My 2020 LIS and Fissurecotomy Diary

LIS

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: My diary of fissures and soon to have LIS...

Postby North West Jen » 29 Dec 2019, 02:07

LIS is scheduled for Jan 27th.
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby North West Jen » 15 Jan 2020, 23:40

I’m starting to get anxious and nervous of my upcoming LIS and fissurectomy. I’ve been getting phone call preparations from the hospital. Eeekk! Just so ready to be done with this.
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 16 Jan 2020, 00:42

You'll be fine imagine the outcome is of you getting your life back. Happy New year!
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby North West Jen » 16 Jan 2020, 00:45

Thanks Missy Moo. 2020 will be a good year for us!
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby North West Jen » 28 Jan 2020, 00:09

Surgery is complete! I’m back home and resting. Pretty tired from not sleeping well the night before, the drive and surgery itself. My plan is to update everyday for the first couple weeks and then weekly, then monthly until fully healed.

Day 1 (or is it zero?):
Everyone at the hospital was great and welcoming. Got all checked in and answered what felt like 100 questions. Got IV and wheeled off into OR. Woke up in what felt like 5 mins. Pain level was 3/10. I had this weird sensation of needing to have diarrhea but guts weren’t rumbling. I was just praying I didn’t have an accident in the bed. When10 mins went by I knew I really didn’t need to have a BM but it was pressure and trauma from everything that just happened to me. Nurse confirmed this as a normal feeling. Took 1 oxy which took the edge off the pressure feeling. Dr numbed me up pretty good which was wonderful for my 3.5 hour drive home. Now it’s 9 pm and I can feel the numbing wear off. I took another pain pill just to keep on top of it for sleep.

I should also say that I have a wad of gauze sitting between the cheeks. I have to leave it in for 24 hours. I just hope I don’t need to a BM first thing in the morning and have to rip the gauze out.

I will update tomorrow. Wish me good luck for my first night.

NWJ
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Re: My 2020 LIS and Fissurecotomy Diary

Postby flax » 28 Jan 2020, 02:57

Glad to hear your procedure went well NWJ. I imagine the next few days will take some adjusting so just remember to breath and know that every day/bm that passes you are closer to your new af free life :D

Wishing you a restful and speedy recovery.
flax
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby patience_and_healing » 28 Jan 2020, 21:25

Wishing you quick healing! It's good that your hospital experience was uneventful. Hopefully your next BM won't be too bad. If you're taking opiods, be sure to increase your stool softener dose. You may need to add something more stimulating than miralax such as senna tea, if you start to have constipation. Take care!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby North West Jen » 28 Jan 2020, 23:41

Thank you Flax and PandH!

Day 1:
What a painful day! Just so so sore and walking like a penguin. No BM today. I’ve had 3 sitz baths and it does soothe it. But I have to lay because I cannot sit quite yet. I took the gauze out at 24 hours post op during a sitz bath. I braved a look after my sitz bath and I shouldn’t have. I’m very swollen and look like I have hemorrhoids down there, which I don’t. Also, the dr scrapped out the scar tissue that developed from my fistula surgery a couple years ago. I’m actually confused by this because I didn’t know that was going to happen. I thought the Fissurecotomy was going to be for my fissure on the inside, not outside where my scaring is. Now I feel kinda depressed that I will have to heal even more than I originally thought. I just feel like crying over this. Ugh! I know this is why I'm in so much more pain then a typical LIS surgery. I think if it was just LIS it would be so much easier. Sorry for the rant. I will just have to put on my big girl panties and chug forward.
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 29 Jan 2020, 01:55

The first few days after surgery are always the hardest, emotionally and physically. If you have any questions at all about what was done and why, don't hesitate to ask the doctor. Often we suppress questions because we don't want to be a bother, but it's important to speak up. Practice all the self care you can think of during this time. Even if it means just binging shows all day, which is what I did after my very painful skin surgery in 2017. You'll surely heal from this and feel much better in a few days.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby North West Jen » 29 Jan 2020, 10:57

Thank you PandH. Your words are very encouraging.

Day 2 (am):
Woke up and had a BM first thing. It just fell out with a plop. It was not really formed but very soft. I’ve been taking 2 capfuls of miralax to compensate for the pain pills. I woke up in some pain and the BM did not make it too much worse until about 5 mins after and then the pain hit. I immediately took a couple pain pills and hoped in the bath. I will say for how much discomfort I’ve been in since the surgery I was terrified to have a BM but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. This is a good sign that LIS is what I needed.
North West Jen
Salt Bather