soft stools diet

My soft stools diet

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: soft stools diet

Postby Bathboi » 22 Aug 2021, 10:25

Had issues this morning too. I'm starting to think lactulose is just bad at more solid foods, while the others are much better with it. I'm currently looking at Magnesium Citrate 500mg capsules and Macrogol 4000 powder (the latter is pretty much as close to polyethylene glyco/Miralax as we can get in the UK). Even that is hard to get hold of on most sites. Even the well-know online pharmacies don't seem to stock it.

Macrogol 4000:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... 5DJI&psc=1

Magnesium Citrate 500mg capsules:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... 1OLE&psc=1

I'm hoping to chat to my doctor about this tomorrow to see if they can prescribe anything like these first. I'm not sure why but it could seem that UK docs tend to avoid recommending Mirilax equivalents. Any ideal why and did you have any concerning side effects?

Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 22 Aug 2021, 15:26

No side effects tell him for NZ doctors its the go to and in some cases they tell people to take it for life, if it works for them because its very safe even long term. I'm doing like i said vit c can magnesium and i take it after lunch instead of before bed its working better then ever an better then anything else.
Last edited by missy moo on 22 Aug 2021, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Bathboi » 22 Aug 2021, 16:11

Cool. Thanks so much for that. I'm looking forward to my chat with the doc. Over here right now, when you call the docs, the receptionists are told to push callers away and get them to complete requests online. It's a nightmare as my last online form had me waiting 2 weeks for a call! One good thing is that the doc on the last call did say to call back if needed (for the blood and stool tests) so I'm going to explain that and fingers crossed, get to speak to him the same day.
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby Conifer » 27 Aug 2021, 05:49

Hey there - I’ve just been reading through this thread and also in the uk. Bathboi you might want to look into laxido. As far as I can tell it’s the same as miralax and just another brand name. It’s active ingredient is macrogol which is the same as all those others. I’ve been using this for a while (plan to for life) and finding it really excellent as a softener. Was on one sachet a day but pain got bad so upped to two a day though likely don’t need as much (too scared to stop now!). You can get it quite easily from online pharmacies here
Conifer
Salt Bather

Postby Bathboi » 28 Aug 2021, 02:49

Hi Conifer,

Thanks. I'll look into that. Seems to have the same ingredients but Laxido also seems to be a lot cheaper too :)

Movicol seems to have kicked-in (took 2 days until it did, taking up to 4 sachets) but I'll just need to see if this lasts. Movicol has a lot of sodium in it, so pretty much tastes like salt water (even flavoured versions can't block out the taste). How does Laxido taste?
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby Conifer » 28 Aug 2021, 11:46

Hi there. It took a couple of days for laxido to kick in for me too. I take laxido orange which I guess is meant to be orange flavour but it tastes very much like how you describe Movicol. I think the salts help counteract dehydration or something as it pulls water in (at least that’s what I’ve read). The taste isn’t great but the alternative is worse and you can always put some diluting juice or something in to cover it up
Conifer
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 01 Oct 2021, 15:51

Hows everyone doing? I find that magnesium citrate powder mixed into water works as a stool softener but the same dose magnesium citrate chews dont work anyone find different magnesium forms working differently? Same dose same magnesium
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Conifer » 01 Oct 2021, 16:20

Hi Missy. Hope you’re keeping well? Wish I could say there was improvement here but there is not. I think I have developed a 2nd fissure which has come with a 2nd sentinel pile. Some days pain is manageable but others, like today, it’s so sore and spasms most of the day. I have read so many posts from people who have said if they could keep their bm soft they would heal and I just don’t get my situation. I really don’t have issues with this - thanks to laxido, a few dried apricots a day and 3ish litres of water I have excellent bms. Never hard always soft, slightly formed perfect and it’s so consistent. But I consistently have irritation during bm followed by immediate burning and then progressing to pain for wht used to be 5 hrs and now is most of the day. I had Botox booked for October but I’ve postponed to December as still trying to conceive and want to give it another couple tries and hope it’s successful and pregnancy settles things down. To be honest I now just want lis. Feel Botox is a lost cause given what I’ve read on here. Just get me under, get it done, move on! Like so many others on this amazing forum.

Sorry about the rant! I’m feeling sorry for myself today :(
Conifer
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 02 Oct 2021, 01:58

Thats ok we all completely understand that. I'm the same some days wish i could click my fingers and be healing from lis and healing proper healing of the fissure and just moving on gosh to much time wasted. Im the same miralax works wonders an even magnesium citrate but i still fluctuate with painful dayscand non painful days regardless of bms some times I've had flear ups from soft bms. I believe wholeheartedly that we are now dealing with nothing more then a muscle issue.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Conifer » 06 Oct 2021, 15:03

Yup I think that’s definitely the case. I often have no/minimal pain during bms but at any point from immediately afterward up to 2 hours later I get intense stinging/burning/slicing feeling that sometimes puts me in bed all day. Started getting a new really intense ache feeling that comes on in the afternoon and was panicking about an absess but no fever/chills or discharge and think it’s mind going overtime. If I could get lis tomorrow I would. Though maybe dilation might help in the meantime. All I know is living every day in some kind of pain is not living!
Conifer
Salt Bather