soft stools diet

My soft stools diet

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

soft stools diet

Postby UKMan » 25 Jul 2021, 18:35

My colorectal nurse said that wholemeal bread (lots of it) will help the stools be not so compacted. It works!! Try it!
My diet at the moment includes

4-6 slices of wholemeal toast a day (with vegetable spread NOT butter and I also add strawberry jam)
3 Protein Weetabix (LOTS of protein in these and fibre to!)
A 100% veggie diet. I have baked beans in in my meals at least once a day.
MEGA TIP! - Have several blueberries at the start and during your meal. I find this really helps and eating them at the start and during the meal is a game changer. Do this and you wont regret it.

My rule is if soft food goes in usually soft stools come out.

But drink lots of water. Never have an empty glass next to you and take 2 glasses for by your bed at night.

I do all this with 1.5 sachets of movikol that I take around 9pm. I rarely get hard stools.
UKMan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: soft stools diet

Postby Fissure UK » 31 Jul 2021, 07:28

Sounds like you have got thing right UKman.

For me, I start the day with a heaped tea spoon psyllium fibre. Followed by 8 or 10 prunes and about a dozen grapes. The final part of breakfast is a bowl of porridge with a heaped tea spoon of ground flax seed/(AKA Linseed).

I'm 100% with you on the water advice too.
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Bathboi » 11 Aug 2021, 11:54

Hey UK Man,

That sounds great and I'll certainly try out adding more wholemeal bread to my diet (and the protein Weetabix).

I had a great spell of soft stools with eating lots of apples, oranges, dates and oatmeal but suddenly hit a constipation wall over the last 3 days. The only thing I can think of is too much fiber ratio over total calories (as you're meant to keep it to 14g for every 1000 cals).

I'll need to be more alert to this and I'll certainly use your wholemeal bread and Weetabix trick :)
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 18 Aug 2021, 15:01

Just be careful with two much fiber if your not drinking enough water. I drink 2 - 3 lrs per day and still certain high fiber foods will sit in my gut and not move for days some fiber is ment to slow digestion an keep you fuller for longer. Here are 2 links someone may find interesting.
https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/fiber

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-arti ... n-culprits
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Bathboi » 18 Aug 2021, 17:54

Hey,

Yeah, while I was eating fiber, I was not only drinking at least 3ltrs of water per day, but also making sure I was eating insoluble an soluble fibre. I even tested eating more of one kind, then the other. All tests gave chronic constipation (all of this after 1.5 weeks of such fibre diets producing soft and easy stools. It was so strange).

After letting multiple GP's know, they were baffled. I'm now on Lactulose to help.

One thing I think it could be is gluten. I tried eating more wholemeal bread and it made it worse (stools were so now dry but sticky to the point where they could reach the water without dropping).

Due to this, I think gluten free is well worth a shot (as gluten has been linked to chronic constipation). I'll use the lax while I heal but I just need a few backup plans for when I come off it lol
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 18 Aug 2021, 18:00

Ok yeah i avoided over eating any 1 thing. And i don't eat any bread buns rolls nothing not even gluten free nothing processed it much eaier to just knock it all out. Fruit veg meat anything thats had a life whole foods but i avoid nuts an seeds hard in hard out
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Bathboi » 19 Aug 2021, 04:58

Ah, cool. At the moment my diet is made up of 3 main meals being (and these can swap around):

- Oatmeal with a bit of smooth peanut butter.

- Egg sarnie (now with 2 slices of toasted gluten free bread)

- Oxtail soup

- Tuna in olive oil with brocoli/sprouts

I'm thinking of rice as it is gluten free and also soft (if you cook it that way) but just not sure?

The above I need to test with the gluten free bread but yeah, if there are still issues, I'll need to drop bread.

Worth noting that when I developed the fissure to as chronic as it is now (about 8 weeks ago now), I didn't eat bread and was on a very high protein diet with scrambled egg for breakfast, chicken w/rice or pasta for lunch and beef with rice/pasta for dinner. I was only having the odd banana here and there (and really bad as they were never fully ripe).

Now the bananas and harder meat has been dropped and I've experimented with fruit. The rice and pasta have also been taken out and still issues (with 3 ltrs of water per day). The only thing remaining from that diet is oatmeal and eggs - but I've never had an issue with these in years I've implemented these before.

A lot of experimenting to do. Do you take any lax or is it pure diet for you now?
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 19 Aug 2021, 06:34

Pure diet plus magnesium an vit c.
I just wanted to let you know what my health worker friend said and that was that when theres a problem it could be 1 or more of these gluten dairy soy i was surprised by soy but apparently people can be sensitive to it and its in alot of gluten free breads. Alot of people who are sensitive can do rice, i think its mentioned in one of those links i posted above. Maybe i need to try eat like you a set diet each day an play around with it add thing in an tske things off of problematic. I did the low fodmap diet for 4 wks but not much of a change maybe because not only do you eliminate bad stuff but also alot of fruits an vegetables. Maybe I'll do low fodmap but not remove any fruits or vegetables. I dont know i wish there was one answer to our shared problem. By the way whats a sarnie?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Bathboi » 19 Aug 2021, 11:56

Hey,

Yeah, I just wish we could have a blood test and they could let us know all intolerances. That would be amazing!

Oh, sorry. Sarnie is a sandwich. My biggest concern on a restricted diet was not getting enough protein. An egg sandwich was great for that and I'm testing to see if the gluten free bread made any difference. Other than that, my protein comes from tuna. Kinda finding it difficult with protein at the mo tbh. Not many options.

Soy is a weird one. I did try soy based protein at one point (before my fissure) but I was kinda lucky that it tasted so rank, I never went back to it lol

Did the vit C pills and magnesium make the pain go away or is it still very painful with BM? I started my laxatives last week (Luaculose) and by the time I got to 3 BM's on Monday, I stupidly panicked and dropped the dosage to 50% (20ml) and hard chronic constipation again all of Tuesday and most of Wednesday. I need to keep it at 40ml. Kinda mad that even at 50% it's like I'm not taking any! I may need to look into the magnesium that you're taking.
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 19 Aug 2021, 15:14

Yep magnesium citrate is good Google it. Its like a natural softener plus vit c they work together well. Are you in the uk? You sound kiwi lol. I'm in NZ. Dealing with new outbreak how can we focus on our butts when we can't go see professionals or have any surgeries. I'm open to having a surgery ay. I've had my fissure for nearly 8years now I've tried everything all the creams all the diets all the laxatives an softeners I've even had botox twice. How long have you had your fissure?
missy moo
King Fissure