assured me it would. I know that everyone heals differently depending on their particular condition and general health etc. In my case I did not feel COMPLETELY healed until about 15 months post-op. Along the way I was worried that I'll never completely heal, because the pain and itching was still there for so long. I did VERY gradually begin to feel less pain and less itching, even though it took about 13 months longer than my CRS predicted to completely feel healed. And focusing on the positive here, the bottom line is that I have felt completely healed now for about a year and a half. So, keep that in mind if you are contemplating LIS - you may recover very quickly as many patients do, but even if your recovery is very slow - as mine was - you still will PROBABLY be on the road to a complete recovery. And that is certainly something to look forward to.

Wow what a nice story , so I am here now 4 weeks and 3 days post OP , still had soreness in LIS area, but the main issue which is the deep fissure pain is gone! However i had discomfort that hits my day, and i still feel needle pricks and some minimal pain here and there. So i might think that i need more months to be completely healed :)
ken2021
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby trillo » 16 Aug 2021, 01:09

Have you had a post op exam with your CRS? I'd expect that you would have had two post op exams by now, but at least one. if not, I would schedule one ASAP to get his/her assessment of how you are healing. But based on my experience you sound like you are healing fine and that it is just a matter of time till a complete recovery. And if you take care of yourself from now on - drink lots of water, avoid straining during bowel movements, eat a good, high fiber diet - it is nearly certain that you will never get another AF. :)
trillo
Fibre Addict

Postby ken2021 » 16 Aug 2021, 01:37

Yes i had two, 1st week post OP and the second was on last 2 days ago, Yeah he said wound healing nicely, Actually he said It looks good, But then i still had sore in the area, the pain is like roller coaster, sometimes 0 pain, and then comes back again with minimal pain + discomfort, So based on your story it took you one year and one month to be completely healed? So the LIS works but takes so much time to be 100%. Im waiting to reach 6-8 weeks post OP hoping that i have no pain that time , tired of fissure issue lol
ken2021
Salt Bather

Postby trillo » 16 Aug 2021, 07:27

That's great news that your CRS said the wound is healing nicely and looks good. You will probably heal completely a lot sooner than I did. Most people do. I had TWO very deep fissures plus scar tissue and skin tags. Most people's condition is not as severe as mine was. But even though I wasn't completely healed for over a year, the pain and discomfort became gradually better, so it was minimal after a few months. You are doing very well. Best of luck to you!
trillo
Fibre Addict

Postby ken2021 » 20 Aug 2021, 10:31

trillo wrote:That's great news that your CRS said the wound is healing nicely and looks good. You will probably heal completely a lot sooner than I did. Most people do. I had TWO very deep fissures plus scar tissue and skin tags. Most people's condition is not as severe as mine was. But even though I wasn't completely healed for over a year, the pain and discomfort became gradually better, so it was minimal after a few months. You are doing very well. Best of luck to you!

Thankyou for being responsive :) Anyway it it really nice to see your update , You did it after a long time amazing !!!!
ken2021
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 30 Aug 2021, 16:19

North West Jen wrote:Tight80,
Yay, so happy for your great follow up! I’ve been battling off and on for 3 years. I did dialtzem cream for 6 weeks 3 years ago and it worked but as soon as I stopped the cream the fissure opened back up. I did Botox after that and that worked great until about 4 weeks into healing when it didn’t heal right and formed an abscess, which turned into a low fistula. I had fistula surgery to unroof it and it took forever to finally heal...6+ months. I got pregnant with my third when I was still healing and I was terrified that something would happen down there and I would need a procedure and wouldn’t be able to have it done because of my pregnancy. Much to my surprise, about 2 months into my pregnant I healed up and felt normal. I went my whole pregnancy and delivery feeling great down there. 2 months after baby I started feeling uncomfortable again. I couldn’t wrap my head around it for the longest time but what I think happened is blood flow increases so much during pregnancy that I was finally able to heal and when the blood flow left after pregnancy things went back. It wasn’t the same pain as a fissure. No spams but just uncomfortable inside. I was thinking hemorrhoids since I just had a baby and she said I have a fissure inside just above where my old fissure was. This is where the dialtzem cream came back into the picture but I had a reaction this time and had to stop using it. We discussed Botox again but ultimately my CRS decided to refer me to a more specialized CRS who does lots of LIS. My CRS doesn’t do LIs much since Botox has been a thing. Anyway, I’m waiting to see the new CRS dec 18th. Wish me luck!

Hey your story is similar to mine I've had 3 kids now but my fissure started 2wks after having my first child nearly 8 years ago its been on an off ever since then no pain for 1-2 wks then the fissure retears my fissure is also anterior which is more common in woman. I was told to push for 2hrs during the delivery and ended up with 2nd degree tear 7 stitchers into the perineum I've always wondered if birth/pelvic floor etc is what started this. I haven't see very good surgeons an crs because none have mentioned maybe another issue involved. I've just been told if you can't handle it then you'll have to get lis which has risks. They basically scared me away from lis so I've been battling it alone for 8 years also did botox twice. How do you know if something else is the problem? Maybe i need yo go pay to see a private crs
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37