Recently Had Surgery

Sleeping Post-Surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Recently Had Surgery

Postby drosenthal82 » 14 Jun 2022, 20:02

Hi All,

My name is Dan and I am new to this board. I'm happy to have found you guys! I underwent a fissurectomy with Botox injection on June 8th. One of my biggest problems is that, for many, many, many hours after I have a bowel movement, lying down adds to my pain down there. If I do manage to fall asleep, the pain quickly wakes me up. I've had many sleepless, or poor sleeping nights in the past week because of this. My doctor suggested I take Percocet before going to sleep. I tried this, and it bought me about 90 minutes of relief before the pain returned (Percocet doesn't last long!). I also bought Recticare Lidocaine 5% cream today, which was recommended by the same doctor. I applied it earlier this evening and I'm not terribly impressed, so I don't see it making much difference. I'm not sure what to do, because I have to be able to sleep. Any ideas?

-- Dan
drosenthal82

Topics: 1

Re: Recently Had Surgery

Postby patience_and_healing » 15 Jun 2022, 15:35

It sounds like lying down is putting pressure on the wound area. Have you tried sleeping on your stomach with the support of pillows? It might also help to do a warm soak before sleeping to loosen any muscle tension. Also maybe some deep breathing.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby drosenthal82 » 15 Jun 2022, 20:25

Thank you, patience_and_healing. I have another concern as well. I've been doing a lot of reading about fissures and surgical solutions. In multiple places, I have read that lateral internal sphincterotomy is the "gold standard" of fissure repair. I underwent a fissurectomy with botox injection. It seems the upside to this is it spares any cutting of the sphincter. I trusted that my colorectal surgeon was selecting the best procedure for me, but did I go to the wrong party, so to speak? I would hate for this to not work and then be back to square one!

-- Dan
drosenthal82

Topics: 1

Postby Worstyear » 16 Jun 2022, 08:08

Hi! I had lis, fissurrectomy and piles removal a week ago. I don't know if you can talk to the doctor about medication but I had to spend 5 days using ketorolac 20 or 10 each 6 h and tylenol 1g combined because I couldn't handle the pain either.
3 h apart from each other, that enabled to keep me painless.
Try to stay in one side too, and so the sitz, they really help.
About lis: you had botox which it is a temporary replacement for lis. If it fails, don't worry, talk to your crs and evaluate if you can get one. Is quite less painful than the fissurectomy so you will be fine. I hope you recovery soon!
Worstyear
Salt Bather

Topics: 5