Fissures from constipation

Fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissures from constipation

Postby Constipatedguy13 » 11 Mar 2022, 02:01

How can I prevent them??
Constipatedguy13

Topics: 1

Re: Fissures from constipation

Postby Buttwhyyy » 18 Mar 2022, 13:16

I can only speak from personal experience but using a gentle stool softener has been helpful. Even tho I still have reoccurring issues it makes it less painful. I use 1/2 cap mirilax each day you can use more or less depending how soft it makes it. Then soaking in a hot bath with Epsom salt right after a BM if you’re able to. Otherwise taking hot baths a few times a day promotes healing.

Vitamin e oil keeps the area moisturized and helps healing as well. When it’s further up there tho….I haven’t quite found a solution.

Hope this helps
Buttwhyyy

Postby Rich44 » 10 Apr 2022, 11:48

Buttwhyyy wrote:I can only speak from personal experience but using a gentle stool softener has been helpful. Even tho I still have reoccurring issues it makes it less painful. I use 1/2 cap mirilax each day you can use more or less depending how soft it makes it. Then soaking in a hot bath with Epsom salt right after a BM if you’re able to. Otherwise taking hot baths a few times a day promotes healing.

Vitamin e oil keeps the area moisturized and helps healing as well. When it’s further up there tho….I haven’t quite found a solution.

Hope this helps
Let me ask you this: Did you ever stop and consider that what you are doing is prolonging your problem? Also, what is your long-term plan?
It seems that the people who are dealing with a fissure for years (like I had) only can give advice on existing with a chronic fissure - not curing it. Stool softeners, laxatives and Botox are temporary band-aid solutions to a problem that will not go away. Until someone who doesn't do an LIS can give us a definitely 100% success story, I'm not buying it. Stool softeners and laxatives help you win your tiny little battle today but you will still lose the war. You want large, bulky stools every time.

If someone suffers from constipation then I would ask them if they are doing the following:
1 - Eating enough fiber every single day?
2 - Drinking plenty of water while ditching caffeine (plus making sure they get enough sodium - keep those electrolytes balanced)?
3 - Being physically active? Healthy weight?
4 - Not smoking?
5 - Been diagnosed with IBS-C? If so, then they should discuss this with a colorectal surgeon. Talking to a gastroenterologist is a waste of time if you also have a fissure problem. They don't deal with that area and they do not do surgeries. Obviously you want to move your bowels, but if your stools are too loose from super soft stools, plus add on your mental anxiety from the pain and your sphincter will likely tighten up and your chronic fissure problem will only get worse and become permanent.

Bottom line if you have a serious constipation issue, see the professional first.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JaimeDeschain » 13 Apr 2022, 05:03

Rich44 wrote:
Buttwhyyy wrote:I can only speak from personal experience but using a gentle stool softener has been helpful. Even tho I still have reoccurring issues it makes it less painful. I use 1/2 cap mirilax each day you can use more or less depending how soft it makes it. Then soaking in a hot bath with Epsom salt right after a BM if you’re able to. Otherwise taking hot baths a few times a day promotes healing.

Hope this helps
Let me ask you this: Did you ever stop and consider that what you are doing is prolonging your problem? Also, what is your long-term plan?
It seems that the people who are dealing with a fissure for years (like I had) only can give advice on existing with a chronic fissure - not curing it. Stool softeners, laxatives and Botox are temporary band-aid solutions to a problem that will not go away. Until someone who doesn't do an LIS can give us a definitely 100% success story, I'm not buying it. Stool softeners and laxatives help you win your tiny little battle today but you will still lose the war. You want large, bulky stools every time.

If someone suffers from constipation then I would ask them if they are doing the following:
2 - Drinking plenty of water while ditching caffeine (plus making sure they get enough sodium - keep those electrolytes balanced)?
4 - Not smoking?
5 - Been diagnosed with IBS-C? If so, then they should discuss this with a colorectal surgeon. Talking to a gastroenterologist is a waste of time if you also have a fissure problem. They don't deal with that area and they do not do surgeries. Obviously you want to move your bowels, but if your stools are too loose from super soft stools, plus add on your mental anxiety from the pain and your sphincter will likely tighten up and your chronic fissure problem will only get worse and become permanent.

Bottom line if you have a serious constipation issue, see the professional first.

Definitely not prolonging the problem. I have had LIS and Botox twice, tried everything else and Movicol is by far the most effective treatmemt so far.

Instead of shooting down other peoples advice, do you have any yourself? If not, I would suggest not posting. :thanx:
JaimeDeschain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby Rich44 » 13 Apr 2022, 10:57

JaimeDeschain wrote:
Rich44 wrote:

Hope this helps

4 - Not smoking?

Definitely not prolonging the problem. I have had LIS and Botox twice, tried everything else and Movicol is by far the most effective treatmemt so far.

Instead of shooting down other peoples advice, do you have any yourself? If not, I would suggest not posting. :thanx:
If you don't like my post which I felt was very helpful, I too would suggest not posting.

What does this say?: "Obviously you want to move your bowels, but if your stools are too loose from super soft stools, plus add on your mental anxiety from the pain and your sphincter will likely tighten up and your chronic fissure problem will only get worse and become permanent." Is this not good advice? Did you miss this?

Yeah, I am giving what I feel is a better choice. Someone who never had an LIS and has no end game for treating their chronic fissure and is telling people to live with it based on their band-aid approach isn't the best idea. I also said if you have a serious constipation issue see a professional.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sisyphus » 03 May 2022, 05:36

Constipatedguy13 wrote:How can I prevent them??

Try carnivore diet, walking a lot and calisthenic training. If you suffer from constipation it is because you are not eating the right things for your body and/or you are not doing enough/good physical activity to help your body to function well.
Everything else will only serve for temporary relief (or perhaps just as a placebo), but it will never permanently eliminate the causes of your problem.
Sisyphus
Fibre Addict