LIS Questions

Please correct/confirm my assumptions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Questions

Postby posertiermadness » 16 Jul 2021, 21:01

Fissurectomy didn't do it and the surgeon (or more likely resident pulled tail bone ligaments...about 4-6 mo before they heal). The fissure feels a bit better if I'm really careful with what I eat as well as doing yoga (carefully) to stretch out the pelvis. However, I'm pretty sure I will need LIS. So, I would really like if those in the know can speak to these assumptions:

1) LIS can relax the sphincter so that the fissure can heal, but even if it does not heal it will not go from bearable paper cut to excruciating because it can't rip it apart like it used to. Correct?

2) Initial incontinence and flatulence after LIS is pretty normal, but longterm it is not very likely. Correct?

3) LIS will make future issue less likely (I will be maintaining a healthy fibre filled diet and doing yoga, walks, etc.).

4) Anything else you'd like to tell me.

I so very much appreciate all of you and know you are some of the bravest/strongest people on the planet!
posertiermadness
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: LIS Questions

Postby kbhappy2 » 21 Jul 2021, 00:40

I cant wait to anwser some of these for ya ! LIS up next week....... :/
kbhappy2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby ken2021 » 01 Aug 2021, 08:59

How are you guys? I Am 17 days post OP and still in pain is it normal for LIS?
ken2021
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Rich44 » 01 Aug 2021, 18:29

I am a male but I will answer the best I can!

1) LIS does relax the sphincter and my 6 year old fissure MAGICALLY was gone 3 weeks later. I assumed he did something to make it heal, yet he had done nothing to the fissure itself. The pressure and tension was released by the incision and the body healed the fissure easily. That's why the LIS is 96% successful!

2) I had no such issues.

3) I had two little fissures come back in the last year. They were simple, acute fissures that I could now treat immediately (sitz baths) and were gone within a day with no issues.

4) Get a squatty potty to make bowel movements a little easier. Be patient and don't strain. Drink lots of water. Take fiber supplements daily if you need more, but don't go overboard. I have been taking 3 Citrucel pills a day which isn't much at all, but I have been fairly regular with bulky soft stools pretty much 5 days a week at the same time of day. This next advice is gross but it might save you - if you have a large movement that you cannot pass and it's literally stuck in the "exit door" there is no need to panic. Do not force it out. You will definitely get a fissure or worse. Use your index finger and dig it out to help it come out. It is not a big deal trust me. Once you do it you will be SO relieved you know you can do this in an emergency bathroom situation with no blood or pain. Just wash your hands before you pat yourself on the back after it resolves itself! You will be happy you did it. You might even brag a little...

Get the LIS and get on with your life as my CRS said. He was SO right.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby posertiermadness » 01 Aug 2021, 21:43

I am also male. I am not sure why I was listed asUnspecified. That is very good advice, including the last bit, which I heard of elsewhere, but so far I have not had to do it. I would not hesitate inserting if I must after having done pelvic physiotherapy, which I’m back doing because the CRS (or more likely the resident) who did the fissurectomy overstretched and did something to my tailbone. Things are otherwise up and down, but overall positive trajectory. However, I suspect LIS is in the near future and I will not hesitate (next time it is offered… The CRS was going to do LIS and I asked for fissurectomy instead…Doh!)
posertiermadness
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 02 Aug 2021, 23:02

ken2021 wrote:How are you guys? I Am 17 days post OP and still in pain is it normal for LIS?

I was not in pain that long. In fact, I really wasn’t in pain that much overall. When is your post op follow up?
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ken2021 » 03 Aug 2021, 10:37

Hi Rich44 my next check up will be on August 13. How long before you healed everything?
ken2021
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby posertiermadness » 03 Aug 2021, 10:59

what do I know… I have not had LIS, but here is some informed reassurance. I have read most of the research (I have a doctorate in a different area of healthcare). Remember, LIS only relaxes so it can heal, but it can still take quite a while. I think Rich44’s three week recovery may not be the norm. However, there is every reason to believe you will heal.

Of course, you should not do anything that makes it worse (Burgers and pizza, running a marathon), but you should also not avoid activity that stretches your whole body (yoga within comfort… I could not do child’s pose initially, but I can now without reopening… Moving slowly). Imagine keeping your hand constantly flexed to avoid opening a cut on your palm. Then, even a normal position will pull the cut wide open, but if your palm is normal outstretched the cells will migrate to close the wound. Keep a balance of a healthier normal AND careful. You WILL get better (I went to a dark place last summer with this, but that hopelessness does not match the expected medical outcome… I will not go back there). Maybe your healing will take longer than average, maybe you’ll wake up one morning and it’ll just be gone/closed, maybe you will need a second procedure, but this will all be a short time in comparison to the long time you will have without it.

Unfortunately, your doc is likely to simply say, “huh, well, let’s wait and see“ (which will feel like a punch to the gut because it doesn’t help). Then, come back here and we will reassure you. You WILL get better.
posertiermadness
Fibre Addict

Postby kbhappy2 » 03 Aug 2021, 14:43

HI i'm testing to see if this posts
kbhappy2
Fibre Addict

Postby kbhappy2 » 03 Aug 2021, 14:51

I am day 6 post op LIS + skin tag removal. I've had a small nightmare of a time with recovery. I am taking baths religiously , making short walks, small gentle stretching. Anything to keep myself still. I am insanely meticulous with my diet , meds and fluids. (probably because I am a nurse) I thought i would heal in about 2 weeks but now I am thinking it will be more like 6 until my flexibility all returns. Usually I am fairly active, running, hiking, biking. so a lot of this staying still is making my anxiety go thu the roof.
There was one suture in the skin tag area - the skin tag removal seems typically more painful than the LIS incision. I cant always tell exactly where my pain is coming from. I"m watching the area for s/s of infection , but at the same time looking can be tramatizing so I try and limit that fun activity. Overall I believe once swelling has subsided it will be an improved appearance and functionality. I am sensitive and will be longer to heal than the typicAL. oVER ALL ITS the pits and i'm trying to remain positive
kbhappy2
Fibre Addict