Anterior anal fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anterior anal fissure

Postby phir91 » 22 Jun 2020, 04:31

Hello!

I’m a 29 year old female. I have a fissure that started near on a year ago. It’s been a horrible experience! Thankfully I don’t have the spasms just feels like razor blades when I go to the loo :(

I had Botox done and excision of 2 skin tags in January which only made things worse. The skin tags got infected which meant I ended up on a load of antibiotics and got cdiff... as you can imagine this has just been awful. I have just overcome the cdiff but the fissure is very much still there and the effects of Botox have worn off. I am using GTN and coconut oil but doesn’t appear to do much. It’s pretty frustrating because before the Botox my fissure didn’t actually hurt at all because I was using laxido but whenever I stopped it would come back..

I am yet to resume Laxido as I’m giving my body a little break before using that after cdiff... I’m going to have to though.

I have a few questions if that’s ok...

1) has anyone overcome a fissure after a year without surgery?
2) does LIS work for anterior anal fissures
3) do they prescribe antibiotics during/ after LIS procedure?
4) can you swim with a fissure (worried about infection
5) do people with chronic fissures always go on to get abscesses and fistula?

Sorry for all the questions the colorectal surgeons as the hospital I see are awful - no continuity of care and don’t have time for my questions. I am thinking of going private! Thank you!

Becca
phir91

Topics: 1

Re: Anterior anal fissure

Postby chachacha » 22 Jun 2020, 09:26

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a doctor, but from my own experience, I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

1) We have a sub-forum called Anal Fissure Success Stories. You should be able to find some accounts there from those who didn't get to the surgery stage. success-stories-only-f10.html
2) Not sure, but I believe so (that should be an easy yes/no question for a surgeon though)
3) I don't believe it's the norm, but in your case, there might be a good argument for a prescription if you go the LIS route.
4) Personally, I would avoid swimming with an active fissure, but medically - who knows?
5) I would guess that most people do not go on to get abscesses and/or fistulas because of a fissure (fissures are quite common, and abscesses and fistulas are not), but again, considering your history of infection, you might be more prone to getting one or the other.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Re: Anterior anal fissure

Postby dmcff » 22 Jun 2020, 12:04

1) has anyone overcome a fissure after a year without surgery?

it depends what you mean by "overcome". It's possible to live with chronic fissures, though not terribly comfortable. I've lived with fissures for several years without surgery.
2) does LIS work for anterior anal fissures

Yes, though you might be given manometric treatment beforehand.
3) do they prescribe antibiotics during/ after LIS procedure?

Not that I know of in U.K.
4) can you swim with a fissure (worried about infection

Yes - it's a good form of exercise for fissures and can help with healing and recovery. Walking is also good.
5) do people with chronic fissures always go on to get abscesses and fistula?

No.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff