Diltiazem stopped working

Need some advice :)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Diltiazem stopped working

Postby rachels35 » 15 Mar 2023, 14:56

Hi, I’m needing some advice! I’ve had my AF for about 2.5 years - it developed after I had my first baby. It took about 6 months before it was correctly diagnosed, and by that time it had become chronic. I’ve managed it with diltiazem for the past 2 years (and even had another baby during that time - went just fine). But for the past 4 months, the diltiazem has just not been working anymore!! It takes the edge off the pain & maybe begins to heal it, but then it just tears again so easily. I used to only use the diltiazem for 2 weeks every other month or so, but now I’m using it every single day & still in pain. My fissure never bleeds, just causes pain.

I take miralax daily & watch my diet, so my stool stays pretty soft. But that doesn’t seem to matter. Sometimes it seems to tear when I’m not even in the process of pooping.

I had been using a diltiazem/hydrocortisone combo (now on just diltiazem) - so I wonder if I could have overdone the hydrocortisone & weakened my tissues (my GI says that can happen)?

I don’t think I’m ready for surgery yet - my GI has recommended I wait for surgery until I’m done having kids (and I’m hoping to have a couple more). So any tips?? Has anyone else experienced this? What else can I try? Are there other creams besides diltiazem? More natural methods of healing that have worked? Is it possible that I just need to keep using diltiazem straight for a few more months & I can get back to a more solid situation? Is botox a good option…?

I’m meeting with my GI again in a few weeks, hopefully I will learn some things there. But would love some help from you guys too.

So thankful for this community & a place where I can talk about my pain in the butt. <3
rachels35

Topics: 1

Re: Diltiazem stopped working

Postby dmcff » 15 Mar 2023, 15:36

Unfortunately, creams and ointments don't have the best reputation as a treatment for anal fissure. Also, you need to see a colorectal surgeon (CRS), not a gastroenterologist (GI). A CRS may recommend Botox treatment, or a lateral internal sphincterotomy (LIS), but each case is different, and there is no universal cure that will work for everyone. We can't give you medical advice here, but welcome to the forum, and please keep us posted on your progress.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52