Surgery on Monday! Any tips?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery on Monday! Any tips?

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007, 16:00

I'm all set for my LIS on monday. The hospital just called to go over medical history, allergies, etc....
I'm feeling good about it and not very nervous- i'm just looking forward to stopping the fissure cycle I have been on for over a year.
Any recovery or surgery prep tips from the veterans?
I will write an update after the surgery!
Thanks for all your support,
Suzy

Re: Surgery on Monday! Any tips?

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007, 16:08

I haven't had the surgery so I can't be of too much help here. But I will be thinking of you and anxious to hear how everything goes!
Good Luck, Suzy!!!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Apr 2007, 16:33

My primary tip to begin with is to make sure you do whatever possible to avoid being constipated right after the surgery. Drink plenty of water + fiber and avoid the painkillers if you can. Now is not the time to fall off the diet! That can wait a month or so.
Most people have a pretty easy first BM, but it gets hairy if you get constipated.
Avoid all stress the first 5 days or so and just relax.
Be sure you have a good line to your CRS's office!
Try to use OTC pain meds that don't constipate if possible.
And relax, I have found, myself included, the actual hospital/surgery part is not bad at all.
Keep us posted as you progress!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007, 16:35

Good Luck and God Bless Suzy!!
I will be praying for you and that all goes well- I am sure it will!
WA

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007, 19:30

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the support
Kim, my dr said to not eat much for a day following surgery and to eat light for a few days---i plan to eat lots of fruit to keep things moving after the first day and also to take metamucil and stool softeners. What do you think about eating light/ not eating anything much the first day? they told me to have broth, yogurt and jello for a day after the surgery. My only concern is all that is all non-fiber stuff (and for that reason i don't usually eat it). I'm super good on fiber but don't want to over- fiber load the first few days. I wasn't able to get a clear answer on this-- specifically should I eat plenty of fiber or be careful of it the first few days?
thanks!

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2007, 10:14

Yeah good luck!!!! I had mine on the 19th! Doing pretty good but I did something wrong to get soooo constipated! The worst part for me was I felt weird about being naked-all men in the operating room. They did roll me over and was face down! But I woke up the other way! Using spinal was good though.

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 07:08

Hey Suzy,
I did think of something I wanted to recommend. I haven't had this surgery as you know but I did have hemorrhoid surgery (which started the AF) and I wanted to suggest a supplement to you that helps to boost the immune system and prevent infections. It is olive leaf extract. It comes from the Olive tree but the leaves are used to make the extract. For some reason they don't give antibiotics after surgery prophalactically-they only give if you actually develop an active infection so this can help you not to get an infection.
Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. Stock up on what you will need this week-wipes, fiber, stool softners, epsom salts, books, dvds, advil, etc.
God Bless and let us know how you are doing!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 16:44

Thanks for all your encouragement! I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Lecia, thank you for the extra ideas. I am all stocked up on wipes, fiber supp., softeners, epsom salts, fiber foods...picked them up last week.
Will update tomorrow after surgery!!
Suzy

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 Apr 2007, 17:02

Wow, another anal fissure about to become history!
Hooray, for you, Suzy! I'll certainly have you in my thoughts tonight and tomorrow!
Kim
Deleted User 5