5 years later..

Fissure ongoing

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

5 years later..

Postby Stef2020 » 09 Nov 2020, 05:51

Hello fellow sufferers,

I am new to writing on this forum dispite being glued to reading it during my on and off 5 year anal fissure  :cry:

It started with a bout of constipation and regrettably pushing out a giant elephant poop which lead to the terror. I got pregnant soon after so doctors were not happy to give me medication and anyway, I assumed it would just heal as with anything else so dealt and cried my way though the whole pooping out glass and pain which followed. The pregnancy lead to further hard stools, thanks to all day morning sickness which meant I could only stomach bread! After living my first 12 weeks of pregnancy in hell, I finally saw a consultant who told me to take a stool softener (why had nobody told me this before!?) and reluctantly prescribed rectogesic. I started taking laxatives- lactulose and then onto laxido. (lactulose gave me awful tummy cramps). The cream gave me horrendous headaches so I couldn't continue use.

Fast forward 3/4 years, and another pregnancy later, I've learnt to 'manage' the fissure, although only by continuing with laxido every night (about half a sachet). At times I think its healed and then BAM, another hard stool out of the blue (seems to correlate to my menstrual cycle - does anybody else have this?). Although, it only seems to last max 4-7 days and then 'heals' up again.

I spent the first 6 months of this year virtually pain free, which was amazing since 2020 has been depressing enough. Then my periods made a return (once I stopped breastfeeding) - their timings were a bit messed up and I pretty much ended up missing a period which messed with by bowels even more (hard then too soft) and now I feel I'm back to square 1 with the throbbing, stinging, blood and just generally feeling pretty down. I had a telephone call with a new consultant who basically gave me the option of surgery.

I think in my head this had always been the plan. I would get having children out the way and then concentrate on healing myself, even if it meant the surgery (my mum had LIS a few years ago and she was healed pretty much immediately, although she does now let out the odd fart which is the risk you take - sorry mum!)

I think the sudden verdict of surgery scared me so I asked what else I could try first. He said botox is an option to think about and prescribed me diltiazem which I am to try for the next 2 months. I have been using for the last week or 2, although as I'm so sore, I am finding it hard to get up there. HOWEVER, for the last 2 days, my poo has not been super soft despite not changing anything else and im had to seriously squeeze to get it out, although it looks like a perfect poo. Could diltiazem be blocking the laxitive from working? Have I actually caused me a seriously lazy bowel through laxatives overuse :verysad:
Surprisingly, I actually seem to cope with the pain or a more formed poop better than when the poop is too soft so I know I shouldn't complain but hard poo thoughts terrify me.

I'm now determined more than ever to heal this naturally and ease myself off laxatives, especially as we are in lockdown so i don't have to feel bad about not leaving the house but I just don't know where to start now. I actually think I have 2 cuts and one is in the middle of 2 hemorrhoids. I generally eat a balanced diet with fruit, veggies and I've cut out sweets and chocs. I have 3 teas a day although this seems to get things moving. I have coconut suppositories, although I've stopped using these why I'm trying the cream. Or should I just get on with it and have the surgery!? P.s I'm 31.

Anyway sorry for the life story, really didn't mean to go on but its just feels good to get it all out :poop: even if nobody reads it! :p
Stef2020
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 5 years later..

Postby chachacha » 09 Nov 2020, 10:55

I can't help you with any of your consistency issues (I always had diarrhea), but on the Diltiazem front, I can tell you that my CRS advised that I not put it up inside, but only apply it around the exterior of the anus. Diltiazem's main purpose is to increase blood flow in the area so that the fissure can have a better chance of healing, and is not an analgesic that helps with pain. We can only each decide for ourselves when (and if) we feel the need for a surgical intervention, but I honestly wish that I had done so sooner, and saved myself a great deal of grief. Good luck and I hope that others can help you with the rest.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Stef2020 » 22 Nov 2020, 06:13

That's good to hear that you are recommended not to put it up as gives me some hope that its working! I think it is bringing me some relief so I shall persevere.
I am pleased to hear that you have recovered with the help of surgery - long may it stay that way!
Stef2020
Fibre Addict

Postby Stef2020 » 26 Jan 2021, 13:45

Hello

I just wanted to update on here that I went ahead with the LIS (and removal of scar tissue which left me with an open wound) on the 15th January and 11 days in I am on the road to recovery :-)

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have xx
Stef2020
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 26 Jan 2021, 16:05

Congrats and I hope that you continue with a great recovery. Thanks for coming back to give us an update.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby missy moo » 16 Jun 2021, 00:03

Stef2020 wrote:Hello

I just wanted to update on here that I went ahead with the LIS (and removal of scar tissue which left me with an open wound) on the 15th January and 11 days in I am on the road to recovery :-)

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have xx

Hi can you please update us on how things went from your surgery till now? I've had my fissure for nearly 8 years an it always gets worse during my pregnancies and or post baby stage, and also when my period returns between having children that actually is when the fissure flears up. Which country did you have lis? I'm so scared to have lis but i think i need something after havjng tried everything including 2 rounds of botox. Thank you for your time.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Stef2020 » 16 Jun 2021, 01:36

Hi Missy Moo

I had my surgery back in January and I have been great ever since, I would not look back. I still get scared everyday of it returning and I am still taking a laxative as a result, but so far so good. I know it doesn't work for everyone but I would seriously considering going for it - i don't wish those bad anal fissure days on anyone. I had mine in the UK xx
Stef2020
Fibre Addict