Hemorrhoidectomy and manual dilation

Prolapsed grade 3 hemorrhoid and anal fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hemorrhoidectomy and manual dilation

Postby So_torn » 12 Aug 2021, 02:55

Hi all,
I have been browsing the thread here for a good 2 weeks which has really helped me find some comfort that this condition is actually pretty common and there there is some light at the end of this miserable tunnel.

So I have had grade 3 prolapsed internal hemorrhoids for about 9 years. Besides from needing to manually push them back in after a BM it never really caused pain or bleeding.

2 weeks ago, they thrombosed. The swelling of the thrombosis caused the skin next to it to tear so now I have a prolapsed hemorrhoid plus an anal fissure. Hemorrhoid no longer hurts but problem is every time it prolapses, I can feel the fissure tear a little more.

It feels like I am pooping glass shards even when stool is soft and blood actually squirts out near the rim of my toilet bowl and continues to drip through my BM until the water is a dark red. The burning pain and spasms lasts the rest of the day as I writhe in bed whimpering in pain. But the spasms! OMG the spasms! I can't fart without pain (feels like glass), pass a BM or even pee properly!

I went to the E.R who did absolutely nothing except send me home with paracetamol, seen 2 GP's who also said to continue paracetamol. I am 7 weeks pregnant and no one wants to help! I reached out to a colorectal surgeon who said wait until after pregnancy but I really cannot deal with this anymore.

I saw another CRS today who has said the bleeding amount is worrisome and that my sphinctor spasms are making my sphinctor so tight it likely won't heal on its one especially with the hemorrhoid pulling at its edges. I have surgery for the hemorrhoid on Monday and anal dilation under general anesthetic.

I can't believe some of you brave souls have had fissures for years and I am calling it quits at 2 weeks! But all your stories have helped me a great deal so I thought I'd share mine too.

Thanks
Last edited by So_torn on 15 Aug 2021, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
So_torn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Hi. New here!

Postby Rich44 » 13 Aug 2021, 17:56

Ha, brave souls. I guess that's apt. I have had pain so severe I was in disbelief. When the pain would subside to a 7 or 8 it would be a RELIEF coming down from a 10! It is hard to believe I waited as long as I did. Best of luck to you.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Re: Hi. New here!

Postby So_torn » 13 Aug 2021, 20:53

I haven't had a BM for 4 days now because I'm so terrified. Pain is 10+ during a BM and about a 6/7 when not having a BM due to the non stop spasms and sudden sharp pains. It's definitely worse than child birth and c-section recovery. How a little cut down there cause so much damn pain baffles me!

I've basically been on a water and clear sports drink fast to avoid BMs haha. Can't believe your journey was 2014 until 2020! Brave soul indeed
So_torn
Fibre Addict

Re: Hemorrhoidectomy and manual dilation

Postby So_torn » 15 Aug 2021, 22:53

Just came home from my hemorrhoidectomy and manual dilation under spinal anesthesia.
Pain is at a tolerable 4/10 as opposed to 9-10/10 pre surgery.

I had my first meal in 5 days and it felt great. The pain is more of a sore burning ache at this point and it is uncomfortable to sit or lie on my back. The anal dilation got rid of the spasms and so far I'm not feeling any razorblade pains. I managed to fart a few times today for the first time in 3 days!

There was very little bleeding on the gauze they stuck to my bum. The doctor said for the first week that I need to "eat less and drink more" and take some movicol if I haven't had a bowel movement for 4 days.

All the hemorrhoidectomy stories online were horrific and scared the crap out of me. I am hoping my first BM isn't too bad. Will update again tomorrow.
So_torn
Fibre Addict

Postby So_torn » 17 Aug 2021, 04:28

Day 2 post op.
Woke up early with some throbbing pain around 5/10. This went down to 2/10 after paracetamol.
Had some Weet Bix with blueberries for breakfast and soft white fish with string beans for lunch.
I had about 4 instances where I felt the urge to pass stool but they were false alarms (anal pressure most likely due to the swelling).
I had first dreaded bowel movement at 6PM which I must admit wasn't as bad as a BM with fissure. Pain was probably 6/10 instead of the 10/10 pre op. Stool was soft from not eating meat and increasing my veggies and fruit intake.

Had a bit of blood on the toilet paper which is a big improvement from where I was pre-op where I'd actually drip and spray blood all over the toilet bowl leaving me light headed.

There was some throbbing and burning post BM, pain level 2/10 which isn't too bad at all!

Had my second BM at 8PM and pain was 9/10, probably due to it being irritated from the first BM. Man it sucked. The pain caused me to clench as a reaction. Bad choice. Pain reduced back to 2/10 after BM.

Definitely having no regrets over the surgery so far as the spasms and the 10/10 pain was unbearable pre op
So_torn
Fibre Addict

Postby So_torn » 18 Aug 2021, 06:07

Day 3 post op. Today started bad. Woke up with tummy cramps and needed to do a BM. It hurt. Stool was formed but not hard and I felt it against the fissure, although not as bad as what it was pre op.

Had a smoothie made from almond milk, oats, strawberries, avocado and blueberries for breakfast. Then had a BM immediately following, this one didn't hurt at all!

Had some rice noodle soup for lunch, and a fish stew for dinner. Sat down for both meals which felt great as I haven't been able to sit for a few weeks. It's about 9:00PM now and my tummy has been making rumbling sounds and I keep getting an urge to have a BM which would disappear as soon as I stood up. Very odd.

I feel like I will be having a third BM soon which I'm not looking forward to, as it feels swollen down there from the last BM.
So_torn
Fibre Addict

Postby So_torn » 19 Aug 2021, 04:38

Day 4. Today wasn't too bad at all. Had a BM around 3pm that wasn't painful however I have noticed a bump like an external hemorrhoid that's a little sore. I have never had external hemorrhoids before so I am hoping this bump is just swelling coming out from the inside and will subside in the following weeks.

BM was a solid but soft consistency, and there was some mild discomfort after from the bump. Other than that it's been a good day.
So_torn
Fibre Addict

Postby So_torn » 21 Aug 2021, 05:12

Day 5. Bowl movements are not painful however the lump is still there. Feels like the base of my old hemorrhoid which was removed. I am hoping it's just swelling and it will go away because it feels like a hemorrhoid!
So_torn
Fibre Addict