New here!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here!

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2008, 13:53

Wow! A support group! AWESOME!!! Image
So, I have been dealing with, and by dealing with I mean dubbling over with agonizing knife-like pain, for quite some time now. As a kid I always had issues with hard and large BM's - lots and lots of straining. Then, while I was pregnant and especially after giving birth - along came the hemroids! Woo hooo! LOVELY! Then, about a year ago I started experiencing the PAIN. Every bowel movement meant knife-like pain. Pain, which I am sure you all know and can understand. Anyway, I finally saw a doctor last week (my problem has been really bad for the past 4 -5 months) and he prescribed lidocaine (sp?). That is fine and dandy, but he didnt prescribe or suggest anything to make the fissure heal. I don't just want the pain to go away after a BM - I want the dang thing gone! LOL! Anyway, and I know this is bad, but because it is so painful, I tend to put off going to the bathroom. Bad - I KNOW. I have NEVER been regular, and hardly ever go once a day - my norm is every 2 days or so. I hate it. Well, now since the pain how worsened, I am finding it really really hard to go into that bathroom and infliict pain upon myself. I am not really sure what I am hoping to accomplish here, it just helps to be able to talk to "someone" about this...since of course it isn't the most glorious subject. Anyway, I have reached wits end. I am willing to do anything. It has begun to really effect me - my moods, my actvity, my social life - all of which in turn effect my family. So guys...what do I do? Cut the dairy? Buy-out the store's supply of stool softeners? Replace all beverages with vegetable oil??? I am open to anything....ANYTHING!
Thanks for "listening". It felt good just to be open like that! Looking forward to chatting and swapping whatever info may be of help!

Re: New here!

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2008, 14:26

Hello Bum Beauty :belle:
Welcome to our forum! Sorry to hear you are suffering from these maladies. I have had hemorrhoids and AF so understand what you are going through.
There is a lot of info on the site about things to do to help. I would definitely do everything you can to keep your stool soft either with docusate sodium, milk of magnesia or miralax. Fiber is important too. All Bran buds keep me humming along each morning. Also fish oil or flax seed oil can help lubricate the tissue so it falls out.
I would suggest you go to a colo-rectal surgeon who know about creams such as nitro, diltiazem or nifidepine which work to relax the sp hincter so that the muscle can heal. That is typically the first intervention. I used diltiazem for 4 months and took lots of baths to keep the area relaxed and healed from it.
Hope you can find some useful information here. You may have to go back a few pages but there is some great info here to get you started.
Sorry you are having such pain. I dreaded going to the bathroom too. I would have my pain pills on standby and a bath drawn ready to get it. My doctor said I could take 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for pain.
Hang in there and let us know what questions you have! Image
Lecia

Postby val » 03 Sep 2008, 14:49

Hi Bum Beauty,

Image . Sorry you're suffering. As you probably know, its not a good idea to put off going to the bathroom as it will be harder to pass when you do eventually go. The lidocaine is to numb the pain, but it wont actually help it heal. Normal doctors dont seem to have much of a clue when it comes to fissures (unless you're very lucky to have a clever doctor!) so, as Lecia says, its better to find a CRS or at least get a prescription for one of the healing creams from your GP.
Are you drinking enough? That will help to keep things soft which is your main goal right now.
I know how horrible this is, but things will get better!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2008, 14:59

Dear Bum Beauty
Welcome to this forum Image
I am sorry you are suffering like so many of us here.....
Establishing a good toilet routine really is key, the longer you withhold your BM the more the chances are that the stool will be more difficult to pass, keeping the BMs soft with a softener would absolutely be a good start, the lidocaine will help with the pain but as you say is doing nothing to heal your fissure, the creams Lecia has suggested would ideally be the next step for you, they work by increasing blood flow to that area, therefore loosening the area up some which allows the fissure to heal !
I personally would say cut out dairy also red meat ! load up on fruits ,veggies, smoothies, soups which will help in getting fluid levels up too , avoid heavy stodgy processed foods !
There is world of information here, the search function at the top is great for researching Image
Goodluck
Last edited by Guest on 03 Sep 2008, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Jo » 03 Sep 2008, 15:00

Welcome!
Sorry you have this pain but you found a great support group!
I have dealt with constipation most of my life too. Some fiber and almost daily dose of miralax has really helped me get the bm's more regular and moving. You really need to soften the bm's to help heal, at least for me. You also need to find a Dr. who specializes. He may want you to try one of the ointments to help relax the area and let you heal.
Lidocaine didn't help me much.
Take care,
Jo Image
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby cherylk » 03 Sep 2008, 17:09

Welcome!
You've got to get your digestive system working and not postpone BM's. I'll second what Lecia and Jo said. I use Miralax and many others do also. It will get you to have softer stools and be more regular. Your butt won't heal until you get your digestive system working correctly. I know because I have had constipation issues for much of my life. Good luck and feel free to ask us any questions. We all deal with some of the same issues and this is a comfortable forum to discuss topics and learn a lot.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 04 Sep 2008, 03:37

:hi: you have found Fissure Heaven (a contradiction - I know...). This is a wonderful place were we can discuss our taboo butt problems :) As you see already, so many people who are willing to help you and give advice.
I am quite new here myself, and I am so happy I started to use this forum. As the others say, you just have to ask questions and read old threads...
You are so right, having a fissure affects your life in so many ways, all of them negative! The only positive thing for me has been joining this forum and meeting these Image people here!
Image Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Sep 2008, 06:15

Hi BB and Image!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you do like I did and call your GP and request nefedipine or diltiazem cream, compounded at 2%. You may have to explain to the doctor how it is used, many if not most GPs are unfamiliar with it.
Deleted User 5