LIS Surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Surgery

Postby Stef2020 » 29 Dec 2020, 06:00

After living with an on/off fissure for 5 years, I'm booked in for surgery on the 15th Jan :verysad:
I feel i am out of options and my latest episode does not seem to have got any better so I'm going for it. My consultant managed to have a bit of a look down there and confirmed that I have such a build up of scar tissue, resulting in a small lump, that the best option would be to remove it at the same time, as its unlikely to ever heal properly with it in the way.
I hope it works!! :affraid:
Stef2020
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS Surgery

Postby Pzgre » 19 Jan 2021, 11:37

Good luck! How are you doing now?
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby missy moo » 20 Jan 2021, 15:20

I would love to hear how it went for you. After having my fissure for 7 years on an off im ready for lis too. I hope everthing went really well.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Stef2020 » 24 Jan 2021, 10:02

Hey all,

Thank you for your well wishes. I will give you a full account of my recovery so far :-) don't want to tempt fate, but so far, so good and although I can feel I still have some healing to do, I am not in pain.

I am day 9 on from surgery. I had the LIS as well as removal of the scar tissue / fissure that was causing me most issues so I was left with an open wound right on the edge of the exit. Surgeon had said he would also remove any haemorrhoids but there wasn't any significant ones so I didn't have that done.

Surprisingly wasn't in too much pain following surgery - although I had been dosed up with local anesthetic. Took some pain killers for the night and had a good sleep..

Was terrified of having to poop the next day but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I thought I was going to see a bright red toilet bowl but there was actually no blood! I did have intense burning / stinging for 1 hour - I washed off in the shower and spent the next hour in the bath which helped with the stinging. I got out and had some pain killers and was good for the rest of the day.
Day 2 was pretty much the same and then from then on the pain following a poop has decreased in time. Day 3 and 4 was about 45mins, day 5 and 6 was 20 mins, day 7 was about 10 mins and now day 8 and 9 I have only been a tiny bit sore as I poop but no after pain or stinging. Through the whole recovery I also haven't had any bleeding.

I was initially quite swollen as can be expected but again this has reduced each day. I would not say I have ever been in pain since the surgery, more discomfort and most of it seems to be a bruised feeling (maybe from where its opened during surgery!?) I am taking it very easy as I don't want any set backs.
Surgeon had said that I should be feeling almost back to normal after 3-4 weeks but I would say I am almost back to normal now.

Anyway, I don't want to be too positive because I'm not there yet but inside I'm secretly jumping for joy that I hopefully never have to experience that intense throbbing again and really I should have done this years ago! P.s. I also dont seem to have any issues with incontinence/ farting but I know this can be a side effect

Anyway, happy to answer any questions and will update again in a couple of weeks.
Stef2020
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 24 Jan 2021, 14:09

Thats great news keep the positivity up too. Did the surgeon remover your skin tag? Did he/she tell you to keep your stools super soft with softeners or just normal regular? Also if you don't mind me asking what country you are in? I'm in nz and don't know of any good surgeons i don't know anyone here whos had lis.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Pzgre » 24 Jan 2021, 14:58

That's great! Im happy to know that you are heaing so well! Please keep us updated.
When you had your fissure, did you have pain everyday?
My CRS said the risk of incontinence is greater for older women who have had several vaginal deliveries.
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Postby Stef2020 » 24 Jan 2021, 16:18

@missy moo
Yes he removed the skin tag too. I thought it would leave me in horrendous pain having an open wound but thankfully that was not the case.
Yes he said to keep everything soft. I was already taking a laxative everyday and so I have just increased it a little to ensure I don't have any set backs.
I'm in the UK. We have the NHS here so you kind of get who you're given! I'm no surgeon but from what I understand the surgery is very straight forward - mine only took 20 minutes.
What is your story? Are you suffering everyday?

@pzgre
Thank you :-)
I have had on off episodes for 5 years. It started just before I was pregnant. I was never advised to take a softener and what with being pregnant and the constipation it can bring, it just all got worse and never healed. My episodes seem to reoccur every couple of months where I would be in horrendous pain between 3 days-week and then it would slowly improve until it 'healed' and then bam, back to square one. At the 2nd half of the last year it just got so bad that I decided enough was enough! I saw a new consultant, re-tried all the creams, we decided botox might work but likely to only be temporary and therefore just decided to get on with the LIS! Are you also still a sufferer?
Stef2020
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 24 Jan 2021, 16:42

Hey so i got my fissure after the delivery of my first child 7 years ago an it comes and goes like yours use to so mine would be active for 5-10 days then go away for 2-4 wks then come back again I've since had another child and I'm due my 3rd in 4wks my fissure seems to get terribly bad after birth an stays around for like the first 6-9 months which is hell. Since having my second child i had botox twice to try fix thos fissure and it improved my life but it hasnt been a perfect fix like i still have flear ups every few months but its less pain an heals quicker i guess. Ive been on a stool softener for 7 years so not sure if having soft bms even matters since that hasn't healed my fissure either. Im really worried I'll have a hell 6+ months of fissure pain after i have this baby and of i do I'll likely book myself in for lis because its no way to live especially when your a parent and you cant be present for your kids growing up they grow so fast I'd hate to look back an think the onlu thing that got my attention was that dam fissure mean while my children grew up without their mother because i was all consumed by pain an fissure management 24/7
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Stef2020 » 24 Jan 2021, 17:04

Oh goodness, I can totally relate to what you are saying. I have also since had another child and had that same realization before I booked my surgery - that i was so miserable and missing out on their lives and when I was going through a bad period, I could never give them the attention I wanted because I was suffering in the background. I just didn't want to go on like that. It is incredibly hard looking after children with a fissure. Its strange that you also have eposides, I am sure mine were related to my menstrual cycle but the doctors always seemed to disregard that.
I know I am only 9 days in, but I would give the LIS some serious consideration. The thought of it was a lot worse than it actually was and knowing at least that I should hopefully never have to experience the throbbing pain again is good enough for me.
And congratulations for baby number 3 :-)
Stef2020
Fibre Addict

Postby Pzgre » 24 Jan 2021, 17:25

I had my 1st fissire in 2003,2nd in 2011,3rd in 2019,4th in 2020 jan and it is not healing. I have good days qnd bad days,so 50/50. But it is taking a toll on my mental health. Did a CRS do your surgery?
Also, I totally get what you guys are talking about when it comes to giving time to your children. Somedays the only thing I want to do is lay in bed.:(
Pzgre
Salt Bather