Post-LIS - 3 BMs a day

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post-LIS - 3 BMs a day

Postby QQ_QQ » 22 Oct 2022, 18:54

Had my LIS surgery on Thursday.

Overall I think it went well since before surgery I'd be in agonizing pain for about 10 hours every day after a BM. Now I feel the pain is only at the surgery site.

Apparently I also had an abscess not just a fissure when they took a look before surgery one last time so they got rid of that as well. Was sent home with some antibiotics.

My question is, since the surgery I've been having 3 bowel movements a day. It hasn't been bad but I can't imagine it's good for the incision site and healing. I'm going to try to change my diet tomorrow (even though this current diet was working to only have one BM pre-LIS) to see if that affects my number of BMs but I'm also wondering if people had success with a water fast after LIS surgery to avoid BMs to speed up healing of surgical site. Is this a bad idea?

Any tips would really be helpful. I just want to put all this fissure hell behind me as quick as possible.

Thanks
QQ_QQ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Post-LIS - 3 BMs a day

Postby Worstyear » 22 Oct 2022, 18:58

I understand your concern but I don't think fasting is a great idea after you had a surgery. You need proteins and other nutrients to generate tissue.
I believe the 3 bms could be caused by antibiotics. I would try with some probiotics to see if that helps.
I wish you a very speedy recovery!
Worstyear
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby QQ_QQ » 22 Oct 2022, 19:07

That's what I figured in regards to the fasting. Kind of just needed someone to talk me out of it and you did. I'll try with some probiotics tomorrow with the new diet and see how that works out. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
QQ_QQ
Fibre Addict

Postby pappupager » 22 Oct 2022, 23:15

I also had the LIS surgery on Thursday. I had 4 BM today. I am also looking for a way to have only one BM in a day. I want to have the empty feeling in one BM which I have not had it for long time. After every BM I still not have empty feeling (Before and after LIS). That makes me uncomfortable. I did not take any pain medicine except first day since the pain is very much bearable. CRS suggested me to take Metamucil or benefiber 3 times a day. But I have not taken it instead I am taking Miralax. Not sure if I am doing right. I will probability buy Metamucil tomorrow.
pappupager
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby QQ_QQ » 22 Oct 2022, 23:25

Metamucil should help if you're not getting your daily intake of fiber. Miralax will keep your stool softer. At least that was how it was for me and my experience.

Tomorrow I'm trying the following diet and we'll see if it works (I'll update at night based on how things turn out):
(11AM) - Brown toast and smoked salmon
Antibiotics with the sandwich
(3PM) - Same as breakfast (without the antibiotics)
(4PM) - Cucumbers, 2 Oatmeal cookies, Lactose free yogurt
(5:30PM) - Whole wheat pasta with shrimp
(6PM) - Pear
(10PM) - Tea with Restoralax
(11PM) - 2 Eggs and Antibiotics

With 3 liters of water consistently throughout the day.
QQ_QQ
Fibre Addict

Postby pappupager » 22 Oct 2022, 23:31

CRS did not recommend any medicine or antibiotic for me except the pain medicine and metamucil. Painwise I am doing ok (3 out of 10) which is from incision site. I have not had fissure pain so far, which was horrible before the LIS. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy and uneventful recovery. Wish you also do a great recovery. AF is the worst pain I have ever faced in my life.
pappupager
Fibre Addict

Postby QQ_QQ » 22 Oct 2022, 23:36

Antibiotics for me were because of an abscess that was there that they got rid of. I have a feeling that's partly why I'm having abnormal BMs.

Fissure is definitely the worst pain I've ever experienced. Dealt with it on and off for about 7 years but the past 6 months it just wouldn't go away and pain was even worse which is why I decided to do the surgery.

Pain on my end is about the same as well. Though I get a sharp shooting pain every now and then that's really bad (got it as I was typing this message). But like you, the fissure pain seems to have gone away. Mostly just the surgical pain. Still getting a little bit of blood after every BM which is why I'm trying to keep my BMs to once a day to allow it to heal better.

Wish you a speedy recovery too. We're in this together and hopefully it'll just be a horrible nightmare we can put behind us later and forget about it.
QQ_QQ
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 04 Nov 2022, 12:30

Last edited by Rich44 on 04 Nov 2022, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby pappupager » 04 Nov 2022, 20:00

hey buddy how are you doing now? Today its 15 days after the LIS surgery. I have not faced any fissure pain after the surgery. Pain from incision also very minimal however incision site has not healed yet. BM's are painless right from day 1, however I am having slight leakage 3-4 times a day. Not sure if its coming from inside or from incision site. Since I stay at home therefore I am able to manage it. Hopefully leakage will improve in future. I would any day accept my current condition over fissure spasm pain. Fissure spasm pain is one of the worst pain you can face. I would highly recommend getting LIS if you have chronic fissure.
pappupager
Fibre Addict

Postby QQ_QQ » 04 Nov 2022, 20:06

Hey man,

Pain has been drastically reduced. I'm feeling a little down though because the last 2 days there was a streak of blood on the stool which brought me back to the thought of the fissure. Have you had that blood on the stool? I was feeling confident and started eating more recently so that might be the cause of it. I'm reducing the amount of food I'm consuming starting today again to see if it has any impact.

No leakage here other than when passing gas I sometimes just have to wipe slightly. But nothing to be concerned about.

I can't really sit down just yet because I feel like after 5 minutes of sitting there's pain from the incision site. Do you also have that sitting pain? It's the same thing if I stand in the same spot for 5 - 10 minutes as well. Again, I imagine that's from the surgical site and that would go down over time.

At this time, my biggest concern is that blood. But pain has definitely been nothing in comparison to the fissure. Here's to full healing for the both of us and anyone else that's unfortunate enough to be in this forum as well.
QQ_QQ
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?