The steps forward one back - positive thoughts needed

Progress is so slow just wanted reassurance

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: The steps forward one back - positive thoughts needed

Postby SueMac » 31 Jan 2020, 10:05

Wow you are so disciplined but that formula clearly works well for you! I think we are all individual in what works for us to reduce or eliminate pain and finding what works can be really frustrating and time consuming. I’m glad things are looking up for you please keep us posted. I’m ok but I am now taking a drug called amitripyline to help with the pain which my gp calls neuropathic and this drug has been shown to help. If helps with sleep a lot. It also has helped with pain although not so much in last week or two. I keep pressing on and working on finding that right formula
SueMac
Fissureologist

Topics: 7

Postby mamafizz » 01 Feb 2020, 00:54

Hello, just wondering if your lingering discomfort is coming from the levator ani muscles which are tender and overworked from the fissure. ? My fissure has been healed a long while but had it for about 5 months initially,
I had botox but ever since the muscles seem to stay in hyper mode. Luckily the pain is gone it's just this residual muscle issue. Hope you are fully well soon...
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby brycesara » 02 Feb 2020, 20:56

Mamafizz, sorry about your pain. You had botox? I wrote a post about botox tonight with questions, if you have time to respond would greatly appreciate it. I'm.considering botox but unsure about a few things. Thank you, Bryce
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby mamafizz » 03 Feb 2020, 01:30

Hello, Sorry you are in pain, the good news is this... After 6 long months of fissure pain, I had Botox, there were mild Hems, I never had anything done for those they simply with time and taking Dr David Rosenfelds Supplement which heals vein health they disappeared, never to return, as well as the Fissure never returned it's been 3 years. The less I paid attention to this the faster I healed, the more you focus or mess with the area, the more it puts the nervous system on high alert and it is a highly innervated area. It will trigger lingering pain. I am not even sure how much Botox the Surgeon used, I decided to not think about it any more and the more I just did life I became pain free. I was put to sleep as an out patient and home the same day.

After all pain originates in the brain. Looking back I would not have even needed the Botox if I would have relaxed and stopped concentrating on it, although it was so painful it was worse due to constantly worrying about it.
The best cure is to keep living, there is pain in being a human! We are never going to not experience discomfort,
Anxiety and Concentrating allows chronic pain, so although Botox did help, in retrospect it would have healed either way, since our bodies are capable of healing itself. I realized that a lot of the pain was actually coming from the attached muscles of the pelvic floor levator muscles etc. The muscles contract and become tight as we worry, just as some people hold tension in their necks others hold it in there tailbone and pelvic areas and lower back.

Muscle relaxation is key. This can originate again with our stress levels.

Our thoughts and brain allow the pain to continue. Our brains are extremely powerful.. takes practice, but fear is a driving force. The worry of it never going away was the culprit, it will fade as you relax and know it is going away. I would not sit down for a year... then I decided to just sit, it hurt like crazy but the more I defied the pain, the more it faded. It's mind boggling but sometimes, you are concentrating on the pain and there are other fears actually causing it... Simply put is this, try to figure out what your actually afraid of.. once identified the anxiety will go away. The cycle will stop when you stop it. You will heal this know it and it will never return. Everything is going to be alright.!!!! Trust this and keep going.. If I can help let me know.. it is a dreadful thing to deal with. Also Dr Rosenfeld has been on National TV and can do a phone consultation and since I was in PA and he is in California, I could not travel, especially sit on a plane for hours and hours in such pain to go to an appt, but honestly I had 2 phone consults and as a result his words were so encouraging I rapidly got better. There is a post in the Dr area with his contact information if you would like to follow up. It was worth the calls for me.. Best Wishes..
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby brycesara » 04 Feb 2020, 05:21

Thank you Mamafizz. I wrote a new post the other day with questions about botox, could you rely to that post if you have time?
Thank you for your uplifting post. I hope my husband can get there to that relaxed state of mind. I'm going to look up Dr rosenfeld. We are in PA too, Spraggs PA. What part of pa are you in? I read your post to my husband. I hope he heard what you said. Thank you.
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby SueMac » 10 Feb 2020, 14:21

mamafizz - really interesting stuff. I am with you on the brain making pain continue. I've been told there is no lasting damage and my body is healthy it's just my mind fearing that pain again and perpetuating it. I'm taking medication and this is helping me to retrain my mind that there is nothing to feel pain about. It's working but slowly and I think I will need to be on this medication for a few months yet.
I also have a very patient pelvic physio who is brilliant.
SueMac
Fissureologist

Postby davminos » 13 Oct 2020, 10:11

I just read this now, eight months after these comments were posted, but they are very relevant. I fear going to the bathroom every morning, indeed dread it. I do everything possible for proper fiber in diet, stools are generally soft and doctor told me fissure was healed, but the pain will still come if I push too much. Always first bowel movement of the day is usually the culprit. So far, the pain stops when I relax and go easy when doing the morning poop and it is not every day, comes once in a while. Beginning to wonder if my anxiety/fear is contributing to this problem two or maybe three years since the original anterior fissure. The fear of it returning is so awful. Even though there was no blood, no pain after bowel movement today, I thought it best to apply nifedipine and use it for the week just in case there is potential for a fissure to return, not sure if that is a wise move or not. Any suggestions? Thank you.
davminos
Salt Bather

Postby SueMac » 14 Oct 2020, 03:12

Hi Davimos - I haven't been around for a while. I just seem to go from almost pain free to then cycling back into pain. I'm in similar boat- I work hard on getting stools right, and they generally are, but sometimes the pain comes even when I think it should not. I have been told there is nothing to see, nothing wrong now so that's why I think it is largely fear of pain that makes it arrive. I have been wondering about a breathing routine or something before an after a BM to force myself to relax. It is depressing that once healed we still can suffer.
SueMac
Fissureologist

Postby davminos » 14 Oct 2020, 17:07

Hi SueMac,
I'm sorry you continue to suffer. I agree, anxiety makes everything worse, relaxing and not pushing by better breathing should help, but so too not letting this dominate our thoughts when we are well. My problem is that my digestive systems seems to work too well, I tend to go two or three times in the morning and when I go two or three times in the late afternoon that's when I have trouble from overactivity. I eat breakfast and supper, no lunch, and eat less then my wife; she goes once or twice in the morning and that's it until the next day. That would be great. All the doctor says is everyone is different, "just try not cleaning too much down there." Problem then becomes painful if I don't. Short of it, just have to do the best we can and work at eliminating the anxiety, that never helps and fewer BMs would be good for me, too. Not sure if I should use the nifedipine with lidocaine if I don't have a fissure, but when it gets very sore from too many BMs, well, it does seem to help. I wish you the very best and hope you and yours are doing well during the Pandemic.
davminos
Salt Bather

Postby SueMac » 15 Oct 2020, 05:31

Hi there Daviminos - I sympathise - we all try to do what is best for us and it's difficult to know the "right" thing to do. Frustrating for you you have an efficient system and need to go alot! I think your doctor is right its how you are. I would caution against using those medicines when no active fissure I think you ar right to be nervous about that. What about baby cream instead in the UK sudocrem is very good but can be messy! There are others less messy I forget the brand. Can you try to eliminate foods that make you go more and experiment with that? Might not work or be easy!! I think anxiety has alot to do with the pain and our bodies guarding against pain as we've been hurt in that area before its naturally vulnerable. Keep me posted. I'm sorry I've been off line - I have felt like I've not made much progress but having said that I've been ok - nothing too severe. Just niggly remaining soreness after a BM I'd love ot get rid of. are there maybe posting regularly on this forum now? We are doing ok in the pandemic our area is low thankfully and hope it stays that way.
SueMac
Fissureologist