New to AF

First fissure. Need advice on everything

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to AF

Postby Alisss » 01 Jun 2022, 10:40

Hello fellow af fighters!
I'm new to this forum and the diagnosis. I'm a 27 year old female.
I've had this fissure for about 3 weeks now. The last week has been the worse. It's gone to the point where I thought I have to call the ER because of the pain. It all started from overeating and not being able to go to the bathroom as usual as I was on the move for couple of days. It led to bloating and constipation for couple of days till it went back to normal. Cause usually I can have up to 5 bm per day if I'm at home. And usually they are easy to pass. Maybe too runny but never thought of anything wrong about it.
Anyway after getting back to my normal bm routine, I started feeling a bit weird down there. I thought I had hemorrhoids. My GP prescribed me some ointments and supostories for it which didn't work. Obviously cause that wasn't the case. So I went to the surgeon last week cause I couldn't take it anymore. Already when I started to tell him my symptoms which were unbearable pain while bm that lasted for 6-8 hours after that. He already knew it was a fissure. But still wanted to have a look at me. So he didn't see anything from the outside and had to insert his finger and touch around in there which was ever so painful, I think I'll have a trauma now. He said my spinchter is soo tight he almost lost his finger. Lol.
He prescribed me Rectogesic to relax the spinchter and some Instillagel as anesthetic. And he said that the main goal is to relax the spinchter and then the fissure will heal.
Anyway it's been a week since the wisit. And it's been the worst. I've been afraid to eat because I don't want to have a bm. Which has led me to almost passing out a couple of times because of the lack of food. And even though my bms are very runny and watery they still cause a lot of pain. Even just as I start to feel the urge to go. Today I finally had some otmeal for breakfast and couple of biscuits. A lot of water. But still have the fear of tomorrow morning. Cause I don't what effect it will have on my bm and how painful it will be. I'm really paranoid of mornings at this point. I don't even want to to to bed at night because I know I'll have an agonising morning followed up by hours full of pain. When the only thing I can do is lay on my back, cry and moan. Until the afternoon when it gradually goes down.
What I started to do yesterday was self massaging my spinchter with my finger. Even though the bm was painful as usual today (I have bite marks on my hand), today was relatively good. Maybe the massage does play a key role. Yesterday I was very pessimistic about this, cried most of the day. But today when I feel better, I think I will heal eventually. Will see what my ass will do tomorrow though.
Overall what I do is, take warm baths a couple of times a day. Which I can't do right after bm because the pain is so bad I have to lay down. Ibuprofen does nothing for me. I'll gradually try to eat more than the last days cause my doc said I have to eat because the spinchter has to do it's work. I do self massage 2x for 10min a day. And use Rectogesic 2x a day. It has not given me any relief so far. Maybe it has to take some time to kick in. I hope so. Cause I want to avoid Botox and LIS at all costs.

Anyway maybe someone has some experience of good pain killers, Rectogesic and and a good advice how to get through this mentally as it has taken a toll on me and I just want my life back.
Alisss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New to AF

Postby patience_and_healing » 03 Jun 2022, 07:01

Hi there, I would suggest you ask your doctor for a non constipating painkiller that will help more than ibuprofen. You could take the painkiller before a BM. Also try applying the rectogesic about half an hour before you use the bathroom. If you find it's not helping much, ask for a nifedipine prescription.

As for Botox, it's honestly not a difficult procedure at all, and is fully reversible. I understand not wanting to get surgery though, that's a scary route.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Alisss » 03 Jun 2022, 08:10

Hello.
Thanks for the answer.
I would loke to know if you have an experience with Recto and how effective it is? Because I've been using it for a week now but it doesn't seem to work so far. And I want to know if I should give it some more time or switch to Nifedipine instead. Thanks.
Alisss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby patience_and_healing » 03 Jun 2022, 16:56

Rectogesic caused too much burning for me. I was given nifedipine as an alternative and found it much more tolerable. I don't remember if the rectogesic helped with reducing muscle tension.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40