Can a fissure basically cause proctalgia or levator ani?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can a fissure basically cause proctalgia or levator ani?

Postby Kaleb91 » 28 Jan 2021, 16:15

Im just wondering if anyone happens to know if a fissure can cause proctalgia or levator. I think i have one or the other. I healed but when i had a recurrence it seems to be accompanied by some kind of new ailment. I was able to jack off and lift whatever weight i wanted without any consequences before recurrence. Now i can not do either without risking a tight squeezing feeling of the rectum which may last hours. Last time i jacked off it took an entire 6-7 days for this feeling to go away. Wtf is wrong with me ? Ive beem dealing with this phase for 6 1/2 months. Everyday to me is just a new nightmare. And to top it off no one seems to be able to help me figure this out. Feeling so lost
Kaleb91
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Can a fissure basically cause proctalgia or levator ani?

Postby Rich44 » 07 Feb 2021, 17:05

YES! I think I had the same issue. I had the fissure for months and then I started having this unbelievable tightness after I would stand up from the toilet. It hurt so bad and I could barely walk. When I would go sit down at my desk at work it was unbearable until I had my full weight on the chair and then POOF the pain and tightness went away. The problem was it started a sensation I was sitting on a golf ball - even on a soft cushion and it was depressing. The CRS couldn't figure it out. He gave me Botox for the fissure and muscle but it didn't work. Finally I left my job in 2016. The levator ani tightness/golf ball/spasm thing went away! It was STRESS FROM MY JOB! The job was literally a pain in the ass. I am not joking - it was stress. The fissure causes your sphincter to tighten and the levator muscle could be affected too. That was in 2016. I lived with the fissure until 2020 even though the pain was often excruciating. I finally had to see the CRS because I was really having to strain to go to the bathroom and I was worried. The LIS surgery cured my fissure immediately and the sphincter relaxed (though it was still tight). That being said I am basically cured of that hell and I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is to go to the bathroom pain free.

So in your case is there anything causing you stress (not including the fissure)? Try relaxation techniques like meditation. If it's your job - quit. Life is too short to suffer.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Kaleb91 » 07 Feb 2021, 20:42

Im lucky to not have a desk job. There is absolutely no way i could sit in a chair that long. How did you get diagnosed officially?
Kaleb91
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 07 Feb 2021, 23:35

Ok let me clarify. I had no choice but to sit all day at work. The pain from the spasm would release once I sat on my tailbone area (which in itself was very painful). Later I figured out how to release the spasm myself my pushing my finger hard into the muscle. It worked. The sensation of a golf ball was really annoying but I had to live with it for a good 15 months without any idea of what it was. The surgeon literally said "you are going to have to break the cycle." I said, "Break the cycle?! What does that mean?!" It was almost like Yoda telling me this. Well I did break the cycle when I left my job and started working remote for myself. It was like all the tension of the previous 20 years was gone overnight. I guess it's what people feel like when they retire. I wasn't retired, but I no longer had to commute to work, no more alarm clock and I now had unlimited vacation. I still had to make money, but at least I had FREEDOM!!! So I was never truly officially diagnosed - it kind of just happened. Once every few months I would sometimes get that spasm feeling coming on when I would have a few bowel movements on a bad day. But it was barely there and I know how to release the spasm myself. Other than that - my butt problems are... behind me. Sorry... Here's an example. Tonight was the Super Bowl and I had pizza and a lot of chips and salsa. It gave me some gas. So I was hoping to go to the bathroom and pass stool before bed to save my GF grief. I bought a squatty potty step stool but haven't really used it - especially during the fissure years because I was in agony anyway. Well even though I didn't really have to have a bowel movement - I sat on the toilet, feet on the squatty potty and a few minutes later here comes the stool. It also worked the other night. Helps align everything to make it come out easier. But of course the best part is zero pain. And I have a bidet to clean up without using hardly any paper.

So let me ask you Kaleb. Do you also have a fissure issue? Do you have to strain to have a movement? Have you seen a colorectal surgeon about this?
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Kaleb91 » 07 Feb 2021, 23:55

So how did u end up getting a sphincterotomy without any sort of diagnosis. My hell right now is getting diagnosis. I would admit myself to surgery immediately if it was an option. But cant find it with any test. I never have to strain if i had to it would cause a sharp stabbing pain usually accompanied by a couple hours of residual tighness and a sore feeling.
Id like to go see one i mighy have to pay private though ill ask my doc if he thinks it would be a good idea.
Kaleb91
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 08 Feb 2021, 14:09

I got an LIS because I was diagnosed with a chronic fissure and very, very tight sphincter. The levator ani (or whatever the spasm thing was I had) I had from 2014-2016 is long gone. I left my job and it was immediately gone - all on it's own like MAGIC.

If you don't have a fissure and all you have is what sounds to me like the muscle spasm I was getting years ago - then it's probably caused by stress and no - I don't know how you could treat or diagnose that without seeing someone that is familiar which could mean going to Mayo Clinic. However - I think I may have had what you are dealing with so let's keep talking.

Let me ask a few things:
Besides the problem itself being stressful, what else in your life is causing you stress every day?
Do you have bleeding when you go to the bathroom?
When you have this spasm/pain and it last hours, what can you do physically and more importantly what CAN'T YOU DO?
Is there anything you do once it is happening to make the pain go away or do you have to deal with it until it subsides?
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Kaleb91 » 08 Feb 2021, 14:44

What diagnositc test did they use to find the fissure? And honestly the only really stress factors i have are all caused by this. I make a wrong movement or sit in a hard chair and its gameover. So naturally i avoid doing all the things that use to make me happy. I cant just be a normal person anymore I feel as if live is really over for me. And it is over if i cant get past this.
One thing i cant seem to do is bend down to touch the floor., lifting objects over 10 lbs And jacking off last time i did it was nightmare in reality took a whole week to feel ok again. I havent jacked off since november 9th.and it seems the only thing that even has chance and helping is a hot shower but it doesnt even help everytime.
Kaleb91
Fibre Addict

Postby Kaleb91 » 08 Feb 2021, 16:04

Sorry if im being kind of vauge in the description. To describe it well isnt easy. I
Kaleb91
Fibre Addict

Postby Kaleb91 » 08 Feb 2021, 16:06

Also if i kick something or stub my toe too hard on something that causes a tighness flare up that can last 30 minutes or possibly till i wake up the next day
Kaleb91
Fibre Addict

Postby Kaleb91 » 08 Feb 2021, 16:10

Also sitz baths use to help. But then all the sudden they started doing the opposite without reason. Only possible explanation is they added something to water supply that wasnt there before. This is why i do showers now
Kaleb91
Fibre Addict