Finally taking action after so much pain and depression

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Finally taking action after so much pain and depression

Postby Upbeatpete » 28 Oct 2022, 11:51

For about 10 years now, I have had to deal with fissures and hemorrhoids. I am not sure how it started but I think the first time i saw blood on my stool was back in 2012 when i had a surgery on my leg and was prescribed some powerful antibiotics. Anyway this condition has really caused me much pain and has really affected my confidence.

I have decided i can no longer live with this, I need to take control of my life and I am desperate to find a permanent solution or at least a procedure that can stop the fissures as the bleeding is really a problem and has really messed up my confidence.

I have read about different procedures but I really don't want anything surgical right now, I would much rather try the botox as that seems to be the smaller step towards healing, however I figured it would be best to ask those who have undergone the procedure just how effective it is in helping fissures heal? Also are there any complications associated with the procedure?

I would be meeting my doctor on Monday and so far he has suggested more fiber, celery, water, sitz bath and all that stuff but the problem is with the "stop and start" pattern of the fissure, so right now I am desperate for a solution to return some normalcy to my life.
My plan is to do the botox procedure and then combine that with some more healthy lifestyle changes (I'm thinking of going vegan if that would help) but first I need to know if the botox procedure is effective.

So, those who have had the botox done, what was the result like?
Upbeatpete
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Finally taking action after so much pain and depression

Postby Upbeatpete » 29 Oct 2022, 00:51

Let's talk about it. Share your experiences on the botox procedure. Was it effective in helping heal your anal fissure? Was there any complications or side effects? I am open to any advice
Upbeatpete
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 31 Oct 2022, 20:41

I had Botox in 2015 but it didn't work. I had another spasm issue that seemed to complicate things. When I went back to another CRS in 2020 he said the Botox would work for about 9 months and then it was likely I'd be back to where I was so we went with the LIS. It's been two years with no issues for me. So I vote no Botox, yes LIS. Let's see what others who have had PERMANENT success with Botox have to say.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Upbeatpete » 02 Nov 2022, 06:16

Rich44 wrote:I had Botox in 2015 but it didn't work. I had another spasm issue that seemed to complicate things. When I went back to another CRS in 2020 he said the Botox would work for about 9 months and then it was likely I'd be back to where I was so we went with the LIS. It's been two years with no issues for me. So I vote no Botox, yes LIS. Let's see what others who have had PERMANENT success with Botox have to say.

Hi rich44
Thanks a lot for replying, really appreciate your story. I am also considering LIS but I am scared of the stories of fecal Incontinence. Did you experience this after your surgery? Also how many weeks or months where you out for before returning to your regular daily activities?
Upbeatpete
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 02 Nov 2022, 10:32

Upbeatpete wrote:
Rich44 wrote:I had Botox in 2015 but it didn't work. I had another spasm issue that seemed to complicate things. When I went back to another CRS in 2020 he said the Botox would work for about 9 months and then it was likely I'd be back to where I was so we went with the LIS. It's been two years with no issues for me. So I vote no Botox, yes LIS. Let's see what others who have had PERMANENT success with Botox have to say.

Hi rich44
Thanks a lot for replying, really appreciate your story. I am also considering LIS but I am scared of the stories of fecal Incontinence. Did you experience this after your surgery? Also how many weeks or months where you out for before returning to your regular daily activities?
Smart move in sending me a PM. Since I am not on here all the time it could be weeks before seeing someone posting a question to me but when you send a PM I get an email about it so here I am. In fact I only come on this board to offer advice. Almost everyone who has healed are long gone. But I like helping people.

On to your questions:
1: Fecal incontinence. I have had absolutely zero issues since the surgery. Remember this surgery is around 95% successful. You cannot do much better. I have had nothing but normal BMs for two years since I had the LIS. My CRS told me to get on with my life and have the LIS and he was SO right. 6 years was long enough!

2: I returned to normal activity in about 10 days. I refused all pain meds they wanted to give me post-surgery. I knew the surgical pain could never be worse than the fissure (and it wasn't).

I have good news for you. I had an anal manometry test that indicated whether I could tolerate the incision from the LIS. I was so strong I broke the machine! My CRS said I could crack a walnut with my sphincter! So ask about getting that test to see if you can tolerate the LIS. If you can (and likely you will), you're all set. It will make moving forward SO easy.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Upbeatpete » 08 Nov 2022, 02:19

Rich44 wrote:
Upbeatpete wrote:

Hi rich44
Smart move in sending me a PM. Since I am not on here all the time it could be weeks before seeing someone posting a question to me but when you send a PM I get an email about it so here I am. In fact I only come on this board to offer advice. Almost everyone who has healed are long gone. But I like helping people.

On to your questions:
1: Fecal incontinence. I have had absolutely zero issues since the surgery. Remember this surgery is around 95% successful. You cannot do much better. I have had nothing but normal BMs for two years since I had the LIS. My CRS told me to get on with my life and have the LIS and he was SO right. 6 years was long enough!

2: I returned to normal activity in about 10 days. I refused all pain meds they wanted to give me post-surgery. I knew the surgical pain could never be worse than the fissure (and it wasn't).

I have good news for you. I had an anal manometry test that indicated whether I could tolerate the incision from the LIS. I was so strong I broke the machine! My CRS said I could crack a walnut with my sphincter! So ask about getting that test to see if you can tolerate the LIS. If you can (and likely you will), you're all set. It will make moving forward SO easy.

Thanks a lot for the information, would definitely follow through on this. I just sent you a reply btw
Upbeatpete
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 10 Nov 2022, 19:16

I didn't see a reply Pete. Just a thank you.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Upbeatpete » 11 Nov 2022, 05:16

Rich44 wrote:I didn't see a reply Pete. Just a thank you.

Check your email, sent it there.
Upbeatpete
Fibre Addict